Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Manual Mode seems a bit hesitant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Mode seems a bit hesitant

Is it just the nature of the AT trans, or is something wrong here?

My car seems like it really kind of does it what it wants in the manual mode. For example, while accelerating moderately hard in 2nd and tapping the lever up for 3rd the car doesn't really shift until maybe 2 or 3 seconds after the lever was pressed. Or, pressing the throttle about 40% with the car in 5 will cause a downshift.

This doesn't really seem like a "manual" mode with the car stepping in and shifting whenever it wants. I understand the car has to still drive if the driver forgets to put the car back into D if they leave it in manual and come to a stop or need to pass, but this seems odd to me.

BTW, I have a 04 sedan, obviously with the 5AT.

Thoughts?

Old 10-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
MM will allow you to hold back on the upshift and downshift early. That's it. If you put it in 5 off the line, it will be "auto" and behave as if you were in "D". If you put it in 3, it will be "auto" until it redlines in 3 or you shift to 4.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:52 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalgulby
Is it just the nature of the AT trans, or is something wrong here?

My car seems like it really kind of does it what it wants in the manual mode. For example, while accelerating moderately hard in 2nd and tapping the lever up for 3rd the car doesn't really shift until maybe 2 or 3 seconds after the lever was pressed. Or, pressing the throttle about 40% with the car in 5 will cause a downshift.

This doesn't really seem like a "manual" mode with the car stepping in and shifting whenever it wants. I understand the car has to still drive if the driver forgets to put the car back into D if they leave it in manual and come to a stop or need to pass, but this seems odd to me.

BTW, I have a 04 sedan, obviously with the 5AT.

Thoughts?
Yours isn't a manual mode but a top gear selector. The coupe and 04.5 sedans and up have a true manual mode where you shift the lever up and it WILL shift (unless your rpms are too low). The 03 and 04 sedans would allow you to select the top gear in which the transmission will go to but will function as an automatic in the gears below what you select.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Well that's pretty lame. Any sort of programming out there to change it? I would much rather prefer the true manual mode. Plus, I thought mine was a 04.5. What are the differences?

Old 10-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I do believe there are firmware updates available. Not sure if it fixes that particular issue though. I agree it was lame that they even considered designing the sedans that way.

In terms of the delay between shifts, you can try Gord's GroundingGear wire set. It has helped many but doesn't help everybody - check the review thread. The only other option is a valve body upgrade. You could always try to swap in a tranny from a coupe??

Old 10-10-2007, 01:07 AM
Not interested in major mods like a trans swap. I'll look into the things you mentioned.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just fyi, the line pressure decreases in manual mode. i noticed it when i was monitoring different fields with the cipher. i cant remember the actual numbers but it was pretty substantial. before seeing the readout, i would have thought the pressure would increase for a firmer/quicker shift.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
As far as I know Cipher does NOT read the TCM. How are you getting a line pressure reading?

Old 10-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Try this DIY I came up with to improve shift response:

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...highlight=pins

The 5AT, on occasion, will not execute the upshift under certain part-throttle load situations. It doesn't matter what year G you have either because I've gotten 05 loaners to do the same exact thing. Overall, the manual modes in these cars are better than many of the ones currently on the market. At WOT, the tranny will execute the shift fairly quickly when you want it and the tranny will let you hit the rev limiter without upshifting.

The most responsive manumatic I've ever driven was in a new 07 Pacifica 6AT!! It would shift instantly at any rpm and under any load situation. It would let you start out in any gear if you want also. It seemed really odd that the tranny would actually let you attempt to accelerate from a dead stop in 4th.