Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Tranny/Torque converter problems??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny/Torque converter problems??

Hey guys, I have an 06 X and had the 30k mile service recently performed. A few weeks after I noticed some red staining on me garage floor and thought nothing of it- heres the problem. Now when I am cruising at 30-35(5th gear) and take my foot off the gas then 1-2 seconds later get back on it I notice a slight clunk like there is slck being absorbed or something. Also when I put put the car into drive from a standstill and dip into the throttle there is a slight delay then it slams into gear(again like there is slack or something). The car was flawless before the 30k service....what do u guys think, the car is not under warranty and Im not paying for anything if they try to bill me. I'm going to try to get it in tomorrow or mon morning.......
edit: I gues it is still under powertrain warranty- yay for me!!

Last edited by TwinInfin; 12-22-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
30-35 in 5th gear in Manual mode?

Slams into gear how? You hear a loud clunk?

Check your ATF Fluid level. Via the dipstick directly behind the motor in the engine bay. Transmission needs to be hot from normal driving and car needs to be on when you check.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Actually it's 30-35 mph in auto mode....im guessing its 5th bc that's what gear I count from the shifts.....not a loud clunk it's more of a feel through the chassis like the engine has to catch up to the tranny. When it's from a standstill(almost always on startup) it's like the engine revs a few hundred rpms then the car sorta jerks into gear - like a neutral drop......thx I will check fluid level-

Old 12-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Mr.202?

The engine catching up fealing your talking about is normal. your Torque converter is in Slip-Lock

Jerking into gear is not.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Who did the service and did they service the trans? Look under the passenger side of the car and see if you see the red fluid on the trans pan. See if they replaced the pan plug properly. It wouldn't be the first time a mechanic forgot the replace a drain plug or to replace fluids after draining.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Mr.202?

^ heh if they forgot to replace the plug his tranny is done, if the dealer did it. New tranny time!

Old 12-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Yes it was the infiniti dealership and this is what was done....if it wasn't so late I would go warm the car and check the levels and under car as you guys mentioned.... Yes from a standstill when I first put it into drive it definetly jerks into gear like a neutral drop!! I have a scheduled appt for monday 8am but if I get done at work early enough they said they might be able to squeeze me in.

Replace engine oil and filter
Replace in-cabin microfilter
Lubricate all locks/hinges
Replace automatic transmission fluid
Replace differential oil
Replace engine air filter
Replace engine coolant/flush system
Replace engine drive belts
Replace radiator cap
Replace transfer case oil (4WD/AWD)
Replace wiper blades
Multi-Point Inspection

Old 12-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
i get jerks sometimes from P to D or sometimes from P to R... my dealer said this was normal. idk if it is.. but is it?

now when i shift from D to MT the thing clicks when its moved.. its annoying.. i have issues i need to bring up when taking my car to the dealer next time.

also i know i was leaking ATF fluid after i had a complete flush from the dealer.. but the dealer said they didnt notice anything? around the pan its like greasy and dirty (from normal driving dirt)... but the actual nut was where the drain happens was super clean and a drop of ATF was super clean too.. so yea.. for now i have to check it now and then cuz the dealer said "we didnt see any leaking.. even after leaving your car 3 days)

i hate taking my car to the dealer.. seems they never wanna fix anything.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:35 AM
Mr.202?

Yea the P to R jerk is normal. If you put your car into Drive right when the car turns on when its cold it might jerk a little bit.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:43 AM
Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
^yea what the service guy told me.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
30k mile service on an 06 and you're not under warranty?

Old 12-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
He's still under the powertrain warranty, and since the problem started after servicing at the dealer, he should be covered

Old 12-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Yea the P to R jerk is normal. If you put your car into Drive right when the car turns on when its cold it might jerk a little bit.
Yeah mine almost always jerks into D from P on cold mornings.

Originally Posted by TwinInfin
Also when I put put the car into drive from a standstill and dip into the throttle there is a slight delay then it slams into gear(again like there is slack or something).
Mine very rarely does this, like it doesn't want to go into drive, and you give it a little gas and then all of a sudden it does. I would not be surprised if you are being paranoid because after getting all that work done, you are looking for problems.
I wonder what the likelyhood is that they disconnected your battery and reset the computer, which maybe needs to learn your driving style again?

Old 12-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Mr.202?

^ put the car into manual mode 5th gear go 60-70mph on the highway. Let off the throttle and quickly get back on. Youll have the same thing happen. Its normal.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:57 PM
For the most part it's behaving normal, and possibly I am being paranoid cuz the service. I'm just gonna drive the damn car and not worry bout it because goes in on monday and if they say it's fine then I guess theres not much I can do....prob normal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tranny/Torque converter problems??