Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Switching from AT to 6MT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Switching from AT to 6MT?

I am the owner of an 04 Twilight blue metallic G35 coupe, the problem is it is an AT and I really want a manual. I would sell the car for a 6MT, but i have really fallen in love with the exhaust i have (Injen SES), and don't want to sacrifice it or go through the hassle of swapping it for stock, selling the car, then installing on the new. So my question is, can anybody give me an idea of what it takes/costs to do a complete transmission swap? I don't have quite all the technical knowledge myself, so I would be paying a professional. Also, how would the e brake be converted to a hand brake, as the AT has a foot pedal for the E brake?

Old 09-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Idk too much for tranny swaps for g's but when i had my auto scion tc and i researched it cost just about 4,000 or so to do the swap. And its a pretty hectic job considering the e-brake would also have to be swapped/converted. What i would probably do is find a private owner/seller of the 6speed and just tell him its a straight trade except for the exhaust then just take it to the shop and have them swap the exhaust you or you can do it yourself. That way you dont have to find a stock exhaust and deal with that then when you have the 6speed then deal with having a stock exhaust just chilling at your house taking up space.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I'll probably list it but the chances of someone who has a 6MT wanting the AT, and not getting the exhaust which is the only reason I bought the car are slim

Old 09-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
It would probably be much less of a hassle and cheaper to swap cars.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Hmm yea good point. But honestly dealing with finding a stock exhaust and doing that the hard way would be alot easier then doing a tranny swap. Check local junkyards and craigslist for some im sure there are a few good deals if your worried about money. And definitely finding someone that wants an auto and has a 6mt might be hard to find butttt if you do its a win win. Idk about those small dealerships but maybe check with them? Small chance they'd want it but you might have to look at trading for a higher mileage 6mt or something like that

The following users liked this post:
mbngo (09-05-2011)
Old 09-05-2011, 01:55 PM
yeah ill check

Old 09-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
The easy way is just pouring "MANUAL TRANSMISSION FLUID" in the AUTOMATIC tranny. The hard way is to sell the vehicle and buy a manual 6mt coupe. The other option is to blow twice the amount and swap it over to 6mt cause you like the sound of a crappy exhaust. Do you realize....forget it not gonna bother wasting my breath..enjoy and good luck in your venture what ever you decide.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:21 PM
First of all, its not a crappy exhaust, every car meet i take it to people say its the nicest sound they've ever heard out of a G35, and it wasn't cheap. Second, Level 44? What, do you live on this site? Get out and drive your car instead of staying inside all day and tearing people down. And please, waste your breath, what were you going to say? Because if its anything like the other horse **** you wrote I can't wait to hear it. **** off, and have a good day.

faiz23 (09-05-2011)
Old 09-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am doing the AT to 6 speed right now. It's not as hard as people make it out to be. I have done about 30 swaps on the 240's and the work on the sedan is about the same. I can do others if you pay me.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
LOL, makes no sense. You don't want the hassle of swapping exhausts, so instead, you want to swap out the transmission.

It's easier to sell the car and get a 6mt. Plus you don't have to worry about the reliability nightmare of conversion.

Trust me, its never the same.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:14 PM
@Ryder32, how much?

Old 09-05-2011, 04:16 PM
@jibberjabbers, I see your point, but you're forgetting that the only reason I would switch exhausts would be to sell the car, so thats two whole processes, not one. Not only would I have to find a stock exhaust and install it, which isn't what worries me, id have to list and sell my car, and then install the exhaust on the 6MT. Thats a lot of labor pay for a mechanic

Old 09-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by mbngo
Get out and drive your car instead of staying inside all day and tearing people down.
I took your advice and had a blast driving all over town and made sure never to skip a gear and rev match every shift. Oh man what a blast I really appreciate it and recommend you do the same but leave it in "D"

I am the owner of an 04 Twilight blue metallic G35 coupe, the problem is it is an AT and I really want a manual....................I don't have quite all the technical knowledge myself, so I would be paying a professional.
id have to list and sell my car, and then install the exhaust on the 6MT............ Thats a lot of labor pay for a mechanic
Please tell me how much you think it cost to have a mechanic remove / install an exhaust. Now please tell me how much it costs to have a mechanic do a full auto / manual conversion including towing expenses and having dealer program ecu/tcu.

Originally Posted by Ryder32
I am doing the AT to 6 speed right now. It's not as hard as people make it out to be. I have done about 30 swaps on the 240's and the work on the sedan is about the same. I can do others if you pay me.
Please let this gentleman know how much the full cost including parts and labor you would charge to convert a 2004 G35 coupe Automatic to Manual 6mt using a CD009 tranny, chromoly pivot ball, New clutch/flywheel, 1 free tree air-fresher and 12 month warranty.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
OP, trade your car in for a manual. The advantage of having the rev-up engine will be noticeable as well. You can replace your current exhaust with OEM by yourself.....

faiz23 (09-05-2011)
Old 09-05-2011, 11:18 PM
@faiz23 obviously if I knew the hassle involved in the tranny swap I wouldn't have posted anything, so there's no need to be an ***. I asked an honest question, because I didnt know. I admit I over reacted at first, but seriously, I was just curious.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Switching from AT to 6MT?