Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Help with clutch; mushy pedal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 03:26 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help with clutch; mushy pedal

The clutch was installed 10 days ago. Since then, the pedal feel and travel have deteriorated as the car warms. Specifically, the clutch pedal starts to get spongy, then mushy(technical terms here), then after a certain point it won't return to the full position.

At first, I thought it was a fluid related problem. Possibly air in the line. I just had it checked, and there was no air. I also thought since it seems related to heat, that the fluid was breaking down over time. The fluid had no visual imperfections.

So, the problem is not due to fluid. So it's a mechanical issue. And it is definitely related to heat. What could it be?

As an example of the heat issue; last night at 9pm I drove to get some starbucks, about 15 miles away. It was still 90 degrees outside, and by the time I was in the drive-thru the pedal was acting up again. When I left, I took the interstate home. After getting off the interstate, the pedal was fine. I attribute this behavior to cooling.

I really need to get this taken care of. The commute to work isn't a problem. But the commute to home has become a daily adventure, wondering if I'll make it. Before I go to the dealer, I really need some solid ideas on what the problem may be.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you might need a stainless steel clutch line.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Staff Alumni
That's what I've determined. They're about $35, so even if it doesn't work, it's not a huge loss.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:24 PM
No problem.
BTW..
Where are you getting your SS clutch line?

Old 08-06-2006, 11:55 PM
Staff Alumni
Old 08-07-2006, 12:34 AM
Banned
Trey. I seen your post over on the 350z board. When I had my other VQ I ended up putting on the JWT clutch and flywheel. Before I did my clutch pedal wouldn't come back up after depressing it. Yes this only happened when hot (stop and go traffic). If you can...... Shift in to neutral and give a couple of good shots of gas(RPM's around 5K). If your pedal comes back it's probably your pressure plate is not releasing all the way. If you still have a soft pedal still it could and probably is your clutches master cylinder and/or the slave unit. This was a big problem on the Altima's. It's probably one or the other and I hope it's not both for you. I read your first post about this mod being not as good as you thought, but when I had mine done it was noticeable for sure. I never really like mixing and matching flywheels and clutches but if they told you it'll work..... who am I to say. Good luck to you.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:33 AM
The same thing happens to my clutch pedal when its really hot outside(Atlanta stop and go traffic). Im thinking a stainless steel line should help with it.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by RebelinRI
Trey. I seen your post over on the 350z board. When I had my other VQ I ended up putting on the JWT clutch and flywheel. Before I did my clutch pedal wouldn't come back up after depressing it. Yes this only happened when hot (stop and go traffic). If you can...... Shift in to neutral and give a couple of good shots of gas(RPM's around 5K). If your pedal comes back it's probably your pressure plate is not releasing all the way. If you still have a soft pedal still it could and probably is your clutches master cylinder and/or the slave unit. This was a big problem on the Altima's. It's probably one or the other and I hope it's not both for you. I read your first post about this mod being not as good as you thought, but when I had mine done it was noticeable for sure. I never really like mixing and matching flywheels and clutches but if they told you it'll work..... who am I to say. Good luck to you.
Bingo. It has nothing to do with the line. Yes, the aftermarket pressure plates usually have a bit more clamping force, but it should be so much that it's bulging the line. I've read about this problem on other VQ cars with JWT and ACT clutches. Many guys ended up swapping back to stock and the problem disappeared. It's a shame aftermarket parts rarely fit/work as good as OEM. So much consumer money is wasted.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Odd. Not sure how the PP not release when cold/hot. It's just a spring right? Do the G35 TB bearings still ride on the input shaft of the tranny? Maybe it wasn't lubed correct and the tranny is getting hot and decreasing the clearances. Thus the bearing isn't moving freely

Old 08-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Staff Alumni
I appreciate the input. I tried the rev method, and nothing changed. After reading a few similar threads over on my350z, I'm getting my hopes up for the clutch line. I ordered it today. If it doesn't work, then not a big loss.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Odd. Not sure how the PP not release when cold/hot. It's just a spring right? Do the G35 TB bearings still ride on the input shaft of the tranny? Maybe it wasn't lubed correct and the tranny is getting hot and decreasing the clearances. Thus the bearing isn't moving freely
A buddy at work mentioned the possibility of lube and the input shaft. He also mentioned the possibility of air in the line. After I told him that I ordered the clutch line, he said he just assumed the clutch kit came with the line. He said it's probably the line. I'll found out soon enough.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which line did you go with, Trey?

Old 08-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Staff Alumni
I purchased the normal SS line from sgp racing.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thats the reason why i got rid of my altima cause it used to happend pretty much every day and the dealer couldnt fix it

Old 08-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let us know how the Ss clutch line does. I also picked up the SGP one, but I'm a ways off from installing the clutch/flywheel... ...I hope.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help with clutch; mushy pedal