Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Torque and power?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque and power?

I was reading about how torque is for street and hp is for tracks, so does that mean the 5at stock is ganna take out a 6mt stock on the street? cuz
6mt=258 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm
5at=268 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm

i no it might sound like a dumb question, but i'm not all too familiar w/ all these stuff. Just want to learn more. Thanks

Last edited by BabyGT; 05-11-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it all depends on the driver. if you have a person who cant drive a mt then the auto will win all day long. but if you have a person who can drive stick ok then you better know how to drive your auto in the tiptronic mode realy good in order to win. i have a 5at and i have no problem taking out a 6mt with a good driver only because i have nearly perfected driving my auto in the tiptronic mode while racing it.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:32 PM
So w/ drivers that have equally good skill, the mt will win?

Old 05-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by BabyGT
So w/ drivers that have equally good skill, the mt will win?
yeah i think and if they have a 1/2 spacer that really helps with the tq

Old 05-12-2007, 12:50 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by BabyGT
I was reading about how torque is for street and hp is for tracks, so does that mean the 5at stock is ganna take out a 6mt stock on the street? cuz
6mt=258 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm
5at=268 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm

i no it might sound like a dumb question, but i'm not all too familiar w/ all these stuff. Just want to learn more. Thanks
This is a rediculous assumption.

No offense, but this "theory" has had to be one of the dumbest I've ever heard.

When you hear people say torque is more conveniant in the street, they are absolutely not talking about racing or performance. When you feel more torque, its a rather pleasing feeling. This does not mean you're going any faster. But it makes it feel more "powerful".

More torque, more "feel" on daily driving.

Remember, power is what matters (assuming everything else is constant) in acceleration. Torque is just derived from power.

Hope I helped!

Old 05-12-2007, 01:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HP to weight ratio - the only real deciding factor other than driver ability.

Also - remember...the automatic will 99% of the time, out-shift 99% of the MT drivers as well in speed, so there is an upper hand on the auto.

You can't assume 'everything being equal" and having drivers who can both drive excellently. If it were a computer tested algorithm, the cars would be inches apart at the end of a 1/4 mile.

Rick

Old 05-12-2007, 01:46 AM
Retired SuperMod
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
HP to weight ratio - the only real deciding factor other than driver ability.

Also - remember...the automatic will 99% of the time, out-shift 99% of the MT drivers as well in speed, so there is an upper hand on the auto.

You can't assume 'everything being equal" and having drivers who can both drive excellently. If it were a computer tested algorithm, the cars would be inches apart at the end of a 1/4 mile.

Rick
Rick has good points.

But 99% of the time is being REALLY optimistic/pesimistic. By "everything being equal", I was theoretically assuming the car itself is exactly the same, with the exception of the the tranny.

As far as the drag strip, I have raced countless stock autos. And heres my experience:

Obviously, its all a drivers race. It's just a toss-up when it comes to drag racing the two. But there's one thing I have noticed through-out my experience: I have ALWAYS out-trapped an auto.

Remember, im stock 06 6MT.

Besides, power should not be any concern when choosing a tranny. More importantly, what suits you best? As far as myself, I chose a 6MT because I wanted to have a bit more fun. I could care less if an auto were twice as fast as a 6MT. The point of a 6MT should not be about outperforming an auto, because like ISMSOLUTIONS stated, the auto will usually outshift the 6MT driver if the 6MT driver has little experience, but about what interest you the most. I could not give up the experience of having a clutch and shifter, in my case

Simple question: Which tranny do you prefer? Power should have nothing to do with it.

Answer that, and you have your mind made up.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:32 AM
thanks for the answers, that helped alot

Old 05-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
also remember the auto is going to have a higher drivetrain loss than the more efficient manual.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by sloppymax
also remember the auto is going to have a higher drivetrain loss than the more efficient manual.
This has been tested and written up on the board somewhere...can't remember where though. From what I remember, the AT had better top end v. the MT better bottom end - and they were pretty even in the end.

As far as beating an AT's shift speed...VERY hard to do. I've been racing for more than 20 years, can REALLY shift an MT fast...but it's really hard to beat .2 or better AT shift speed, but not impossible.

Also, for FI - AT's are better, as traction is better off the line, but that's not really what we're talking about, do sorry for the mini tangent.

Again, and I agree as well with SKATERBLAST - to each his own. It's what you prefer. For me, and the traffic I drive in, I prefer the AT. I boosted up the trans as well, so it shifts extremely fast as well.

Rick

Old 05-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Banned
Rick, you have a VB mod in your tranny? There was a guy who put one in an Altima and he video taped it. Man that thing shifted fast. I've been driving almost close to 30yrs and there is no way I could shift my MT that fast.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Retired SuperMod
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
Again, and I agree as well with SKATERBLAST - to each his own. It's what you prefer. For me, and the traffic I drive in, I prefer the AT. I boosted up the trans as well, so it shifts extremely fast as well.

Rick
Hey Rick,

Who's SKATERBLAST?

I agree with most of your points, but im not so sure about the "AT better top end vs MT better bottom end".

I have dyno'd my stock 06 G35 6MT with other G35's who were either stock or near stock. As far as that goes, I put down 265 HP, another guy with an 05 G35 Auto put down exactly the same numbers, except he was modded (5/16 spacer & exhaust).

I compared our power destribution within the RPM's, and I clearly had the upper hands after 5K. As far as below 5K, the difference was nothing significant. His torque curve was much flatter than mine though.

Dyno was done a dynopack. Both our cars were done on the same machine, 30 minutes within each other.

Overall, its nothing to brag about, since its still very much a drivers race. We did a race over at our local drag strip a while back ago, but the outcome meant nothing since it was my first race with a 6MT. I always edged him on the trap speed though.

On another side note (off topic), I noticed your numbers, and they're pretty damn impressive. Besides the Vortech, have you had any work done to the VQ? You're getting up there in power and would be slightly paranoid of blowing my engine if I ever passed 415 HP on a stock block.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:29 AM
Originally Posted by RebelinRI
Rick, you have a VB mod in your tranny? There was a guy who put one in an Altima and he video taped it. Man that thing shifted fast. I've been driving almost close to 30yrs and there is no way I could shift my MT that fast.
Yes. along with a few other things as well...it's really a very strong trans now...Rick

Old 05-14-2007, 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Hey Rick,

Who's SKATERBLAST?

On another side note (off topic), I noticed your numbers, and they're pretty damn impressive. Besides the Vortech, have you had any work done to the VQ? You're getting up there in power and would be slightly paranoid of blowing my engine if I ever passed 415 HP on a stock block.

Sorry about the basist miss there...I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that

I have done heads, cams, some of the fuel system (waiting to do return system until Cosworth intake is released), new bearings and caps and main bolts, with head studs too.

Rick

Old 05-14-2007, 01:43 AM
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Hey Rick,

Who's SKATERBLAST?

I agree with most of your points, but im not so sure about the "AT better top end vs MT better bottom end".

I have dyno'd my stock 06 G35 6MT with other G35's who were either stock or near stock. As far as that goes, I put down 265 HP, another guy with an 05 G35 Auto put down exactly the same numbers, except he was modded (5/16 spacer & exhaust).

I compared our power destribution within the RPM's, and I clearly had the upper hands after 5K. As far as below 5K, the difference was nothing significant. His torque curve was much flatter than mine though.

Dyno was done a dynopack. Both our cars were done on the same machine, 30 minutes within each other.

Overall, its nothing to brag about, since its still very much a drivers race. We did a race over at our local drag strip a while back ago, but the outcome meant nothing since it was my first race with a 6MT. I always edged him on the trap speed though.

Henry, think you were talking about me
Here's my chart...

the yellow numbers were my first run and the green numbers were my last run

Attached Thumbnails Torque and power?-1-001.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Torque and power?