Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Transgo VB Upgrade NOT for 5AT Daily Drivers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I would say it's an installation error. I just installed mine myself last weekend and if you don't pay attention and double check what you're doing, you can easily tap the tappered orifice into the wrong hole, install the wrong valve (2 are descirbed as big and 1 is small but they look almost exactly the same size), drill out the wrong hole or use the wrong size bit in the seperator plate.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
How rough the 2-3 shift is all relative the person driving. It is a *well described* characteristic of our transmissions - as someone said dozens of posts on this.

On my fully built 2004.5 GTM trans (with transgo VB in the transmission itself, not in the passenger side footwell) I think 2-3 is a stiffer engage than it probably needs to be at moderate rpms (like minimal load, not racing, just stay in 2nd gear and rev the engine to 3-4k while maintaining the same speed, then shift and it clunks).

That said, in "D" mode, the shifting is smoother, particularly if you keep revs below 2500. There is also no clunk under load (WOT). I also found my car got better in "D" mode over time (as in a few months daily driving).

I daily drive my G 9 mos out of 12 and I like the crisp shifts. The 4-5 shift is slow and mushy in comparison as are the downshifts. I don't put any load on the 5AT for those shifts...

Old 02-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I had an SGP valve body upgrade which is basically the transgo kit with larger solenoids and I had it for over 20k miles with a fully built tranny and it was never uncomfortable until I drove aggressively.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Boggess
I have painfully come to realize that with the Tansgo valve body upgrade, you will never get rid of the 2-3rd hard shift. I had the Transgo kit installed with my turbos and the 2-3rd shift got harder and harder over time. It got to where it felt like someone was rear-ending me when it shifted. After about 30k miles, it was so bad, I had to get my entire transmission rebuilt. $6,000 later, I got my G back, and I can still feel the 2-3rd hard shift. The problem was not fixed, just masked. I am at the point where I probably have to buy a new factory valve body just to get the transmission to shift normal. I would NOT recommend a Transgo valve body upgrade for a daily driver. I spoke to Transgo and they said they were aware of the problem and there was no fix. They have terrible customer service and had no interest in helping me. If anyone has ever been through this nightmare and knows a solution, I would love to hear it.
I've read that if your clutches are going out, the tcu will keep upping the line pressure to compensate. Right up until the clutches go out completely and you can't move. Could it be that your clutches were already getting worn when the transgo was installed?

Old 02-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
When I had my VB upgraded the shop said that before they did the upgrade they wanted to make sure the clutchpacks were good as this would be a waste of time and money if they were not good.

I eventually went with the fully built tranny anyways but I think people or shops sometimes overlook checking the clutchpacks when doing this upgrade,

Old 02-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had my transgo installed a couple weeks ago. 2-3 shift is the hardest but i would not say uncomfortable at all. Then again I've only had it for couple weeks so tough to say if it's getting worse over time. One issue i do seem to have is on highway some times when go WOT at high speeds in goes from 5-3 while in D mode. This is a very hard shift and makes loud bang, don't care for that much.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by lexx
Had my transgo installed a couple weeks ago. 2-3 shift is the hardest but i would not say uncomfortable at all. Then again I've only had it for couple weeks so tough to say if it's getting worse over time. One issue i do seem to have is on highway some times when go WOT at high speeds in goes from 5-3 while in D mode. This is a very hard shift and makes loud bang, don't care for that much.
It downshifts at WOT....? That's not good.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
I think he's experiencing the automatic downshift that occurs when you floor it. Its probably better to put it in manual mode if you want to floor it while at highways speeds.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Chances are you have an inadequate transmission oil cooler.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigc
I think he's experiencing the automatic downshift that occurs when you floor it. Its probably better to put it in manual mode if you want to floor it while at highways speeds.
Yeah sorry that's what I meant. When I floor it to get to WOT

Old 02-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric@TCGMiami
Chances are you have an inadequate transmission oil cooler.
I'm surprised no one asked about this. OP- do you have an aftermarket oil cooler for your transmission? If not, that's probably why your tranny fried. I hear it's necessary for any FI application and recommended for non FI if you plan on tracking a lot.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lexx
One issue i do seem to have is on highway some times when go WOT at high speeds in goes from 5-3 while in D mode. This is a very hard shift and makes loud bang, don't care for that much.
Mine is doing the exact same thing. I installed my transgo kit about 6 weeks ago. I didn't think it was supposed to affect the downshifts. Now I'm starting to get a little concerned that something is going wrong. Maybe the transgo kit is just exposing something that was already worn in the tranny. For me, the same hard downshift with a bang occurs when I use throttle input to force a 5-3 or 5-2 downshift with WOT.

Anybody have any advice or explanation of what could be going on inside? I'm pretty much a tranny noob.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
an automatic downshift if you mash the petal while in D is totally normal. the car senses you want to drive in maniac mode so it drops down a gear to give you a little more torque multiplication.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
+1 - perfectly normal. It will just happen faster with the Transgo and therefore seem more harsh.

Everyone with a 5AT should consider a transmission cooler upgrade. Decreasing fluid temps by an average of 20* over stock condition will generally extend life of the transmission by almost double. There is such thing as overcooling as well, so you need to know what size and setup is best for you based on your driving style.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Haha, yeah I know it's normal for it to downshift when I mash the pedal, but the harshness of the downshift is alarming. It's enough for me to avoid making it do it. I'm talking about a heck of a bang here. It would get your attention. I think I'll go back to driving in mostly MM and pre-downshift if I know I'm going to get on it. I get better response that way anyway.

willey, I've been thinking about fluid temp, too. Something is telling me that I have an overcooling issue with how cold it's been lately and my commute is 30 miles all highway, so I'm quickly in a TC lockup situation. I'll be paying close attention as it gets warmer outside. I need to install a temp gauge first so I know what I'm really dealing with. Any reco on a guage and where to install?

Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transgo VB Upgrade NOT for 5AT Daily Drivers