Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

tranny help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tranny help please

i just bought a used 05 6mt coupe car will shift fine when car is off but when car is on it will not go into first or reverse at all i have to turn the car off and put it into first or reverse if i want to move the car please anyone know what could be wrong or what is wrong?

Old 07-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
No idea buit i hope you're still under warranty... if so, bring it to the dealer ASAP!

Old 07-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im not anymore but thanks for the help anyone else have suggestions?

Old 07-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you know if the car has had the clutch replaced by the previous owner? I assume not but thought I would ask. There are two primary causes of issues with single gear selection (I know you mention 1 and reverse). The clutch performs the same job no matter what gear you are selecting. It can't determine what gear you are in or what gear you are going to. That being said you could have an issue with the synchro's on first and reverse.

It is also possible that you are having a clutch release issue that is limiting the actuation of the assembly. This would most likely result from a weak or faulty hydraulic system. I suggest that you check the reservoir for the hydraulic fluid that feed the master and slave. It is the little reservior that sits in front of and slightly below the brake reservior. If the fluid is dark, cloudy, or discolored then you need to flush and refill the system with fresh fluid. You should also check the line that runs from the master to the slave cylinder (it is under the car) to insure that it isn't missing the heat-shielding-wrap that covers the rubber portion of the line.

Let us know what you find and if you have any further questions. Thanks and have a good morning!