Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Have you replaced YOUR CLUTCH???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asianautica
Driving condition plays a big roll in how long the clutch last as well. If most of the 50k miles is in stop and go traffic where you have no choice but to slip it a little all the time. Going from 0 to 10 MPH to 0 again. You can't control that. Mine went out somewhere in the mid 40k and that was my driving situation most of those mileage.
I did this while living in Houston Texas and we have some of the worlds worst traffic situations which I am part of on a daily basis so you can't use this defense; sorry... Like I said, a clutch should last at least 50K or it's the drivers fault...

OK, I give up; I guess if you are pulling a trailer, or maybe a boat with your G, then maybe it should crap out before 50K.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Driving condition plays a big roll in how long the clutch last as well. If most of the 50k miles is in stop and go traffic where you have no choice but to slip it a little all the time. Going from 0 to 10 MPH to 0 again. You can't control that. Mine went out somewhere in the mid 40k and that was my driving situation most of those mileage.
I must give you credit; you got more than 40K

Old 03-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by htownboy
I did this while living in Houston Texas and we have some of the worlds worst traffic situations which I am part of on a daily basis so you can't use this defense; sorry... Like I said, a clutch should last at least 50K or it's the drivers fault...

OK, I give up; I guess if you are pulling a trailer, or maybe a boat with your G, then maybe it should crap out before 50K.
Lets see, I have a modded integra before, got over 100k on that clutch. Same driver, same driving condition. The G, I got 45k. Is that the driver's fault? If it is, then so be it. It still mean the Integra can take the abuse 2X better. Take it for what it's worth.

Old 03-18-2007, 03:55 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Lets see, I have a modded integra before, got over 100k on that clutch. Same driver, same driving condition. The G, I got 45k. Is that the driver's fault? If it is, then so be it. It still mean the Integra can take the abuse 2X better. Take it for what it's worth.
Integra also weighs literally almost 1000 pounds less than a G35 Coupe. That has everything to do with clutch wear from a standstill.... not to mention that it probably had a lot smaller/lighter wheels and tires as well as a lightweight drivetrain as far as rotational mass is concerned(less heavy duty tranny, and no driveshaft or differential since an Integra is FWD).

Last edited by partyman66; 03-18-2007 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:31 AM
Originally Posted by partyman66
Integra also weighs literally almost 1000 pounds less than a G35 Coupe. That has everything to do with clutch wear from a standstill.... not to mention that it probably had a lot smaller/lighter wheels and tires as well as a lightweight drivetrain as far as rotational mass is concerned(less heavy duty tranny, and no driveshaft or differential since an Integra is FWD).
Yes, but I've taken the Integra to the drag strip & autoX many times. None w/ the G. I do agree with your assessment in term of more stress since the G is heavier and is RWD vs FWD. But the wheels I have on the G is the same size as the Integra but it's at least 2-3 lb lighter per wheel.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by EX-250
Something tells me your parents bought the car a month ago
Nah actualy i'm 22 and my parents did not buy me the car i bought it myself just like my x5

Old 03-18-2007, 12:35 PM
i just got my car back from the mechanic today , i bought jim wolf clutch with presure disk and i kept the oem flywheel, the clutch is a bit stiffer but verry little, but it grabs like crazy , the mechanic told me that the owner b4 me had to beat the crap out of it , now even shifting gears is alot smoother than b4

Old 03-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by warzywko
Nah actualy i'm 22 and my parents did not buy me the car i bought it myself just like my x5

Well, if thats true congradulations, but the way you obviously treat your car says otherwise. Paying for something should give you a sense of responsibility and respect, not hey how much can I cost someone else this week.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:34 PM
tranny replaced at around 1k under warranty... clutch replaced at about 45k under warranty--the pedal was squeaking so i brought it in and asked if it just needed to be oiled or something, and they replaced it under warranty bc they said there was something wrong with it that wasnt my fault or wear-and-tear

Old 03-19-2007, 12:36 AM
clutch for life

The clutch should last the life of the car. If it doesnt, either:

1- you don't know how to drive a manual; or

2- some part is defective

Old 03-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by adawar

i second that.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts
92K miles and still kicking and also praying.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:57 PM
I have 69k (bought it with 60k) on mine and the throw out bearing is singing but the clutch is fine. I think I'm fairly nice to the clutch, my integra has over 120k on the clutch and I've used in regularly to tow a waverunner and a motorcycle...not at the same time. I know I can get more life out of the clutch but since I need to change the friggin bearing Im going to get a new clutch...and probably a lighterweight flywheel.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by adawar

Wow, what car have you been driving? Last I check, most Japanese cars last at least 200k miles. How many clutch do you know last 200k miles except for the one where most of 200k miles is freeway miles.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
I got a 2005 g35. I drive it kind of hard.I got 37k on it and my clutch is horrible.Iam ordering and new clutch and flywheel this week.So if i was u and didnt want it to go out then u better baby that car which is hard to do.All i got to say is be careful.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Have you replaced YOUR CLUTCH???