Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Tiptronic not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tiptronic not working

Hey guys, I was screwing around the other day and hadn't used the tiptronic, or whatever it's called on our cars, and its stuck in 4th gear. Anyone else ever had this happen, or know what its due to?

Old 01-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a thread posted about this on the tech forum. Mines also on 4th gear as well, regardless if i'm rolling from a stop or coming to a stop. Plannin to take it into Riverside Infiniti for a check. https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetrain/198198-question-manumatic.html <-check out the thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:08 PM
This has been discussed before. There is nothing wrong with your car -- that was the way it was designed.

03-04 AT sedans are designed to display 4 when you shift into manual mode, although it could be in a different gear than displayed. When you shift into manual from a stop, the tranny will actually be in 1st, although the display will show a 4. This is because the tranny will automatically shift up and down, with the highest gear being 4th. Think of it as an overdrive at this point. Once you tip the selector down into a lower gear, that gear then becomes the highest gear it will go into. So if you are at a stoplight and you shift from 4-3-2-1, the car will stay in 1st gear when you accelerate until you shift it to 2nd, then 3rd, etc. But again, if you leave it in a higher gear (lets say 3rd) and come to a stop, the indicator will show 3 and the tranny will actually be in 1st. It is not a true manumatic.

04.5 and newer sedans (along with G coupes, FX, EX, M, etc) are designed as true manumatics, meaning that when you shift into manual mode, the display shows the actual gear you are in. So if you shift into manual from a stop, the tranny will be in 1st and the indicator will show a 1. Once you accelerate, the tranny will stay in that gear until you upshift. If you are driving and then slow down to a certain speed, the tranny will automatically downshift and the indicator will show the lower gear as well. So if you are going 45mph in 4th gear and brake to 20 mph, the tranny and indicator will automatically downshift to 3. When you come to a stop, the indicator will show a 1 again.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:56 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
My G must be an 04.5 then.

It shows what gear im in. (it still sucks though)

Old 01-20-2008, 03:56 AM
I understand that, but the indicator is stuck in 4th gear no matter when I engage it, or move it up or down and so is the gear.

Last edited by Pqbrown; 01-20-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:34 AM
manumatic shifter problem

i am having a problem with my manumatic shifter also but my problem is that when i switch it to the right to engage the manumatic mode it remains in D i cant get into manumatic mode......any take on the problem??? i have a appt on thursday with peninsula infiniti

Old 01-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
That one sounds like a job for the dealer!

Let us know what they say.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Called the dealer, car is out of warranty and I'm not gonna have them rip me off, I don't use it anyways.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:20 AM
i have somewhat the same problem

i have somewhat the same problem...i have an 2003 g35 coupe...when i shift into manual mode..the display says D still...and when i try to shift up or down nothng happens....also the car kicks when accelerating from a stop and when decelerating..i took the vehicle to oakland infiniti..they said they found a TSB for this problem and so they replaces the TCM..transmission control module....the problem went away for a week...and now its back again...i have only 50,000 miles..still under powertrain warranty

Old 01-24-2008, 02:39 AM
Originally Posted by JfromTheBay
i am having a problem with my manumatic shifter also but my problem is that when i switch it to the right to engage the manumatic mode it remains in D i cant get into manumatic mode......any take on the problem??? i have a appt on thursday with peninsula infiniti

My Buddy and I both have th same problem
it seems no one can figures out what is wrong with the Tiptronic, pls post when you find out what is the problem. someone also mentioned it might be the TCM needed to replace. ..

Old 01-29-2008, 12:16 AM
well..???..any updates?....what did peninsula infiniti find out what was wrong..i have an appoinment tommorow to get mines checked out...it should be covered under powertrain warranty..

Old 01-29-2008, 03:31 AM
sry for the delay in reply........this initially happened to me about a year ago and lasted for a duration of 3 days and then it just started working again i took it in for an oil change and told Millar infiniti in Van Nuys about the problem they could not duplicate my complaint.......it happened again about 2 weeks ago and lasted for about 3 days and just started working again.....with nothing wrong with my car i didnt wanna waste my time for them to tell me they couldnt duplicate my complaint........ next oil change ill take it in.......i also experience the knocking in the transmission when accelerating and decelerating..... ill probably reference the TSB for the TCM module ..............any info from you revaction?

Old 01-29-2008, 10:49 PM
ok..finally took my infiniti to the dealership..when i started my car i noticed another problem..the rpm and speedometer didnt work..and the vdc and slip light was on....they replaced the tcm once already...the service writer gave me a call and told me to come back and that he wanted to show me whats wrong...last year i installed a sound system in my car..i ran a 4 gauge wire from the battery to the amplifer in the trunk..i ran the 4 gauge power through the firewall where the harness runs to the ecm and tcm..i didnt put back the rubber grommet back well enough to keep water out ....last past month has been rainning hard and i dont drive my car much..it just sits there in the rain 5 out of 7 days....water slowly seeps through the engine compartment and seeps into the wire harness and into the ecm and tcm...when the technician showed me.there was a puddle of water under the passenger carpet..the harness was soaked...they said they this isnt covered under warranty so i drove it home and now its sitting in my garage..i pulled the ecm and the tcm out....im sitiing here blow drying them...i pulled the harness out and blow dried them....imma put it all back together tommoroe and i will let you know if this will fix the problem...

Old 01-30-2008, 12:21 AM
DAMN.....BIG HEADACHE.....that sucks man....now im even more worried to bring my car to the dealer with my mods........

Good luck and hope all goes well

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic not working