Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Clutch pedal woes and some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch pedal woes and some questions

Hey everyone, bought my G months ago with a stock clutch pedal and bracket. About two weeks after purchasing the car, the stock pedal began sticking about 1/2 (Not just down an inch, like in other threads I've read) to 2/3rds of the way down. When that happens it makes it extremely hard to shift gears and the already notchy gearbox becomes even notchier.

To remedy this, I changed from (what I assumed was) DOT3 to DOT4 full synthetic brake fluid. While it did help for about a week, symptoms of hard shifting and VERY jerky gear changes returned. After doing more research I found many claiming that installing the RJM clutch bracket pedal fixed their sticky clutch pedal completely.

After buying, installing, and properly adjusting the new RJM clutch pedal to my liking, I found that no matter how long I drove the car, the pedal would fully return to the upright (unpressed) position. That was great, until after 20 minutes of driving I noticed the engagement point that I had set up and tuned had shifted down about an inch. I kept driving and after about 40 minutes of normal highway driving, the engagement point had "passed" the floor and I was unable to get the gear selector into ANY gear even with the clutch pedal ALL the way to the floor.

Of course I got home and checked out my clutch pedal installation work. All bolts were tight, but not overtightened, the locking nut on the clevis was solid and not loose at all, and the settings on the clutch that I had tuned were still set to the same settings. Weird. I gave up for the day and went to sleep. The next morning I drove the car to work and found the clutch pedal had returned to the exact spot and settings that I had tuned for when I set up the RJM pedal.

More research later I was convinced that my Master and/or Slave was bad or going bad. Not trusting my own wrenching I took the car into a trusted shop and had them swap my master for a completely new one, and then disassemble, clean, and reinstall the Slave. They also bled the system and changed the fluid again. After driving the car for 20 minutes nothing changed. The clutch was still getting softer and softer the more I drove it, and the engagement point was still moving down little by little - only to return to normal after sitting overnight!

So here I am, with a lighter wallet, and no improvement in drivability. I've been doing more reading on the G and Z's clutch hydraulics and now I'm finding that others have remedied this by installing Stainless Steel braided clutch lines.

Another shop basically called me an idiot for buying a car with aftermarket parts (My G came with an Exedy stage 2, and to my knowledge my flywheel is the stock dual mass) and told me it could be my pressure plate that isn't strong enough for the aftermarket clutch. They even told me that since I had installed the RJM clutch pedal myself they were going to refuse to work on my car at all!

Now my question: Should I throw more money at the problem and replace the clutch lines with SS braided lines? Am I wasting my money? Should I have someone drop the transmission and see if anything looks off? This car is getting expensive for a fancy Nissan lol

Any help is appreciated