Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Manual Mode will not engage.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Manual Mode will not engage.

Hi all, new to the G35 thing. I just purchased an 07 G35x yesterday and today I tried to engage manual mode on the auto transmission. It went into 1M and then all of the sudden went back to D. It seams that every time I try to engage manual mode after that it just stays in D mode. After I turn off the car and try it again. It does not matter if I am driving or stopped it does the same thing. Anyone have any suggestions on what it could be?

Thanks

Old 06-18-2010, 09:53 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
07 - you should be under the powertrain warranty til 70K miles. I'd take that to the dealer if it is a consistent thing.

I know it happens when trans fluid temps are higher than a predetermined temp but I don't think that is your problem.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
i know in the G37x I drove .. when I put it in manual mode .. I had to either shift up or shift down when I moved the **** to the left in manual mode becuz the car was just driving in regular drive mode. Try doing that..

Old 06-22-2010, 01:58 PM
The car has over 100K on the odometer, so going to a dealer is my last resort. Other than that I have tried to move the stick up or down. It engages the first time and then just goes to "D" mode. No matter what I do it just stays in "D". It there a way to reset the entire electronics to factory spec? It might solve the problem, if not I'll go to my local transmission shop that I trust and have them look at it.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd call the dealer and ask them if its a known issue. I know that they had a few reflashed for the 2007 but that was mostly due to harsh shifts.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:34 PM
OK, a little bit more info. I think that it has something to do with the transmission being a bit to hot. The reason that I came to that conclusion is that in the morning everything works perfectly, however in the afternoon when I am coming home from work, it works for only about 10 minutes. Then it switches to D. I will pay a visit to my trusty mechanic and have them replace the transmission fluid and flush the radiator. Hopefully that will fix the problem.
I will also let them know to check for the debris in the transmission cooler as stated in the manual. Thanks Tollboothwilley for pointing me in the right direction. Possibly it could also be the temp sensor or the transmission switches themselves. I'll keep you posted.