Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Changed ATF and Rear end fluid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 12:04 AM
JER
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Changed ATF and Rear end fluid

Thanks to the guy who does the informative how to vids on the site I did some maintanance tonight. My 04 Sedan 5AT has 80k miles on it. I got it from Carmax with 65k miles so I have no clue of the history. I figured it was time to change some fluids. The rear end was easy I went with the Lucas 80W-90 Gear oil (GL5). Drained out 2 quarts of nasty metal shaving filled oil and put two quarts of beautiful clean fluid in.

The Auto Trans fluid I had a different experiance than what I saw in the video. Rather than using jack stands I have a couple of nice $50 ramps I got at wal-mart. I intended on getting 3 qts out of the pan and then getting a few more out by unhooking the line to the cooler and draining a few more out that way.. WELL.. Since I was on the ramps and at an angle in the driveway I ended up getting exactly 6 qts out of the pan!!! So I called that good and put 6 qts back in. I used the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF which on the back says it's good for use in cars calling for Nissan Matic J. I drove it around and didn't seem to notice a whole lot of difference.. The shifts seemed a little more firm but nothing major. Either way I think it's cheaper than buying the Nissan fluid and just as good if not better being a full synthetic. Plus it's available at most parts stores so it's easier to go get for people who work 9-6 M-F during the time the stealerships are open and don't want to use vaca time to go get ATF.. LOL

Old 08-15-2009, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude, flush that tranny and put back Matic S. Never mix different ATF. Good luck

Old 08-15-2009, 01:09 AM
JER
Originally Posted by mesias
Dude, flush that tranny and put back Matic S. Never mix different ATF. Good luck

Wrong. Read for yourself. I am gonna trust Mobil over a bunch of old myths. They didn't get to be the #1 company in the world by mis-labeling their products. If everyones tranny blew up after using their fluids I don't think they would have the record breaking profits that everyone likes to complain about.

"Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is also compatible with conventional ATFs."

"Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is formulated for use in most North American, European and Asian vehicles. "

"Also suitable for use in vehicles that specify the following fluid requirements:
Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K"

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English...hetic_ATF.aspx

Old 08-15-2009, 01:37 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Drain it ASAP if your car is still under warranty. I'm all for using non-OEM stuff when I can, but this is not one of those things you want to risk. Transmissions, autos and manuals, are EXTREMELY finicky when it comes to fluids. Right there under the hood, it specifically states YOU MUST use Nissan J-matic (S-matic now). Nissan wouldn't put that warning label there just as a money making ploy. Just because Mobil says it's okay does not mean Nissan or your tranny feels the same way. I can guarentee you Mobil will not pay for your $4K+ tranny if it fails or starts having problems.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:56 AM
JER
Originally Posted by DaveB
Drain it ASAP if your car is still under warranty. I'm all for using non-OEM stuff when I can, but this is not one of those things you want to risk. Transmissions, autos and manuals, are EXTREMELY finicky when it comes to fluids. Right there under the hood, it specifically states YOU MUST use Nissan J-matic (S-matic now). Nissan wouldn't put that warning label there just as a money making ploy. Just because Mobil says it's okay does not mean Nissan or your tranny feels the same way. I can guarentee you Mobil will not pay for your $4K+ tranny if it fails or starts having problems.

Lol. This board is so full of useless no nothings. DO some research. For one no automaker can force you to use their branded fluids. They cannot void your warranty either. All you have to do is use the correct TYPE of fluid. Using your logic I shouldn't use Matic S because the sticker under the hood says "USE ONLY MATIC J" I would be using Matic S because the bottle says it's "good for J". So why not use another bottle that says "good for J".

For those that can't comprehend this is how it works: Mobil calls up Nissan. Hi Nissan this is Mobil. We would like to make an ATF that works in your transmissions. Can you please provide us the requirements. Nissan says sure here you go. Our transmissions require blah blah blah. Mobil then makes a fluid to those specs and puts it on the shelves. It's not that complicated. There isn't magic fairy potion in Matic J & S. It just has to meet certain requirements that your normal off the shelf fluid may not meet.

In addition I have also talked with Nissan Titan owners whose trannys also call for Matic J or S and they have been using Mobil 1 ATF for 50k + miles with no trouble.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Yeah! you are right and Nissan is wrong! The rest of us... all ignorant!!

Old 08-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by JER
Lol. This board is so full of useless no nothings. DO some research. For one no automaker can force you to use their branded fluids. They cannot void your warranty either. All you have to do is use the correct TYPE of fluid. Using your logic I shouldn't use Matic S because the sticker under the hood says "USE ONLY MATIC J" I would be using Matic S because the bottle says it's "good for J". So why not use another bottle that says "good for J".

For those that can't comprehend this is how it works: Mobil calls up Nissan. Hi Nissan this is Mobil. We would like to make an ATF that works in your transmissions. Can you please provide us the requirements. Nissan says sure here you go. Our transmissions require blah blah blah. Mobil then makes a fluid to those specs and puts it on the shelves. It's not that complicated. There isn't magic fairy potion in Matic J & S. It just has to meet certain requirements that your normal off the shelf fluid may not meet.

In addition I have also talked with Nissan Titan owners whose trannys also call for Matic J or S and they have been using Mobil 1 ATF for 50k + miles with no trouble.
S-matic is a new fluid and the replacement of J-matic. I fully comprehend what you're saying; however, tranny fluid is one of those things where you stick with the manufactuer's fill. Is the Mobil fluid close to S/J matic? Yes, but it's not the exact same thing and it's properties are different and I can I assure you that. It's additive packages. ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL IN THIS CASE. This is the same case with spark plugs. I can assure you that running the same heat range OEM-replacement Bosch plugs in your VQ35 will result in boggy and strained performance and a reduction of about 10whp (as confirmed by numerous VQ owners). Just because it say OEM-replacement does not mean it meets the factory requirements and specifications. Nissan would not go out of it's way to put a warning sticker under the hood and IN THE MANUAL regarding tranny fluid replacement requirements. They don't care about oil, diff fluid, or coolant, just as long as you something that meets their minimum specifications.

Do what you want, but I can assure you that Mobil will not cover any damage done to your transmission. And if your car is still under warranty, I can assure that if the tranny acts up and fluid is inspected, your warranty will be denied. S/J matic has a particular smell and color and it's easy to identify it. Nissan's stand will be you didn't use the required Nissan fluid and it's clearly noted on the vehicle and in the manual. Your stand will be you used a non-factory fluid that reportedly meets Nissan specifications. You'll claim the Magnason Moss Act, they'll say deal with our lawyers. You'll have to hire an attorney, pay to fix the tranny (unless you want the car to sit), pay your attorney, and 5 years later you'll win your case and get money for the tranny. OR you could have spent an extra $15 getting the factory fluid and avoided this altogether.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
it isnt that hard to stick with what is recomended ..

but good luck .. let us know how its going ..

Old 08-15-2009, 12:29 PM
^^^^^^^^ amen ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 08-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
How many quarts did you buy for your rear? 2 quarts??

I gotta do mine...and my frint diff. I'm only at 40K though..i have time

Old 08-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by JER
Lol. This board is so full of useless no nothings. DO some research.
Dude, that's a bit harsh! Their advice is well intentioned... And in the short amount of time I've been on here, I've found DaveB's posts quiet useful/informative.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:03 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by G35fromTO
Dude, that's a bit harsh! Their advice is well intentioned... And in the short amount of time I've been on here, I've found DaveB's posts quiet useful/informative.
What a breath of fresh air. A relative newcomer that is insightful and intelligent. After 03Brembo and now JER, among others, I was worried that all the good noobs were somewhere else.

Hard to argue that DaveB doesn't know his ****! One of the most knowledgeable and helpful members we have.

Let me officially welcome you TO. Hope you'll stick around to learn and share knowledge about your G.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
DaveB surely does not speak out of his ass and knows his stuff. I too have read many of his threads and have found him to be full of very good and reliable info.

I've always been one to stay with OEM parts anyway. I still use genuine Ford and Motorcraft parts for my 18 year old Taurus SHO.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't think anybody has really attempted what you did. Most people are very hesitant, including myself for the reasons stated above. Although I don't see any real problems with using other fluids.

Let us know how it goes. I just didnt want to be the guinea pig.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
I don't think anybody has really attempted what you did. Most people are very hesitant, including myself for the reasons stated above. Although I don't see any real problems with using other fluids.

Let us know how it goes. I just didnt want to be the guinea pig.
I won't expect much from him. Weather it goes well or bad I wouldn't trust his opinion after such attitude.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Changed ATF and Rear end fluid