Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

South bend stage 1 clutch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 02:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
South bend stage 1 clutch?

Hey guys, mechanic recommended I replace oem clutch with a south end stage 1 because it'll be easy to use, a little cheaper, and can handle a tiny bit more power in case I decided to do little mods here and there. Anybody have long term reviews of It? Or just any input at all?

Old 10-07-2017, 06:57 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
You really only need a stage 1 clutch once you're pushing >300whp unless you just don't know how to use a clutch and smoke them a lot OR track the car. Stock clutch can handle quite a bit extra power with zero issues, the biggest reason to replace a clutch without any other performance upgrades is to switch to a lightweight flywheel (need a new flywheel if you get a different clutch anyways) the reduction of rotating mass free's up torque. Just be aware of the chatter you will inevitably have, some folks install a stage 1+ clutch and hate it because they didn't realize how noisy it was going to be, race car parts are designed with PERFORMANCE in mind and NVH isn't usually much of a consideration.

Also just a little heads up, a PROPER clutch replacement includes the clutch + flywheel (stock flywheel is single use and cannot be resurfaced), throwout bearing (typically included in most clutch kits), clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder (operating cylinder), AND a complete flush/replacement of all clutch fluid. Anything less is a half-assed job.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:54 AM
So the mechanic was saying south bend clutch kit but resurfacing oem flywheel. Thing is, I only have about 20k on the clutch but it was installed improperly and it's really stiff like I have to push it past something about halfway down the push

Old 10-10-2017, 02:57 AM
Also, I'm in school for 2.5 years so I wouldn't do any crazy power mods like FI. I was thinking maybe exhaust, suspension mods

Old 10-10-2017, 06:54 AM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Is this the same mechanic that put it in improperly?
How about re-installing properly what you already have again?

Old 10-10-2017, 11:09 AM
Nah it was installed improperly before I bought it 2 years ago but it was my first stickshift car ever so i didnt know it was wrong. Its perfectly driveable but something is definitely done wrong

Old 10-10-2017, 12:16 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Can't resurface the stock flywheel, I would find a mechanic who works on this platform more.

Edit: The OEM DM flywheel can physically be resurfaced but requires a lot of special work and runs a high risk of not being balanced. Any machine shop that WIL resurface it is as the owners risk and will not warranty the work for balance.

Better off going with the SB LW flywheel to match that new clutch.

Last edited by cleric670; 10-10-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Got it. It's weird because they were recommended by somebody here on g35driver.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.