Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Question on rogue short shifter vs aftermarket....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on rogue short shifter vs aftermarket....

Ok, gang. I got my rogue shifter today in the mail and am super excited.

Now, I was looking at buying other setups such as the generic brands you find online, but settled for the rogue based on reviews on the board here...

Now, I have a question and its based on the picture attached below. Its one of those generic shifters sold online:

The rogue DID NOT come with the parts labeled A(black rubber boot?) and B(some sort of adjustment plate?) that the generic one seems to come with?
Was it supposed to? Are these parts needed? Do these parts make other setups more desirable?

Also, do I need to replace anything else while I am installing the shufter?

Please advise....Thanks a lot!

Old 09-14-2005, 10:01 PM
The rogue uses the stock plate and shifter cup. If you like, you can buy a new shifter cup which will make the install even easier. I reused the stock one. The new shifter cup is about $15 at any Nissan or Infiniti dealer. Now if you decide to use the stock one, the easiest way to remove it from the stock shifter is to follow the directions in the rogue kit (as to which direction the cup needs to slide off) and place the shifter n cup between 2 ledges. For example, I used a bench vise and closed it only enough to allow the stick portion to stick out and the cup to rest on either side of the vise. Find a lil piece of wood like 2x4 of something to rest ontop of the stickand now grab a hammer and give it a good whack! the stick will drop out. Now the cup will remain on the vise. GREASE (heavy grease) the ever living crap out of the cup and the ball portion of the stick (yes this gets perverted), and align the Rogue shifter with cup. Remember to make sure to install and remove the shifter by hitting it in the proper direction. Now with the rogue lined up resting in the cup, grab your wood to place over the shifter and give it another whack to set it in the cup.

CONGRATS - after this, the rest of the install is cake!!!

You also bought the best shifter made for the G!!!!! You wont realize how good it is until you get used to it and then drive a G with stock shifter. Difference is night and day!

Old 09-14-2005, 11:32 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
You do not need the parts A & B listed as Diesel1 is saying the Rogue reuses the original parts.

I reused my shifter cup, but only because I couldn't get a shifter cup down here and I was impatient. The install would have gone much faster with a new cup. The problem that I found is the rubber section on top of the shifter tends to rip when you try to separate the stock shifter from the cup. Long story short, just buy the cup.

As far as grease, I used a teflon based grease. Apply grease liberally and wipe off the excess after installing the Rogue shifter in the cup.

There are several threads on the install, do a search for a more thorough write up.

My only other suggestions are; (1) use jackstands, (2) make sure the car is cold when you replace the shifter (don't want to get cooked under the car), (3) keep the twisty tie on the sleeve of the Rogue until you drop the shifter in (if not the metal sleeve could slip out and you might not realize it).

Best of luck.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:09 AM
Much thanks to the both of ya! I appreciate the replies. I may try to buy a new cup first. If not, I will re-use. But, THANKS A LOT for all the advice!!!!

Old 09-15-2005, 02:28 PM
www.g35tt.com
If you buy a new "shifter cup" make sure you tell them you want a Control Socket. It will help the parts guys find it faster.

Old 09-15-2005, 04:19 PM
thanks, good to know stuff!