Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

ACT clutch and flywheel installed - INSANE RATTLE at low RPM

Old 07-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACT clutch and flywheel installed - INSANE RATTLE at low RPM

I just recently had and a ACT Clutch and Flywheel installed. It seems to work fairly well except 2 things:
1 - At low RPM I have a very very loud rattle and noise coming from under the car. It is very noticeable and I initially thought it may have been a normal noise, but was informed it was far from normal and needs to be addressed. They think it was my clutch and the transmission fluid needs to be flushed.. could this do it?
2 - I seem to have a bit of a sticking clutch pedal, not much but there seems to be a small stick.

Any help would be absolutely great. Thanks

Old 07-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
hard to diagnose over the internet man..

all i can tell u is i had an act clutch and flywheel and it had chatter at idle or if the car was lugged way down...normal chatter though..if your clutch is pushed in does it go away?

Old 07-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by tylerxfire
hard to diagnose over the internet man..

all i can tell u is i had an act clutch and flywheel and it had chatter at idle or if the car was lugged way down...normal chatter though..if your clutch is pushed in does it go away?
Yeah, internet mechanics can only be so good eh? Lol. I can distinguish the regular chatter from my lightened flywheel, and that noise doesn't bother me at all; I got used to it right away. Its just a very distinct, loud rattler, as though its a sheet of metal not bolted down right or anything...WAY louder then the chatter. I can hear it in the car and it can be heard over my exhaust which is a feat in itself.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:45 PM
bump

Old 07-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
i think whoever installed it must have messed something up and that your gonna have to tear it back apart..like i said nobody on here is gonna be able to diagnose it over the internet..its just impossible..im doubting changing the fluids should matter but they should have been changed when the install happened...id call whoever installed it and see what they have to say

Old 07-15-2012, 01:46 AM
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
I ran a ACT prolite flywheel and I'm running streetlite right now and yes the rattle is pretty loud.
Don't quote me on this, but I heard the tranny runs quiet because of the dual mass flywheel. Therefore a single mass will lead to a lout rattle.
OR it might just not be aligned right?

As for your sticky clutch pedal, I'm pretty sure its the clutch slave cylinder. Mine was sticking pretty bad years ago. Got the slave cylinder replaced and haven't had any problems. Knock on wood*