Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Turbo Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbo Question

Hello! I have a nooby question about the bov noise on turbo'd cars. I dont have a turbo'd car so I am not sure if this is true or not, but in the videos I see online, why is the bov noise more audible at times then others? Is it the more throttle you give the louder it is, or if you give it to much throttle can you even hear it? I am planning on going FI soon, and was debating on turbo or SC. If the BOV is audible I would go Turbo, but most of the videos I see of TT g's I cant hear the bov noise. The only G that I can actually hear it good is this ST one:
(you can hear it at 30 seconds in the vid..and sorry for whoever's vid this is). Does your Turbo'd G sound like his? THanks!

Old 02-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The BOV is a "blow off valve". It only gets used when you take your foot off the gas. When you jump on the pedal the boost spools up and stays there until you release. Then, all that pressure has to go somewhere because you don't need the boost any more. The BOV vents that pressure to the atmosphere while making the sound of air escaping. If you don't build up a lot of boost (because you don't put your foot down as hard) the sound of the BOV won't be as loud.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sliderg35
The BOV is a "blow off valve". It only gets used when you take your foot off the gas. When you jump on the pedal the boost spools up and stays there until you release. Then, all that pressure has to go somewhere because you don't need the boost any more. The BOV vents that pressure to the atmosphere while making the sound of air escaping. If you don't build up a lot of boost (because you don't put your foot down as hard) the sound of the BOV won't be as loud.
Thanks, that clears alot up. But if the BOV only gets used when you take your foot off the gas, how does it get used in automatics?

Old 02-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Doesn't matter. Auto or MT. It's more RPM related. At high RPM the Turbo is "spooling" fast and making pressure. The throttle is open wide and you are feeding that pressure to the motor. When you back off the throttle, you close the "butterfly" valve on the throttle body and all that pressure backs up behind it. Well it's a good idea to vent that pressure some where so you don't blow off hoses and clamps and such. So you set the BOV for, say, 9 psig and and it vents anything above that to atmosphere. Some vent it back to the intake side so you don't hear it as much and some "blow it off" under the hood and that is what you hear.