Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Play at top of clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Play at top of clutch

i pretty sure i read something on how to adjust the play at the top of the clutch, i just cant find it anywhere. anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? i have about an inch maybe inch and a half of useless play on my pedal when the clutch is fully engaged.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acside
i pretty sure i read something on how to adjust the play at the top of the clutch, i just cant find it anywhere. anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? i have about an inch maybe inch and a half of useless play on my pedal when the clutch is fully engaged.
Is this your issue?

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction-diy/168519-diy-clutch-pedal-remedy.html

Old 07-22-2007, 03:55 PM
no , the kit is great i just used the DIY and put one on, it feels great. my problem is that wen the clutch is fully engaged and the pedal is up all the way i will have about an inch of play on top where i can press the pedal lightly and there will be almost no resistance just play. i guess i need to tighten something i just dont know what

Old 07-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by acside
no , the kit is great i just used the DIY and put one on, it feels great. my problem is that wen the clutch is fully engaged and the pedal is up all the way i will have about an inch of play on top where i can press the pedal lightly and there will be almost no resistance just play. i guess i need to tighten something i just dont know what
Get down there and inspect what is going on. The clutch should interact with the switch at the top of it's travel. This is the cruise control switch (ACSD switch). This should form a kind of natural stopper for the clutch pedal.

If you see a big gap there, you can adjust the position of the switch closer to the pedal and see if that helps. Note that you do not necessarily want the pedal smashing into the switch, either.

Other than that, it's possible your plunger/clevis is poorly adjusted. You can loosen the bolt and turn the rod. This will lower the clutch pedal in it's "engaged" state, moving it towards the floor when at rest. If you lower it too far, your pedal will not return reliably when you disengage the clutch, due to helper spring(s) attached to the pedal assembly.

Knowing that... what is probably best is to get down there and remove the pin that holds the clevis to the pedal. Then, slightly raise/lower the pedal with your hand and see how it is interacting with the helper springs. If the clutch is fairly neutral or slightly pushing upward in it's resting position, it is fine. If it is pulling down the floor slightly, it is too low. If it is pushing upward strongly, it is too high. Knowing this, you can just the clevis so that the pedal is in the mostly neutral range. I would probably err towards the "pushing slightly upward" part of the range, to be sure you avoid the "pulling towards the floor" part of the range, as it can be really annoying to have a clutch pedal that doesn't always fully return when you take your foot off of it.

Any of that make any sense?