Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

No more Traction Control!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No more Traction Control!!

A lot of this info may be redundant to most of you but figured it may helps some noobs out.

The G35's traction control (VDC) is very intrusive and while there is a button to "turn it off" it doesn't truly disable the function. So with that said someone had discovered that if you disable the Yaw sensor buried under the center console that the traction control would be completely disabled and the ABS would still be retained. Sounds like a win-win to me. Most people just install an on/off switch for this function which works, but not to my requirements. I wanted to be able to disable the system and if I forget to enable it, it would re-enable itself automatically just like the factory VDC does. The wife drives my car a lot in winter and I did not want her to be sliding in snow/ice without the traction control active. After experimenting I realized that if I installed a momentary contact switch that was normally closed, I could accomplish this requirement of mine. I wired in my switch and mounted it in the center console under the arm rest where I can easily access it, it is out of the way, and can be removed with no notice that it was ever there. Here are a few pics and a video of it in action. I have already been out enjoying my new found constant power!!

Thanks for looking!

Old 07-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice! Great idea to keep it like the factory set up! I purchased a flip on/off switch, I have yet to install though...

Old 07-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Premier Member

Received 421 Likes on 339 Posts
Make a DIY! I need to do this but don't know where the wires are :P

Old 07-12-2009, 08:00 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by seymore4
Make a DIY! I need to do this but don't know where the wires are :P
+1 DIY please!!

Old 07-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
To be clear, it resets itself to "on" every time you turn the car off and back on?

Old 07-12-2009, 09:20 PM
As far as a DIY. If you remove the center console.
-remove the shift ****, carefully pry up on the shifter surround and place it on the side of the center console.
-Lift up on the arm rest, If you look towards the back of the arm rest where the hinge is you will see a plastic plate that can be pried up and placed aside. There will be 2 screws that hold the center console in place, There are 4 screws that hold the arm rest to the center console. Those 4 can be left alone. With the 2 screws removed lift up on the rear of the center console (I lowered the arm rest and grabbed where the hinge was and gave a good tug and the center console should come up. Careful though as there are wire harness's still plugged in. Place the center console aside. You will see a silver box with 3 wire harness's plugged into it. LEAVE THIS ALONE!! In front of that box is a smaller black box with 1 wire harness plugged into it. In this harness on the bottom row there is an orange with white stripe wire that is the power wire for the Yaw Sensor. This is the wire you want to cut into. Now most people just cut the wire and run it to a on/off switch which works perfectly fine. The system still does not reset until the ignition is cycled off/on even if the switch is set to on.

I used a momentary contact switch that is "Normally Closed" this means that the signal will be allowed to pass through the switch until I push the button. This works because once the signal is interrupted by pushing the momentary contact button, the ecu does not re-send the signal to check for the yaw sensor until the ignition is cycled off/on

I ran the wires through the 12v power outlet in the center console which just means I cannot plug any accessory into that outlet which I never do anyways.

515DS- YES-With the momentary contact switch the vehicle resets the traction control back on every time I turn the key off and back on.

Now i know some people have purchased the KP technologies module for the VDC button so that they don't need to push the button every time they get in there car. I installed the switch I did just so that I would not forget the traction control was disabled for when my wife drives the car. I found all my information my searching for Yaw sensor on this forum. If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Very ingenious.

Now if only someone could come up a way to control my HVAC temp through my steering wheel controls

Old 07-13-2009, 03:03 AM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Just throwing a thought out there. A quick splice terminal would make it easier to tap the wire and connect to another wire for the switch. Trbulnt, could you link to the switch you used?

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/productd...goryCode=3067E

Old 07-13-2009, 06:03 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by 5150DS
Just throwing a thought out there. A quick splice terminal would make it easier to tap the wire and connect to another wire for the switch. Trbulnt, could you link to the switch you used?

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/productd...goryCode=3067E
Splicing in won't work. You cut the signal, not tap into it.

You need a normally closed (Momentary Off) button. SPST-NC (Single pole, single throw - normally closed)
A basic, plastic one.

Or a shiny one.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 07-13-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Awesome. I might just go out and do this. Should be a pretty easy one.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Good idea. I might just get another KP module for this one.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Awesome! I autocrossed my G for the first time a month ago and turned VDC off, but I could feel *something* still kicking in. This is great; thanks

Old 07-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Why not just wire it to the VDC switch, so when you press it you cut everything.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Teh Redhead Moderator

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts
Interesting post, thanks! While it's probably not the best idea for me to have VDC off constantly on these wet FL roads with my tires, this would come in handy for autocrossing/track days like G35IRLracer said.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Why not just wire it to the VDC switch, so when you press it you cut everything.
Yeah, that makes more sense to me, and then you wouldn't need an extra switch. Does anyone know how to do this?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No more Traction Control!!