Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Knocking and Pinging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knocking and Pinging

Has anyone had problems with knockin and pinging? I have ALWAYS ran premium. I have 11,000 miles on the car. The k&p is from 2000rpm and up.

There's a monster in my garage
G Monster

Old 02-18-2004, 04:47 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Knocking and Pinging

I've not had that issue nor have I heard of it on our G's, but if in fact you are experiencing knock and pinging, and your gas is the proper grade, then it sounds like your ignition timing may be set incorrectly.
Have the dealer check it out.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 02-18-2004, 05:04 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

is your gas cap tightened to at least 2 clicks?
maybe you are using BAD GAS... immediately fill her up with premium Shell or Mobile gasoline. Dont get the cheap crap like Marathon or Citgo
Else, see your dealer

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/350Z-intake<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by ramborami on 02/18/04 02:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 02-18-2004, 05:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. I've always considered Citgo to be one of the decent ones. Guess that comes from originally being in the South where they're more prevalent.

I've not had knocking problems. Recently I started an experiment. My car has been drinking Arco/Cosco quality 87-vintage gas, and seems to be running just fine on the stuff, possibly with a slight penalty in mileage, but it's too early for anything conclusive. No pinging or even noticeable butt-dyno differences with the cheap 87.

Suggest you consult your dealer and have them take a look at it.

Old 02-18-2004, 05:43 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I ran 89 octane in my 2002 I35 after the first 12,000 miles...never had a problem car still gave me around 25-27 mpg....

I was wondering if the G with 280 hp would suffer any detonation resulting from the low octane....
I know the manual specifies that premium or 92 grade octane be used with the G35....
I just don't know if saving a couple of bucks a month is worth any loss of performance/reliability....since I do about 2,000 miles a month on my car...and I drive about 50 miles each way each day...the last thing I would want is having car trouble as a result of poor octane quality...maybe even void the warranty????<font color=blue>2old4this</font color=blue>

04 cpe ivory pearl/willow/5at/prem/sport wheel pkg/clear corners/Piaa's

Old 02-18-2004, 05:47 PM

The manual actually has a different line for the coupe and the sedan. The sedan can run on 87 all day long. The coupe is only supposed to do it in emergencies, and some coupe members have reported pinging when running a full tank of the cheap stuff through a coupe.

Old 02-18-2004, 06:27 PM

I run WaWa or Safeway premium. I thought 92 was 92 was 92. What does multiple clicks of the cap do?

There's a monster in my garage
G Monster

Old 02-23-2004, 10:48 PM

what is knocking and pinging ???

2004 G35C IP/Blk 6spd navi/aero/prem

Old 02-24-2004, 02:01 AM

Most car these days have anti-knock sensors and I am sure G35 does too. Even if you are running 87 octane you should not have any knocking etc. The car should be able to adjust the ignition timing to off set on the fly. Of course you will have lower performance in this case but not knocking. If it is really knocking then you want to take it to the dealer.

2003 G35 Black Sedan

Old 02-24-2004, 02:31 AM

I was just talking to a friend about this, and im really glad its come up. Ive got a 2004 G35 Sedan, 5AT, and ive only been putting premium in it as of yet (only 350 miles). I live in Santa Barbara, and the gas prices are outrageous, Premium is $2.25+ a gallon, and its been draining the wallet for sure. Has anyone else ran 87 or 89 in their G sedan, and if so, any noticable differences in MPG/Performance?

Old 02-24-2004, 03:07 AM

shell always give me problem with my old car. i had a fully modify eclipse gst. shell always trigger the check engine light. but when i fill with mobile or chevron, no problem. Someone from this forum told me that arco and shell use a different system to measure the octane and that their octane rating is lower than mobile or chevron.

g35mt

Old 02-24-2004, 03:33 AM

I have a 1969 Chevelle with a 420hp 350ci engine. While fine tuning the engine after I finished building it I contacted Edelbrock for some help and they told me to run only Chevron premium grade gas in it because it is the best quality gas in California. I used only that since and have had no problems with knocking or pinging.

2004 Brilliant Silver Auto Coupe Leather
7 Wire Hyperground
Z-tube/JWT Popcharger
5% Tint Rear 30% Door
Injen Exhaust

Old 02-24-2004, 12:58 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Someone from this forum told me that arco and shell use a different system to measure the octane and that their octane rating is lower than mobile or chevron.

<hr></blockquote>
That's really odd.. as I could have sworn there were state regulations on how to measure that stuff.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

what is knocking and pinging ???

<hr></blockquote>
Ideally, the gas is ignited when the spark plug fires. However, if the pressure and temperature are high enough, gas will combust on it's own, without a spark. Higher octane fuels can withstand higher pressures without doing this. When the gas ignites on it's on, it's not doing it at the optimum time, and is usually fighting against the piston instead of driving it forward. This causes a vibration -- a knocking or pinging sound -- in the engine. It's not good at all. Modern engines have knock sensors that will detect this so the ECU can retard the timing to prevent knocking (and subsequently reducing power).

Old 02-24-2004, 01:44 PM

ryoken,
I believe Chebesto talked about the difference between ARCO\Shell gas and the others. You might want to contact him if you are interested in the topic...

Old 02-29-2004, 01:51 PM

Last night i first noticed the knocking sound in my G. I was parked in a parking garage looking thru some cd's, and i heard a knock, after a few minutes i heard it again. I'm at about 5400 miles right now and i fill my car up with citgo premium ever since i got the car. Do you guys think its the gas?? My dad's escalade has been using citgo premium since 2000 and he said he's never had a problem with knocking. I know, its a different car and engine all together, what could be causing this?

04 DG Coupe, Prem Package, Aero, Z tube, K&N drop in filter

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Knocking and Pinging