Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

how hard is a stock clutch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 12:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how hard is a stock clutch?

I've been driving my g for a few weeks now and this is by far the hardest clutch pedel that i've had yet. Is the stock clutch fairly firm to press down cause i'm thinking that this car has an aftermarket clutch to match some other subtle mods that were already installed when i purchased it...

Oh, and it tends to chatter from neutral to first, first to second, and sometimes if you hold the clutch in to long while shifting gears...i.e. rpm drops while shifting...

Old 02-14-2009, 03:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...al-remedy.html

I am going to do this to my stock clutch tomorrow, might help you...

Old 02-14-2009, 03:53 AM
thanks. i'll give this a try. my question was more along the lines of the actual firmness of the clutch (i.e. when you press down on a stiff pressure plate clutch it feels like your leg is gonna break). on a scale from 1-10, how would you rate the firmness of the stock clutch? i've driven mostly hondas and toyotas in my past and they rate about a 3-4 on my scale. My G35 feels like a 6-7...

Old 02-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
While you're doing this $5 mod check the fluid in your clutch reservoir, make sure it's full. Also, if your pedal ever falls to the floor that's an indication your clutch cylinder is going bad. There's a rubber plunger inside that applies pressure to the fluid, when that leaks you'll lose pedal....FYI
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 11-02-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts
oh geez, the clutch pedal remedy.. cant u just deal with the fact that the g is the way it is? maybe its just me but isnt it a little cheap (quality wise) to do something like the clutch pedal remedy? i find that pushing the clutch in all the way helps to smooth out the shifts

Old 02-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
to turn a bolt to make the throw shorter is cheapening your car????

Old 02-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by 410g35
I've been driving my g for a few weeks now and this is by far the hardest clutch pedel that i've had yet. Is the stock clutch fairly firm to press down cause i'm thinking that this car has an aftermarket clutch to match some other subtle mods that were already installed when i purchased it...

Oh, and it tends to chatter from neutral to first, first to second, and sometimes if you hold the clutch in to long while shifting gears...i.e. rpm drops while shifting...
The G35 stock clutch has about the same stiffness/firmness as say a stock honda or toyota. I also had both a honda and toyota in the past and then drove a stock g35 and it was the same to me. It sounds that you have an aftermarket clutch installed in your car, maybe a stage1 or 2. The description you have listed sounds like one, because I had a stage 2 clutch before as well and it took me a while to get use to.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:06 PM
a really stiff clutch can mean you're clutch is going bad

Old 02-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by aannddyy
The G35 stock clutch has about the same stiffness/firmness as say a stock honda or toyota. I also had both a honda and toyota in the past and then drove a stock g35 and it was the same to me. It sounds that you have an aftermarket clutch installed in your car, maybe a stage1 or 2. The description you have listed sounds like one, because I had a stage 2 clutch before as well and it took me a while to get use to.
word. that was the answer i was looking for. thanks aannddyy.

clutch is still good. it's not slipping and engages just fine. The pedal itself it just hard to push down on...like when you install an aftermarket stage 2 clutch with a stiff pressure plate

Old 02-15-2009, 02:41 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by 410g35
thanks. i'll give this a try. my question was more along the lines of the actual firmness of the clutch (i.e. when you press down on a stiff pressure plate clutch it feels like your leg is gonna break). on a scale from 1-10, how would you rate the firmness of the stock clutch? i've driven mostly hondas and toyotas in my past and they rate about a 3-4 on my scale. My G35 feels like a 6-7...
dude do some squats and calf raises and youll be fine

Old 02-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by aannddyy
I have to disagree. I own a honda civic and the clutch is WAAAAY easier to handle than the g35's clutch. You need MUCH LESS force to use the clutch in my honda compared to the g. Maybe its just my honda?? It's a 01 civic coupe.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by eurodre
oh geez, the clutch pedal remedy.. cant u just deal with the fact that the g is the way it is? maybe its just me but isnt it a little cheap (quality wise) to do something like the clutch pedal remedy? i find that pushing the clutch in all the way helps to smooth out the shifts
Well I REALLY HATE the clutch on my g. I am still planning on getting the JWT clutch and flywheel in the future b/c I can't stand it any more. I own a civic and have owned an audi and peugeot when I lived overseas and this is the worse clutch I have had out of all those cars and I have test drove many other cars (my brothers m3) and still this clutch is way worse than all of them.

I did the clutch mod and it seems better. The only problem is that the shift into first gear is a little more difficult, but I like it more overall b/c it stops you from pressing the pedal waaaay down to the floor and I feel I have more of a grip of the car.

Also I agree as mentioned above that pushing the clutch in all the way helps smooth the shifts, but it slows you down.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:20 PM
g35 stock clutch is super stiff. ive had an altima, and civics and the g is by far the hardest clutch. its a mans clutch for sure. just make sure you down shift and rev match. i bought my car used and the clutch was not smooth and was chattery but now that ive babied it it is just as smooth as a civic clutch. but yes, the pedal requires 500x's the effort of the civic. takes a while to get used to.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by g35ctuner
g35 stock clutch is super stiff. ive had an altima, and civics and the g is by far the hardest clutch. its a mans clutch for sure. just make sure you down shift and rev match. i bought my car used and the clutch was not smooth and was chattery but now that ive babied it it is just as smooth as a civic clutch. but yes, the pedal requires 500x's the effort of the civic. takes a while to get used to.
Are you serious? A g35 clutch may be stiffer than a honda's clutch and such but it is definitely not "500x" the effort. Have you ever driven a stage 2 or stage 3 clutch before? Well I have and those racing clutch are "500x" the effort. You must be new to driving a stick or something because a g35 clutch is really easy to drive and does not require that much effort. Maybe the op is new to driving a manual but who knows..

Old 02-16-2009, 06:29 PM
OEM Clutch is stiffer than other cars - for comparison the 335 I just test drove has a softer clutch with more travel. Never really appreciated it til I drove the 2 cars back to back. Chatter can be normal for OEM clutch, although I personally have not had chatter going from 1-2. Could also indicate an aftermarket clutch and flywheel.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how hard is a stock clutch?