Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

WHAT KIND OF SYNTHETIC OIL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHAT KIND OF SYNTHETIC OIL?

i am going to go in for my second oil change at the dealer but i was wondering what you guys think is the best kind, and what weight. please help. thanks

Old 02-28-2004, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: WHAT KIND OF SYNTHETIC OIL?

There are a number of threads that go into this in detail. Good brands are Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Redline and Amsoil.
You can get Mobil 1 at Autozone for a pretty good price, as well as the Mobil M1-110 filter (much better than the OEM). The Purolator Pure One filter is also highly regarded. A lot of Formula 1 cars run Mobil 1, so it works. You can go with a 10-30W oil, but 5-30W is also fine. To be sure you get what you want, take your own oil and filter to the dealer.

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways

Old 02-29-2004, 12:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ramo,

1. The oils mentioned above are all soild performing synthetics that are pretty much comparable, but only Mobil 1 is easily available over-the-counter (at least where I live).

2. If you live in a region where temperatures dip close to freezing, use 5W30, if not, use 10W30. The 5W30 is thinner and flows slightly better when cold. I use M1 10w30 in the year-round summer of South Florida.

3. Unless you will be extending your oil drain interval considerably beyond Infiniti's suggested interval (5K miles or more), it is not necessary to use synthetic. Modern quality conventional oils (GTX, Chevron and Pennzoil) typically show useful life up to 5K or longer. My drain interval is 7,500 miles.

4. There's a conscensus among some VQ35 owners that this engine prefers dino during its early life, and recommend a switch to synth only after 12K miles or so. I switched to Mobil 1 5W30 at 3500 miles and there was some evidence (not irrefutable though) of wear slightly above average for this engine.

Synthetic oils cost 3-4 times more than conventionals, so there is no cost justification for its use; most people use synth simply because they want the best oil in their Gs. It's purely a psycological fix, so do whatever makes you comfortable.

<font color=red>chinee</font color=red>
03.5 G35s

Old 02-29-2004, 10:06 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

ramo,

Take Chinee's advice... also dont forget that synthetics typically flow better on cold-engine startups... meaning you dont have to warm-up the engine in the morning just to get the oil warmed up (for every-day driving). This will save you quite a bit on gasoline costs (idling is a waste of gasoline IMO - especially if you drive in cold winters). You can save about a gallon per fillup.

For me, this is $2 per week, so in the long run, synthetic is saving me money.

But keep in mind not to drive spiritedly until the engine is FULLY warmed up - no matter which oil you use.

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/350Z-intake<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by ramborami on 02/29/04 07:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 03-01-2004, 02:48 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get Mobil 1 at COSTCO for about $20 for six quarts. So don't let cost stop you from going with synthetic!!

Old 03-02-2004, 04:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ramo, I personally use Mobil 1 but Amsoil is probably at the top of the bad @ss list of synthetics. I waited until my 2nd oil change. If I were to do it again, I'd wait until my 3rd oil change. I've read articles about today's new engines being manufactured so close to specific tolerances that some engines come broken in after 500 miles.

Everyone has their own opinion. I use 5W30 b/c I want that extra protection and easy flowing of oil at startup. Startup is where the most damage is down from metal to metal contact.

Make sure you stay away from those fram filters. Here are some good articles about oil filters and synthetic oils. Happy reading and you can come up w/ your own opinion on which is best for your situation.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/syn...cle/index.html

Old 03-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Have always used Valvoline Synthetic

2003 BLK/BLK 6-spd Injen clear corners

Old 03-02-2004, 08:59 PM

how much does that M1 oil filter cost?

G35S 6MT
Technosquare ECU
350Z Springs & Struts
6-wire ground kit

Old 03-03-2004, 09:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how much does that M1 oil filter cost?

Around $10.

Old 03-03-2004, 11:58 AM

This is just my 2 pennies... I had a car a couple of years ago and ran it on a dyno before an oil change with standard Valvoline engine oil and after with Royal Purple just to see if there were any HP gains. After the oil change and just letting the car idle for about 5 minutes, I gained 2HP! I was amazed! Unfortunately, I havent tried this with any other synthetics, but I've heard good things about all of 'em.

Old 03-03-2004, 03:23 PM

well, 2 hp could be attributed to the dyno's irregularities, etc. even with a grounding kit, eurotuner showed a 2 hp gain and a 2 tq loss. but still, synthetics probalby do give some performance gain though.

G35S 6MT
Technosquare ECU
350Z Springs & Struts
JWT popcharger + Z-tube
Stillen True Dual Exhaust
6-wire ground kit

Old 03-04-2004, 06:07 AM

I've found WalMart to typically be cheaper than Costco for Mobil1.

Old 11-10-2005, 02:21 AM
Banned
mobil sucks they all suck.. u want the good oil man made. Royal Purple high perfomance oil thats wat i use with oem filter or sometimes K&N. it's the best oil u can buy at pep boys... or top secret oil is good too but u got 70.00 for each bottle.

Old 11-10-2005, 11:27 AM
I don't understand why no one ever mentions Castrol Syntec, what is so horribly wrong about it? I used the syntec blend in my old Volvo and gained 2-4+ mpg compared to regular oil. I've always been a Castrol person and never had any problems ever. When my engine breaks in completely (still 1k miles :-D) I will probably convert over to syntec blend, then at 10k over to full syntec.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Cmon Son!
I havent heard anyone really talk about amsoil yet.. I was thinking of switching to this over mobil 1.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WHAT KIND OF SYNTHETIC OIL?