G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction-19/)
-   -   Engine Knock after sitting for a week (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/195487-engine-knock-after-sitting-week.html)

jayjay1122 01-02-2008 10:55 AM

Engine Knock after sitting for a week

I apologize if this question has been asked and answered, but I could not find this issue!

I recently went on a business trip and when I returned my 03 5AT had been sitting for about 6 days (the longest it has sat parked at one time since I got it) and when I got in, it started but the engine knocked VERY loud for about 10 seconds then immediately went back to normal...

First question: Has anyone else seen/experienced this?
Second Question: Is it possible that my oil had settled and as soon as it circulated everything was fine?

2 weeks have gone by and it seems completely normal, no power loss, no gas mileage issues, not so much as click or tick or any other noise you could come up with.

Any input would be great!

Thanks

sliderg35 01-02-2008 12:18 PM

This has never happened to me, but I'd go with the oil having drained from the engine and once the pressure was up, everything was fine.

ndlive 01-02-2008 12:24 PM

:eek: i havn't seen my car for 3 weeks... and won't see it for another few weeks. now i'm paranoid :icon43: :icon43:

Deezflip 01-02-2008 03:56 PM

Yes! this happened to me too about two weeks ago.

Didn't drive or start up the car for about 4 days and heard this noise. Sounds like all the oil settled all the way to the bottom and it took several seconds to circulate the oil, that's just my guess.

I thought maybe cause it sat for 4 days, ...4 freezing days. :dunno:
Whatever it was, it was the scariest sound i've heard yet on the G.

citymunky 01-02-2008 04:05 PM

I let my car sit for 6 months one time (Depolyment), I don't remember any knocking when I first the car.

ttrank 01-03-2008 01:16 AM

Mine just did something like that this morning.

Q45tech 01-03-2008 09:59 AM

Mobil 1 0w-40 in winter or year around.

jayjay1122 01-03-2008 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Deezflip
Yes! this happened to me too about two weeks ago.

Didn't drive or start up the car for about 4 days and heard this noise. Sounds like all the oil settled all the way to the bottom and it took several seconds to circulate the oil, that's just my guess.

I thought maybe cause it sat for 4 days, ...4 freezing days. :dunno:
Whatever it was, it was the scariest sound i've heard yet on the G.

All,

Sorry if I freaked anyone out with this, but I can see that I am not the only one.

Also as Deez mentioned in this post, mine also happened during a very cold week...

wHyTeCoUnTrY 04-26-2010 08:16 PM

Aahh this happened to me this morning and I was scarerd sh*tless! Went to vegas for a few days, came back, started up and the noise started! Turned it off, 5 minutes later, turned it back on to take video so I could show some mechanics without having to turn it on over and over and it was gone.

There's gotta be some answers! Even if all the oil settled at the bottom, how does that explain the noise? I don't see how that could case anything to KNOCK...?

**Edit**
Nevermind, just found this: The timing chain system is hydraulic. It takes a second for the oil pressure to come up and tighten up the tensioner...so the chains are making the noise.
Here: https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...-start-up.html

I revived a dead thread for nothing. Yesssssssss

CBRworm 05-07-2010 09:49 PM

I have had 2 maximas and 2 G35's. So I am somewhat familiar with the VQ's

In all of these cars, if they were started cold, moved a short distance and then turned off and allowed to sit overnight, the next time they were started it sounded like it was about to throw a rod.

The first time it happened I thought I blew the motor. Same thing the second time, I opened the hood, the motor was rocking around running on 5 cylinders and knocking like it was going to come apart. Then it smoothed out.

My G35 does the same thing. Probably 5 times in the last 4 years.

It is scary. I suspect it has to do with condensation.

Mustang5L5 08-29-2013 10:07 AM

Searched and found this thread to my releif.

Let my sedan sit for a week. Hasn't been too cold...60's at night, 80's by day.

Went to retrieve a address from my GPS and decided to start the car and got the worst rattle/knocking i've ever heard from the car. Even worse than that brief 1-2 seconds after an oil change.

Shut the car off and restarted it and was completely normal.

Glad to see that it could be the hydraulic tensioners being drained of oil. Still a little scary and something i'll think about every time i start the car now after a few days of sitting. I've let the car sit for a week before without this happening though. Find it funny that just now it does it.