Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Odd clutch pedal behavior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd clutch pedal behavior

I looked around and either missed the thread, or there isn't one.

My clutch pedal is behaving oddly in the morning. I adjusted the pedal to a decent spot and drove around the neighborhood, no issues. Drove to work, lunch & tennis the next day, no issues. After leaving tennis, I couldn't get the car in reverse and first gear was tight. I could get the car to roll backwards if I depressed the clutch and tried to put it in reverse. I drove it home and it seemed entirely normal. Thinking I'd probably lowered it a little too far, I adjusted it back to stock figuring i would mess with it another day. Now is where it gets strange. The next morning, the clutch engaged about 0.5" off the floor vs. the seemingly 2" of stock plus the pedal didn't return all the way up to the cruise sensor which is where I had left it the previous night. I could pull the pedal back up another inch or so with my foot. After depressing and returning the clutch a about 5 times, the pedal was back to normal, with the clutch engaging back at the stock point and the pedal returning all the way to the cruise switch stop. It will stay in this state until I leave the car overnight, at which point the same condition returns.

Anybody have a clue what's going on? Air in the line? Bad master or slave cylinder?

Thanks in advance for any help.