Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Will MREV2 Work with Kinetix Plenum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Time to clear up some smoke here:
As Dustin stated the SSV (big shiny full intake manifold replacment by Kinteix) will cause a loss of torque and hp but looks very purty (as for FI results, I dont know - but with a stock car the SSV looses power)

Kentix Upper Plenum Replacement simply replaces the OEM upper part of the plenum with a larger & different material cover.. [which is the same thing as adding a 1/2" spacer from MotorDyne]. This is the ideal MOD for NON - REV UP MOTOR. So if you have a non-rev up motor your ideal choices would be Motordyne's 1/2" Spacer [I'd recommend this one], Crawford, or Kinetix.

With a 298hp (Rev Up) engine you now have a different lower plenum with fatter runners when compaired to the non-revup engine. By adding a Kentix/Crawford Upper Plenum (Or 1/2" Motordyne Spacer) You will achieve.. well next to nothing =). What mRev2 does is it replaces the "revup" lower plenum with a modified NON-REV-UP lower plenum. This will shift your torque and HP peak and curve to a range where we use daily. Then to bump it up motordyne adds a 5/16 spacer to increase some high end power (in return for a little loss of torque).

Now you ask why cant I just use the lower plenum of a mrev and use a big fatty 1/2" spacer (or bolt on the Crawford/Kinetix Upper Plenum on top) The answer is this: by adding a bigger spacer you'll be adding more upper end power.. But the trade off is you'll loose ALOT of low end/mid range torque and lower.. bringing ALMOST back to stock (but with a funny curve)...

So why spend the price of a mrev2 (lower plenum) and a upper kentix/crawford plenum only to run equal of not slower then stock..

so your answer boils down to this:
DONT GET THE KINETIX PLENUM
Get the mRev2 with 5/16" spacer
- OR IF YOUR ON A BUDGET -
Get the OEM (lower plenum for non-rev up VQ35s) and get a 5/16" spacer from motordyne

Lastly:
Modifying the intake manifold with the above mods of any combination will NOT cause you to fail smog.

If you're getting CAMs then you can throw all of the above out.. because you'll be going with a different drive train and you'll rev up to a different RPM.. But once you do that you might want to play around with a combination of the above to find the most useable/efficient intake manifold to adjust your power curve accordingly

Old 12-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, so on my '05 AT, throwing the Kinetix V+ will be exactly like throwing on the MDE 5/16" Iso spacer? Therefore, I should go for it?

Old 12-30-2007, 03:02 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Klumzyee
Time to clear up some smoke here:
As Dustin stated the SSV (big shiny full intake manifold replacment by Kinteix) will cause a loss of torque and hp but looks very purty (as for FI results, I dont know - but with a stock car the SSV looses power)

Kentix Upper Plenum Replacement simply replaces the OEM upper part of the plenum with a larger & different material cover.. [which is the same thing as adding a 1/2" spacer from MotorDyne]. This is the ideal MOD for NON - REV UP MOTOR. So if you have a non-rev up motor your ideal choices would be Motordyne's 1/2" Spacer [I'd recommend this one], Crawford, or Kinetix.

With a 298hp (Rev Up) engine you now have a different lower plenum with fatter runners when compaired to the non-revup engine. By adding a Kentix/Crawford Upper Plenum (Or 1/2" Motordyne Spacer) You will achieve.. well next to nothing =). What mRev2 does is it replaces the "revup" lower plenum with a modified NON-REV-UP lower plenum. This will shift your torque and HP peak and curve to a range where we use daily. Then to bump it up motordyne adds a 5/16 spacer to increase some high end power (in return for a little loss of torque).

Now you ask why cant I just use the lower plenum of a mrev and use a big fatty 1/2" spacer (or bolt on the Crawford/Kinetix Upper Plenum on top) The answer is this: by adding a bigger spacer you'll be adding more upper end power.. But the trade off is you'll loose ALOT of low end/mid range torque and lower.. bringing ALMOST back to stock (but with a funny curve)...

So why spend the price of a mrev2 (lower plenum) and a upper kentix/crawford plenum only to run equal of not slower then stock..

so your answer boils down to this:
DONT GET THE KINETIX PLENUM
Get the mRev2 with 5/16" spacer
- OR IF YOUR ON A BUDGET -
Get the OEM (lower plenum for non-rev up VQ35s) and get a 5/16" spacer from motordyne

Lastly:
Modifying the intake manifold with the above mods of any combination will NOT cause you to fail smog.

If you're getting CAMs then you can throw all of the above out.. because you'll be going with a different drive train and you'll rev up to a different RPM.. But once you do that you might want to play around with a combination of the above to find the most useable/efficient intake manifold to adjust your power curve accordingly
OP is not a revup... wasn't talking about SSV and you CAN have problems with visual inspection during smog check.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Dem1K
OK, so on my '05 AT, throwing the Kinetix V+ will be exactly like throwing on the MDE 5/16" Iso spacer? Therefore, I should go for it?

bumping my question because I'm possibly making the deal Wednesday...

Also, does the stock cover fit over the Kinetix V+ plenum, and is it easy to install? I'm assuming it's easier than the Iso spacer since you have to remove the lower plenum for that.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:40 PM

Also, does the stock cover fit over the Kinetix V+ plenum, and is it easy to install? I'm assuming it's easier than the Iso spacer since you have to remove the lower plenum for that.
there is nothing wrong with your choice... if it's a good buy go for it.

No, you won't be able to use the cover - but you're better off without it anyway.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

You can certaintly use the Kinetix with a MREV2.

But just a small correction, you don't need to remove the lower plenum for a basic spacer installation. But you will need to remove the lower plenum for a "Iso Thermal" installation.

But note: All MREV2's come with all the Iso Thermal components... And all MREV2's require swapping out the stock lower plenum.

...So in any case, you will need to remove your lower plenum anyways.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm not installing the MREV2, just the Kinetix V+. I wanted to get the MDE 5/16 Iso spacer but I got someone to do a trade with their V+.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OCG35
OP is not a revup... wasn't talking about SSV and you CAN have problems with visual inspection during smog check.
Yes they may ask a question but technically no because you're replacing a part with another aftermarket part with the same function that does NOT effect emissions, you're only replacing the upper part of the manifold and in no way modifying the runners.. kinda like an exhaust? no?, if not then oops

more like a 1/2" spacer

Old 01-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Ahh...Ok cool. Well it's on the way and should be here next wednesday. As mentioned above, I'm going to assume the installation is fairly simple since it's only a removal of the upper plenum?

Old 01-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Klumzyee
Yes they may ask a question but technically no because you're replacing a part with another aftermarket part with the same function that does NOT effect emissions, you're only replacing the upper part of the manifold and in no way modifying the runners.. kinda like an exhaust? no?, if not then oops
Don’t be too sure… the link below has a few good examples among hundreds… I’ve read lots of complaints of snafus. The problem is CA Vehicle Code 27150.1 uses phrases like “parts thereof” and “not limited to”… this opens a grey area if they want to snafu you.

Additionally CARB is in cahoots with law enforcement to cut emission and thwart illegal street racing – so both entities are scrutinizing after market parts to kills to birds with one stone.

So – you can take your chances, and likely you will be okay… but you very well may end up with a fine (or at least a “fix it” order).

http://answers.google.com/answers/th...59549#comments