Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

broken axle 06 g35x

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry broken axle 06 g35x

Hey im new here on the forums. I have an 06 g35x with a driver side broken axle. Somehow im guessing age or the car being slammed ripped the boot and I didnt realize until I heard something like metal on metal and I jacked up the car and noticed the the inner and outer boots were torn apart and no grease was left in them. I was going to just replace the boots and fill them with grease again but I noticed the bearings are also ruined. I called the dealer and they want $675 for the axle and I started to look around and a guy here in Orlando, Fl rebuilds them to high specs (Gator Axles is the company) so im going to let him do it since I autox the car every other weekend anyways he told me he would buold something alot stronger. My question is can I drive the car for about 4 days while he rebuilds it for ne? I figured its the driver side thats held by 6 bolts and wont leak fluid out like the other side. So can I do this or no? Reason being I dont have another car at the momment, well I do but its not running, and I would obviously not drive the car hard at all.

Thanks, Rafael

Old 11-08-2012, 05:04 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 237 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by rafe158
Hey im new here on the forums. I have an 06 g35x with a driver side broken axle. Somehow im guessing age or the car being slammed ripped the boot and I didnt realize until I heard something like metal on metal and I jacked up the car and noticed the the inner and outer boots were torn apart and no grease was left in them. I was going to just replace the boots and fill them with grease again but I noticed the bearings are also ruined. I called the dealer and they want $675 for the axle and I started to look around and a guy here in Orlando, Fl rebuilds them to high specs (Gator Axles is the company) so im going to let him do it since I autox the car every other weekend anyways he told me he would buold something alot stronger. My question is can I drive the car for about 4 days while he rebuilds it for ne? I figured its the driver side thats held by 6 bolts and wont leak fluid out like the other side. So can I do this or no? Reason being I dont have another car at the momment, well I do but its not running, and I would obviously not drive the car hard at all.

Thanks, Rafael
Short response...... NO
it's not a good idea, with no grease and bearings ruined, you run the risk of damaging other parts,
I would rent a economy car if I had to before I would drive on it like that....
my 2 Lincoln's on the issue
~Phil~

Old 11-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Just wondering, what can get damaged of driving with no left side axle?

Old 11-08-2012, 05:17 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 237 Likes on 148 Posts
Ok, so let me re-trace, there'd be no further damamge, and I suppose you could actually drive the vehicle, however it would definitely drive much different than you're used to, so you'd need to be more careful

Old 11-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
I would not drive it because of different problems that would come up.The first thing is the vdc/slip and abs system will go into default as the computer will have no info on what the hell is happening without the sensors.It is also an awd which can and might have adverse problems with the awd which could cause a transfer case to self destruct.Its your car do what you want....but me i would park it till the shaft is fixed and replaced.

I am in the auto repair industry and we love people like you...if you know what i mean...dont drive it.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Cool thanks for the info