Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)
View Poll Results: What kind of oil are you using in your G?
Mobil 1
42.42%
German Castrol
6.06%
Amsoil
9.09%
Royal Purple
19.70%
Motul
12.12%
Pennzoil
4.55%
Other
6.06%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of Oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by imandresing22
Doesn't the area of which you are located count as well? Say... Somewhere that the temp. is mostly hotter vs. somewhere where the avg. temp. is normally colder? Or do I not make sense?
That depends on the performance ability of the oil or not. AMSOIL Series 2000 0W-30 is recommended anywhere a 5W-30 or 10W-30 is used.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.
Distributing industry leading AMSOIL synthetic lubricants for 19 years.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:22 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
For dino oil? yes. As the "W" weight refers to the winter viscosity.

The good thing about synthetics is they will pour down to a very low temp before thickening. So if anything, you could run a higher W viscosity and still get better cold flowing then a lower dino version.

Basicly, unless you live where it's very cold in the winter, you don't have to worry too much if you use the recommend dino viscosities in the winter. Good synthetics, you can probably run the same weights all year round.

Originally Posted by imandresing22
Doesn't the area of which you are located count as well? Say... Somewhere that the temp. is mostly hotter vs. somewhere where the avg. temp. is normally colder? Or do I not make sense?

Old 05-20-2007, 12:32 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
the only reason traditional "dino" oil exists is because too much money would be lost in racing marketing... period end of story.

Which synth is better?... it's probably as much loyalty as any branding... but for some reason I have noticed better acceleration and smoother revving with AmsOil... Absolutely zero scientific basis – but I have enough evaluation to determine for me.

You will NEVER get scientific basis with enough evaluation to make a true informed decision on what oil is better. Truly, none is that much (if any) better than the other.

Viscosity is common sense.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by OCG35
the only reason traditional "dino" oil exists is because too much money would be lost in racing marketing... period end of story.

Which synth is better?... it's probably as much loyalty as any branding... but for some reason I have noticed better acceleration and smoother revving with AmsOil... Absolutely zero scientific basis – but I have enough evaluation to determine for me.

You will NEVER get scientific basis with enough evaluation to make a true informed decision on what oil is better. Truly, none is that much (if any) better than the other.

Viscosity is common sense.
The standard oil industry tests that are performed with an oil and pubicly available on a given oil's Product Data Sheet show substantial differences in synthetic oil performance. These are readily available from any oil company, save for one I can think of who for some reason hides the complete test results from the pubic.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.
Distributing industry leading AMSOIL synthetic lubricants for 19 years

Old 05-20-2007, 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by HiTechOilCo
The standard oil industry tests that are performed with an oil and pubicly available on a given oil's Product Data Sheet show substantial differences in synthetic oil performance. These are readily available from any oil company, save for one I can think of who for some reason hides the complete test results from the pubic.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.
Hmmm... does their name start with "P"?... Where are you you btw?... gimme some Ams!!!

Old 05-20-2007, 04:16 AM
Originally Posted by OCG35
Hmmm... does their name start with "P"?... Where are you you btw?... gimme some Ams!!!
No, but the second word in their name and it's first letter starts with a, "P". I called their technical services department to obtain the information, because their web site had oddly omitted it. I asked for their HT/HS, (High Temperature/High Shear), test results, which is a test that shows the oil's performance under high temperatre, high shear conditions, such as with a high performance engine. It's a very important oil test. This is a standard oil industry test that all oil companies complete on their oils, (along with many other tests), and so it makes comparing oils of different brands a clear cut matter. The first thing I heard was, "Why do you want to know that?" I explained, "So I can compare oils from differening manufacturers." I was suprised I was even posed such a question! You could have picked my jaw up off the floor when I was told, "I can't give you that information"! I was shocked, as it meant that maybe they had something to hide. Good HT/HS test results are justifiable bragging rights and if an oil company wont tell you those test results, personally I think they might be hiding something for some reason. This was the only oil company I had ever contacted that had refused to provide those HT/HS test results. Yet, they try to pass off their product as the best. Ticks me off to see consumers getting hoodwinked!

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:08 AM
I remember in the mid-late 80s - I was dating this chick whose neighbor told be about this "synthetic oil" crap.. and how NASA used it and the incredible properties it had... he was a distributor in bulk (by the barrel)... I though it was a bunch of crap and figured it was pyramid-marketing crap... He insisted I try it and went on and on about “it’s green” and can withstand X amount of heat cycles… blah, blah, blah…. I used Pens forever...

Funny how 20 years later I swear by the stuff and spend sh!tloads on it!

Damn I wish I had listened to that guy!... Even if it was a sales pitch – ESPECIALLY if it was a sales pitch!!!! What an investment that would have been!!!

Hind site! – Damn I hate that ****!!!

Old 05-20-2007, 01:29 PM
I use AMSOIL products and have for 20 years. Surprise, surprise! lol But seriously, I use the products because they perform better than any other product of it's kind and they really are the industry leader and have been ever since 1972 when they formulated the worlds first 100% synthetic API rated motor oil. Bold statement? Nah, just stating facts. AMSOIL is indeed, "The First in Synthetics"!

In my own cars I use the AMSOIL Series 2000 0W-30 for its fantastic performance and super fuel economy. In my daily driver, the fuel economy went up 12%! Saves me hundreds of dollars a year. Anyway, don't want to get off the beaten track here. If I get a chance to toot the AMSOIL horn, I do. lol

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.