Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Who reprograms ECU (PCM)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who reprograms ECU (PCM)?

Having owned mostly Detroit vehicles, I'm familiar with how the aftermarket maufacturers come up with ways to reprogram or override the ECU (PCM).

Replace the chip (standardized or customized), plug in an overriding chip (standardized or customized), flash the chip with a specialized external programmer, etc...

I've yet to see anything of this sort mentioned on any G35 or 350Z forum. Nor have I seen any such thing on any aftermarket product sites.

Is this not done/doable for our "Rides"?

I don't think that changing the air/fuel ratio tables will accomplish much (if they're even used by these ECUs), the 3.5's power and tourqe curves are handled pretty well by the variable timing/valve system.

I would like to be able to reduce (eliminate) the 5AT's manumatic shift response lag time and shorten the time it takes for a shift to actually take place from unlock to lockup. (Similar changes in Detroit vehicles can be done via an ECU change or a specialized "Shift Kit".)

I would also like to be able to dial in my front/rear tire diameters in order to prevent any ABS, TCS, VDC, odo and speedo problems.

Does any company do this sort of thing for Nissan/Infiniti vehicles?

Screamin' Daemon - L5AT

Old 02-18-2003, 07:07 PM
Re: Who reprograms ECU (PCM)?

I havent heard anything about it but I would also be intrested in changing the response time and also the tire information..

..pestilence..

Old 02-18-2003, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second that. Keep us informed if you do find something.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 02-18-2003, 09:58 PM

I believe Nismo does that type of stuff. Nismo has a 350Z that is making 340 Horsepower without forced induction. I believe most of the power is from ECU tuning. Read this from Freshalloy. At the bottom of the page there is a link to rumours of a chip that makes 320 Horsepower for the G35 Coupe.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Old 02-18-2003, 10:34 PM

dealers have been specifically told not the change the ECU

Red/Canadian

Old 02-18-2003, 10:36 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what they told me too at my dealer.[img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Merlin</font color=blue>

Old 02-18-2003, 11:34 PM

That's why I like specialized OBD-x flash programmers.

You download the stock ECU code into the programmer then make the mods you want. If you need to take the car in for service on something you know is not related to your ECU changes (I.E. you've restored the original ECU code and the problem persists), you can (as stated) restore the ECU back to it's original state.

Screamin' Daemon - L5AT

Old 02-19-2003, 10:35 AM

I know a guy in LA who does this for Porsches. He did it for me and it and the increase was significant enough to allow me to beat the pants off of several other cars who weren't expecting it, including a Honda S2000 with VAFC modifications. I don't know if the equipment he uses for the OBD II on Porsches would allow him to reprogram the G35/350Z or not. He's supposedly the best in the U.S. and travels around doing this sort of thing as a way to make a living. He isn't cheap, but I can speak for the quality of his work and he is both factory and race experience trained in Europe. I don't know how to reach him directly, but if you think it might work I could pass on information for a place in Beverly Hills that knows how to reach him and you could try to line something up. I know he does this for Porsches and other exotics, but I have no clue as to whether or not that could translate to the G35. I suspect going Nismo would be a safer route in this instance.

Old 02-19-2003, 02:32 PM

I don't know, I have not watched him do it personally, I can only speak for the results.

Old 02-19-2003, 05:55 PM

Yes, that's part of what most of them do to their chips. But there's usually other options such as changes in rev limits, changes in or removal of speed limit, requirement of a 180 degree thermostat, shift points, shift firmness (quickness), tire diameter, etc..

Note, most of these chip programmers specialize in one make/model/year(s) and the one's I've known work on GM, Ford or Daimler/Chrysler (or whatever they are called).

The mediocre chip programmers only burn a chip with generalized A/F ratios, pulse durations, etc..

The good chip programmers are the ones who will take your list of mods and burn you a chip based on their dyno tests with cars with similar mods and/or their best estimate. Some will let you try the chip, gather data by "seat of the pants", runs at the track or your own dyno runs and modify the chip if they think there is room for improvement.

The best chip programmers are the ones who take your list of mods, burn you a chip based on that list, put it in your car, dyno your car with the new chip and repeat the cycle until they've done the best that they can do. Usually about one day's work (not counting your round trip drive time). They're not cheap, just the best.

Believe it or not, even though I live in Nascar country (North Carolina) I would have had to go North to New Jersey, south to Florida or west toTexas in order to get a specialized burned/dynoed chip for the various cars to which I've done this mod. That's why I end up buying the generic chips/programmers.

Screamin' Daemon - L5AT

Old 02-19-2003, 09:11 PM

on freshalloy:

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...c=1&PHPSESSID=

quote:

dfw - Is the RUMORed NISMO chip only for the coupe , or also usable in the sedan .

question:

can this be true?!?!?! if so WHY?!?!? I HAVE A SEDAN DAMMET

..pestilence..<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gsedanman on 02/19/03 06:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 02-19-2003, 09:57 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That's a good thread Pesti. DFW suggested the rumoured chip 'might' fit both Coupe and Sedan. Looks like we'll have to wait and see. He said their next meet is in March.

I made your F/A address above into a link for convenience, dude.
L8r

<font color=red>Gsedanman</font color=red>

Old 02-19-2003, 11:03 PM

) Thanks..
Somtimes I get lazy and dont actually LINK it.. then I hate it when others get lazy and not link it..
HEHE

..pestilence..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who reprograms ECU (PCM)?