Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

TechnoSquare ECU - Opinions & Facts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TechnoSquare ECU - Opinions & Facts

A request... Would it be possible to reserve this thread for those who actually have the TS ECU upgrade?

Preliminary opinions:

1 - From day one the AT Sedan's were seriously de-tuned for "luxury" operation. Infiniti prioritized smooth, quiet, seamless operation. They didn't want their luxury car getting away from little old ladies on the way to their bridge games.

2 - The six-speed Sedan's stock ECU program and actual hp and torque numbers are very near the Coupe's. Recent MT Sedan 0-60 and quarter mile times seem to confirm this. The original AT Sedan's ratings were left for marketing purposes. Of course Infiniti can't rate their luxury sedan's HP & torque at the same levels as their "sport car".

3 - The AT Sedan's stock ECU program prevents the throttlebody's butterfly from being opened too quickly or completely at times. Luxury power must be "smooth". The stock ECU program also closes TB Butterfly as the engine approaches the stock 6600rpm redline.

4 - The stock timing curves are tuned to handle 87 octane gas. The air-fuel ratio richens up (detunes) the engine as the the rpms move closer to redline. Wouldn't want to hit the rev limiter.

5 - The stock ECU program adapts to how the car is driven. It's continually tries to put the car in the "luxury" mode. Keeping the car at peak levels of performance requires driving it agressively and resetting the ECU periodically.

Opinions after two days of subjective ECU testing:

1 - So far everything TechnoSquare advertised seems to be true. The nearest dyno is over 100 miles away in the LA basin, so don't expect dyno results from me.

2 - There are two TS ECU upgrade programs for the G35s. Both are based on modified 350Z programs. The one program has a richer Air-Fuel ratio for cars with Crawford's Plenum. I elected to go with the non-Crawford program for now.

3 - There's more power across the entire rpm range. However the engine's knock sensors still hold the power back below 3000 rpm, especially on hot days. The performance improves as ambient temperatures drop.

4 - The throttle response has improved at all rpms. No TB butterfly delay and no close off as the engine approaches redline.

5 - Theres more power due to the improved air-fuel ratio map. I actually seem to be getting better gas mileage at highway speeds. Of course, my heavy foot ECU testing is not doing me any favors GPM wise.

6 - Thanks to the improved timing and fuel curves the engine now responds more quickly across the board. To date there's been no pre-detonation in 100F, full throttle, high load conditions.

7 - The engine pulls much harder from 3000 rpm or so to the new 7100 rpm redline. The engine's top end power is much stronger. It also sounds great even with the stock exhaust system. I can now manually shift at full throttle and not hit the 7200 rpm rev limiter.

8 - The ECUs adaptive function is said to be much less intrusive. Don't know yet. Time will tell.

Finally, since the AT is controlled by a separate unit, the TCM or Transmission Control Module, there's little improvement in how the AT shifts. When in "D", my AT still shifts where it did... anywhere from 6000 rpm to 6500 rpm depending on how it feels at the particular moment. To get the most power out of the car I'll need to be in the manual mode and run it up to 7000 rpm or so. A TCU program upgrade is in order.

Well that my story and I'm sticking to it.

DaveO

Old 09-27-2003, 02:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: TechnoSquare ECU - Opinions & Facts

I know this is reserved for people with the TS upgrade, but I was wondering: Now that the redline is 7100, when you are driving in the auto mode and floor it, will the engine run up to 7100, or will it still peak out at the previous redline of 6500. Just wondering, because there are several times during the day when I will hit redline trying to pass someone or accelerating on to a highway. I was just curious about long term effects of hitting the 7100 redline consistently. Is there a way to save the new redline for tiptronic mode only?

'03.5 Brilliant Silver Sedan
Premium, Aero Kit/Package, Sport, Winter
Stillen Air Box, Z pipe, Clear Corners, Alum Pedals

Old 09-28-2003, 01:28 AM

My post was answered via PM.

Old 09-28-2003, 01:31 AM

"The six-speed Sedan's stock ECU program and actual hp and torque numbers are very near the Coupe's" ... How did you formulate this opinion or is this a know fact?

Old 09-28-2003, 01:03 PM

no the hp and torque for the 6spd sadens are not the same as the coupes. the reson the the sedan is getting 1/4 miles time close to the coupe is beace it is a lto lighter then the coupe is.

Old 09-28-2003, 03:16 PM

Hey guys

Here is the long-awaiting dyno that I just did. This is the same Dyno machine used for the z-magazines's exhaust shootout, so I can safely say that a stock 350Z 6MT (non-track edition) pulled 229HP peak on this machine. What do you guys think.

The green curve is the stock 5AT sedan configuration.
Check out the 241HP run. I am chanign my license plates, and it's gonna involve a remark about the Z!!!
Keep in mind, I have got an automatic that beat the Z by a huge margin, with a stock muffler! I am by no means done with my mods. I expect a full 25-30 rwhp boost with headers/stillen cat back.

Gurgen

Old 09-28-2003, 03:49 PM

Speechless[img]/w3timages/icons/shocked.gif[/img]. Why the hell would Nissan choke off a car's natural power like that? F*cking shameless. How much was the ECU update? Damn.... I know what I'm getting next. Screw U Nissan!

Old 09-28-2003, 03:57 PM

gurgenpb, what were the mods you had on at the time of your dyno run?

Old 09-28-2003, 04:25 PM

what i have listed on my sig picture. crawford plenum+ the cu tuned for it is what does the trick

the ecu is $595. I suggest that you get the crawford plenum, and then send in the ECU and ask danny for my program, the one for the intake/plenum combo.

Gurgen

Old 09-28-2003, 05:52 PM

Very nice Gurgen. I like the new sig too! That is my car minus the slotted rotors! I am looking forward to these mods. I am still hesitant on the crawford. Can you use the stock engine cover w/it? It doesn't really look like it. I am curious what benefits I would get with the TS and no crawford.

Old 09-28-2003, 08:48 PM

your benefits will be significant. Strongly recommend it.
look at the posts on the ECU benefits. especially DaveO's new thread in the Tech Forum.

Gurgen

Old 09-29-2003, 06:51 PM
Multi-Spoked Mod

hey,

would it be bad if i didn't get an aftermarket intake? Would that restrict the gains alot? I think the crawford and ECU is my next mod along with the electric fan! Come down to my meet Gurgen. I ain't going up anymore!!

Laterz,

G35Lin

Old 09-29-2003, 07:00 PM

it would be ok, but you SHOULD get at least the k&n drop in filter and teh z-pipe, will get you a lot of the characteristics of an intake at half the cost or so.

I will try to come down to the meet. What do you think about my dyno?. More info on the fan conversion coming soon.

khsonic,

forgot to answer your question on the crafor and the engine cover.

The cover fits without modifications, it just fits a little "differently". You have slight contact betweent he top of the cover and the fire-retardant hood padding.

Gurgen

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gurgenpb on 09/29/03 04:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-30-2003, 03:40 PM

Hi, Mike. Why are you so upset at Nissan? They are only helping the economy by supporting the speed equipment manufacturers. <g>

<font color=blue>Dan</font color=blue>

Old 09-30-2003, 09:13 PM

Hey Dan, I gotta find something to bitch about since this car runs so damn good. [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I am very giddy about the potential this car has to offer without ripping the engine out. Just sad that Infinity had to clip it's wings for a granny to drive.

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TechnoSquare ECU - Opinions & Facts