Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

JDM trans

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock g35 with rims
JDM trans

I have to replace my AT trans in my 06 g35. I was wondering if anyone knows if the JDM version will work in place of American version

JDM rx02w
American RE5r05a

Old 02-28-2019, 03:15 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,458 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Where did you get this RX02W part number from the Jatco transmission is made in Japan.

Japanese Automatic Transmission COmpany = JATCO

There are no other part numbers, they were made and installed in the G35 in Japan before being shipped over to the USA as a fully assembled vehicle.

I suspect it's an internal stock number that the distributor is using.

There are multiple revisions of the RE5R05A so make sure you get the correct one.

All Most of the Japanese manufacturers use Jatco so you may be looking at a part number for Subaru/Suzuki/Mitsubishi.

Pretty sure Honda and Toyotas never came equipped with Jatco transmissions though so you shouldn't need to cross reference those numbers

Old 02-28-2019, 03:38 PM
Stock g35 with rims
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Where did you get this RX02W part number from the Jatco transmission is made in Japan.

Japanese Automatic Transmission COmpany = JATCO

There are no other part numbers, they were made and installed in the G35 in Japan before being shipped over to the USA as a fully assembled vehicle.

I suspect it's an internal stock number that the distributor is using.

There are multiple revisions of the RE5R05A so make sure you get the correct one.

All Most of the Japanese manufacturers use Jatco so you may be looking at a part number for Subaru/Suzuki/Mitsubishi.

Pretty sure Honda and Toyotas never came equipped with Jatco transmissions though so you shouldn't need to cross reference those numbers
It was located on top of the bell housing

Old 02-28-2019, 09:00 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
That's probably just an indentifier for the bellhousing, cast parts have random stuff on them all the time. As long as you can read the tag on the side of the gearbox that's the only parts the matters.

The bellhousing is removable, in fact it's the first piece you unbolt when disassembling a transmission.

You also want to make sure it has the correct harness to save yourself some headache, the two major styles are one with 3x green harnesses and one with a single large black harness flush with the transmission gearbox.

Some folks require dealership reprogramming of the TCM, some don't. If you keep your existing valve body and TCM then you definitely won't need reprogramming, not sure what condition your valve body is in though.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:16 AM
Stock g35 with rims
Jdm

Thanks for the help. I’ll dig a little more the transmission. My valve body had the common brake sensor issues.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:14 PM
Mi auto se desconecto la pila y aparecio at check y se quedo en 4ta velocidad
Mi auto tiene atcheck me podria apoyar si resolbio su problema

[CITA = Seesean; 7162596]
Gracias por la ayuda. Cavaré un poco más la transmisión. Mi cuerpo de válvula tenía los problemas comunes del sensor de freno.
[/ QUOTE]

Old 03-06-2019, 06:45 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
GOOGLE TRANSLATE: Lo mejor que puede hacer con los problemas de transmisión es llevar el vehículo a un taller de transmisión local y hacer que diagnostiquen el problema.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:23 PM
2005 G35X
Same question but with AWD version

2005 G35x
Is this the same valvebody steps when swapping out the AWD version US to JATCO?.. P0720 confirmed and DTC freeze frame p1574. So im suspecting that my TCM is fried. its not confirmed from my technician yet. Just wondering Since i beat the hell out of my transmission b4 changing fluids smh. I would rather pick up this low mile JDM and swap it for less than 1800 if my original TCM/Valvebody is good to swap over the

Last edited by Brandon Lee; 08-31-2020 at 11:00 PM. Reason: wrong quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:58 PM
2005 G35X
G35x jdm swap version

Originally Posted by cleric670
That's probably just an indentifier for the bellhousing, cast parts have random stuff on them all the time. As long as you can read the tag on the side of the gearbox that's the only parts the matters.

The bellhousing is removable, in fact it's the first piece you unbolt when disassembling a transmission.

You also want to make sure it has the correct harness to save yourself some headache, the two major styles are one with 3x green harnesses and one with a single large black harness flush with the transmission gearbox.

Some folks require dealership reprogramming of the TCM, some don't. If you keep your existing valve body and TCM then you definitely won't need reprogramming, not sure what condition your valve body is in though.
2005 G35x
Is this the same valvebody steps when swapping out the AWD version US to JATCO?.. P0720 confirmed and DTC freeze frame p1574. So im suspecting that my TCM is fried. its not confirmed from my technician yet. Just wondering Since i beat the hell out of my transmission b4 changing fluids smh. I would rather pick up this low mile JDM and swap it for less than 1800 if my original TCM/Valvebody is good to swap over the

Old 09-01-2020, 05:37 PM
Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
04.5 G35 Sedan 5AT
Since you have an X, not sure about the location of TCM.
All 03 and Early-04 RWD G35's have the TCM in the passenger side lower kick panel. While Late-04 ('04.5') RWD cars have the TCM relocated to the valve body.
I'm not sure with the X/Attessa unit if they kept it in the cabin or moved it to the transmission.

Old 09-01-2020, 05:52 PM
04.5 G35 Sedan 5AT
P0720 is for the output shaft speed sensor.
The sensor is located in the tailshaft area of the transmission on RWD cars (I'd imagine similar to the X), but looks like it plugs into the valvebody. Some effort to replace it, but perhaps worth replacing prior to the entire transmission assembly.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:56 PM
2005 G35X
Originally Posted by andrewl_v35
P0720 is for the output shaft speed sensor.
The sensor is located in the tailshaft area of the transmission on RWD cars (I'd imagine similar to the X), but looks like it plugs into the valvebody. Some effort to replace it, but perhaps worth replacing prior to the entire transmission assembly.
So u dont think my TCM is fried due to the codes i mentioned?.. i have 3 options of repairing this. I just wanna go for the path of least resistance lbs... Thats why im inquiring a JDM Swap awd.

Old 09-02-2020, 04:47 PM
04.5 G35 Sedan 5AT
Is the trans slipping? Are there any other codes besides the ones you mentioned??
I'd replace the part your car is telling you is faulty prior to replacing the entire transmission/transfer case assembly.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:49 PM
2005 G35X
Is the trans slipping? Are there any other codes besides the ones you mentioned??
I'd replace the part your car is telling you is faulty prior to replacing the entire transmission/transfer case assembly.
Yea, often the trans slips only when i let off n get back on it, not from a complete stop though.. specifically in 1st when the trans is trying to upshift to 2nd but wont.. Im currently stuck in 1st gear, Locked out of 5th gear and manual mode when the trans do decides to upshift properly.. Its weird man, thats why im suspecting the TCM.. but on the other hand ive heard that transmission speed sensors would do this, if faulty. IDK MANN, Japanese Ppl ****in love puzzles Smh

Old 09-02-2020, 09:57 PM
2005 G35X
"No other codes, jus P0720 confirmed, and a DTC freeze frame P1574"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: JDM trans