Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

transmission cooler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 10:11 AM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
transmission cooler

Here's pics of my transmission cooler that I installed last weekend. It's a nice mod to have if you're going to start adding power to an AT car. I like B&M coolers because they have a design that doesn't start to cool the fluid until it heats up a certain extent. You don't want fluid that too cold either.

I also put in an inline filter. I've seen that thing work. On my Legend, it turned pink AT fluid with tiny black specks into pink fluid only within 3 months.

If any AT guys want to install this, here's a valuable piece of info. The line closer to the driver side is the RETURN line. I had to figure this out the hard way, and got transmission fluid all over my driveway. Had to run down to the local Infiniti dealership and pick up more AT fluid.

131466-transcooler1.jpg

E_K
Re: transmission cooler

more

131467-transcooler2.jpg

E_K

last one

131468-transcooler3.jpg

Old 11-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice set up were did u get ur cooler from? how long was the install and how hard was it to do? thanks man looks great

Old 11-03-2003, 12:32 PM

Very cool, could you give part #, price and where to order. Thx

Crawford Plenum / Z tube + Stillen Hi-Flow / Borla Dual Exhaust / Stillen Xdrilled+Stotted Rotors
Best 1/4 mile 14.371 @ 100.29, 60ft 2.347

Old 11-03-2003, 03:52 PM

WOW! I've been looking for one, I thought I once saw a Nismo one but have never seen it again. Your set up looks good, If you can supply part #'s and such that would be great.

Thanks.

Discreet

2003.5 Ivory Pearl Coupe 5AT

Old 11-03-2003, 08:01 PM
E_K

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=BMM%2D70264

Here's where I got it. $49. Not too bad. B&M has a nice design that doesn't start cooling fluid until it heats up and reaches a certain viscosity.

Comptech charged over $100 for a B&M cooler that they branded under their own name. I bet Nismo would do the same. Don't pay more than $49 for this.

The filter cost me $15. It's a fluidyne filter.

Labor might be $100 if you have someone else install it. It took me about 4 hours to do this. It's not super hard, but you'll have to unbolt the plastic undercarriage under the radiator and remove your grille.

Old 11-04-2003, 01:57 AM

Great job E_K.

I've been considering the B&M AT fluid cooler but, like you, was concerned with overcooling. Where can we find out more about the temperature control aspect of this cooler?

Please share your installation experiences by answering these questions.

1 - I was considering the B&M 70255 (16,000# GVW) as our G35s have a 4360 -> 4509# GVW. Didn't you use B&M's 24,000 GVW cooler? Did you have a specific reason for such a highly GVW rated unit?

2 - Did you install your cooler in series with the stock radiator cooler? If so, was it in the return line (after the fluid had passed through the stock radiator cooler)?

3 - Did any installation assessories come with B&M cooler? What was needed to complete the installation? AT hose (diameter?), hose fittings, fitting reducers, clamps, etc.

4 - It appears that you mounted your cooler through the AC condenser? Did you have to move/remove the condenser or radiator to install the backside fasteners?

Thanks,

DaveO

Old 11-04-2003, 09:00 AM

what kind of mods are you going to do. I would think unless you were really pusing it stoplight to stoplight or on the track you'd be fine even with another 80hp. Someone please enlighten me.

Old 11-04-2003, 09:53 AM
E_K

1. I have each of the other B&M coolers on my Accord and Legend. Both of those get extremely hot after running, so I just figured that I would get the biggest one that would fit the G35. Not very scientific, I know.

2. Yes, it is installed in series. The trans fluid goes out the transmission, through the stock cooler, then through my new inline filter, then through the B&M cooler, then back to the transmission.

3. The model that I gave a link to comes with installation accessories. I had to buy extra transmission fluid hose, though, so I bought 4' of Derale transmission fluid from carparts.com

4. I loosened the mounting of the fans, then reached into the space between the fans and the radiator to install the fasteners.

I'll admit that I'm not a transmission expert, but every reading I've seen on this subject says that heat is the #1 killer of automatic transmissions. When I used to be on the Legend forums alot, someone had installed a high stall torque convertor on his car. After some driving, he could smell the trans fluid overheating. He added a B&M cooler, and never had that problem again. I don't think there is any downside to having fluid that is filtered and prevented from overheating.

Old 11-04-2003, 11:22 AM

I'm having a torque converter reworked. I was told that because of less sleepage (unless you brake torque your car alot) thefluid runs cooler not hotter. High efficiency! That makes sense to me. The overheating is due to brake torquing, not high STR converter.

Gurgen

Old 11-04-2003, 11:30 AM

E_K,

Thanks for the information.

DaveO

Old 11-04-2003, 12:59 PM

Gurgen - Actually, the higher stall convertor DOES slip more & thus generates more heat. I'm also having my T/C reworked to give me a 2800 rpm stall speed & I've installed a 18,000 GVW Hayden slim-line cooler on my G. This is the same setup I had on my GS400 & I've had no burned fluid yet. Whenever I get the T/C back from Level 10 I'll let ya know how it's working.

Old 11-04-2003, 03:34 PM

Hey MeanGene

Actually my TC is being worked on as we speak. I hope to have it on my car by next week. You are right, I wasn't thinking right. I am going to put in a cooler. My Stall speed is going to be 3000rpm. What do you think about that? I am being told not to worry about common day-to-day drivability issues. After all, the 3000 rpm is not too much. I could have gone to 4000 to be real aggressive, but want to keep my drivability unaffected!

Also, the trque multiplication of out T/C is about 1.6 I was told (by the guy that's doing my TC). It is goingto be moved up to low-to-mid 2's. Awesome. Getting chills just thinking about it. My car is gonna be MEAN when I am done with this.

What do you think?

Gurgen

Old 11-05-2003, 08:35 AM

Gurgen - 3k stall speed should be perfect for a N/A G! With F/I it might give you too much wheel spin ( but that's part of the fun, isn't it!!! ). Precision Industries offered 2 choices for the GS400 - 2400 rpm stall for a F/I setup & 2800 rpm for the N/A. I had the 2800 rpm T/C & it would flash-stall to a little over 3k which got the 4k# Lexus moving. My G35 doesn't feel that strong until 3k+ rpms so the stall speed we've picked should be a perfect fit as it'll allow the V-6 to slip ( HA-HA!! ) right into it's powerband. Look for about a 1 mpg loss of economy but it's a tradeoff well worth it, IMHO. Driveability is inproved due to better throttle response. Enjoy!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: transmission cooler