Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Disappearing Oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Disappearing Oil

Has anyone had an issue with their motor burning oil, or oil "disappearing"?
I do all of my own maintainence - 2 oil changes ago, when I emptied the pan, the car was about 2 quarts low. Mystery since there are no oil stains, drips, etc. and the motor doesn't smoke like it is burning oil. Since then I have been fanatical about checking the oil every week or two at the most. Last oil change was just under 4K ago with Mobil 1 synthetic. Monday the motor starts making a raspy noise, checked the oil level and it is fine. Noise continued, so I dropped the car off at Infiniti this morning. Just got the call from the service advisor saying the problem was no oil in the car. She tried to blame: 1) me doing the oil changes myself - Didn't believe I was changing it frequently despite detailed maintainence logs, and tried to tell me that going to long between changes would cause the car to start burning oil! 2) blamed the use of synthetic oil, told me I need an oil flush @ $150 because my internals are dirty (I know this is crap as I have used AutoRx since I got the car and the internals are spotless). She has made it clear that since Infiniti has not performed the maintainence, they will not support gettting Infiniti to cover whatever issue my motor has. She said that the only way to bet Infiniti to cover things is to have them change the oil, and take it back to them for the next scheduled oil change - so they can check the oil level. My worry is this - obviously I have a major engine issue, but the oil disappearing is intermittent - I went 1 oil change with no disappearing oil after the first instance, so it may not "disappear" on schedule for Infiniti to "find" the low level. They need to address the issue before the car is out of warranty.
Any suggestions????:

Old 04-25-2007, 03:10 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
join the group of everyone else that has a VQ motor eating oil. It's mostly on the 05+ 6mt's but it could happen to any VQ motor. They cant void your warranty or refuse service to you if you have a log/reciepts for the oil and the change intervals. If they decide to give you a hard time, contact infiniti corporate and tell them the situation.
-GP-

Old 04-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup, join the club bro. My G is currently at the dealer getting a new engine because my VQ was consuming 1 1/2 - 2 quarts of oil every 1000 miles. The dealer does all of my oil changes and they did 3 oil consumption tests before they finally got Infiniti to approve a new engine. The magic number is 1 quart every 1000 miles. If you burn less than that, you are SOL. Over that and Infiniti will take action. It might be costly but I recommend doing whatever the dealer says to do and let them perform the oil consumption tests. It's gonna take some time though. I had to wait for a few months before they finally agreed to replace the engine under warranty. Good luck bro.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the replys. Good to know I'm not the only one having this problem.
I just picked the car up and the tech that did the work said to check the oil level every couple of days! He obviously knows I've got an oil consumption problem. I guess I'll have Infiniti do the oil changes from now on and hopefully they will take care of a replacement motor if the consumption gets high enough.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Not trying to make things worse, but be prepared for them to blame your Z Tube, Jim Wolf Intake,and Fast Intentions Intimidator Exhaust system for the oil consumption.

Stand your ground. Make them show you how these could cause the excessive consumption. Also. ask them to check and see how many 04 and 05 engines have been replaced nationwide because of oil consumption issue.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:32 PM
Yup join the club, ****ty *** VQ rev up motor imo. First 17k never burned a drop then I used mobil 1 and all my consumption problems began. This thread made me go check my oil level. I switched back to castrol syntec blend and now at 1700 miles since my last oil change I've probably burned about 1.5 quarts.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LazerRed1
Not trying to make things worse, but be prepared for them to blame your Z Tube, Jim Wolf Intake,and Fast Intentions Intimidator Exhaust system for the oil consumption.

Stand your ground. Make them show you how these could cause the excessive consumption. Also. ask them to check and see how many 04 and 05 engines have been replaced nationwide because of oil consumption issue.
Well they can try and they probably will try to blame your mods. They did in my case. But in my case I had a 2005 LR 6MT coupe that was more modded than my 06 and it NEVER burned oil. When I advised them to check their records for my 05 G that was serviced there, they new they wouldn't be able to blame my mods. They sure dragged their feet though. But in the end, my persistence paid off.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm sure this will end up being a pain to deal with. Thus far they haven't mentioned the mods. The dealership I took it to actually sells a bunch of performance parts - so hopefully that will help to dispute that angle for them to try and weasel out of handling it under warranty.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:31 AM
After spending the last day or so actively "surfing" the forum, it is shocking how common the oil consumption issue is.
I didn't connect the dots until reading another recent about this subject, but my oil consumption didn't begin until I switched from 10W 30 to 5W 30. Just before I got my G, I read an article that recommended 10W 30 instead of 5W 30 if you live in a hot climate, so that is what I was using until I let a friend talk me into going to 5W 30 since that is what Infiniti calls for. Infiniti put 5W 30 in it yesterday, so I will have to wait and see what the consumption is like over the next couple of thousand miles.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:52 PM
theres a LAW against that -
dealers can't blame an INTAKE PROBLEM w/ oil consumption. I know thats been the case for a long time - but theres an actual law that states this.