Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

should i let dealer install my jim wolf clutch/flywheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should i let my dealer install my jim wolf clutch/flywheel?

my car was at the dealer on tuesday to get the driver side window motor replaced. while there i complained about the tranny grinding when going into 6th and so i'm getting some transmission work done under warranty.

the dealer mentioned that my clutch and flywheel needed to be replaced too. if i'm getting a new clutch/flywheel, i want to upgrade so i decided on the jim wolf clutch/flywheel combo.

the dealer said if i provide the parts, they can do the install for just $300 since they'll already be up in there. however, they can't warranty the labor or install since it's not oem parts.

my question is obvious. is the jim wheel clutch/flywheel install different enough from stock that i should let a specialty shop do the install (there are plenty of local shops here that are familiar with the install)? will the technicians at the infiniti dealer look at the parts and say "huh"? or is it straightforward enough that it's a no-brainer for anyone familiar with g35 clutches/flywheels?

i'd love to hear back from folks familiar with jim wolf clutch/flywheel installs on whether familiarity with these specific parts lends an advantage and if they think a dealer that's only familiar with oem parts would botch the install.

-r

Last edited by randogg; 10-16-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:51 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
personally, if a dealer is unwilling to warranty their work, I'd thank them for their time and go talk to someone who will.