Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Oil Analysis #4 using Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 10:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Oil Analysis #4 using Mobil 1

$6.25 for the S2000 or the ASL/AMT?

<font color=red>chinee</font color=red>
03.5 G35s

Old 04-08-2004, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn I put mobil 1 5w-30 in at 1300 miles new filter, then again at 3500 miles, new filter. was this too soon to switch to synthetic? I'm in SoCal, and wondering whether 0w-30 Amsoil is something I should be putting in? What is it the difference between the 0 and 5 synthetics?
Should I be putting a synthetic blend in? I don't know !@#$ about oil...

Old 04-08-2004, 12:40 AM

chinee

thanks for your response. I am still not grasping why the 0-30 is inferior to 5-30. THe perfect oil for my setup (and I say for all socal cars give the high temps here) would be 0-40, if there was such a thing. I would be more comfortable with a 40 or 50 oil given the increased temps I will encounter with my TT setup while retaining the 0-weight for cold startups. I consider the latter to be more important as 90% of all engine wear occurs @ cold startups. Am I off-base here? Iunderstand thatyou would want a small spread b/w the two weight numbers, but why? Are the unwindinding polymers not as reliable when the spread is so large? Are they more prone to thermal breakdown?

Gurgen

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gurgenpb on 04/07/04 09:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 04-08-2004, 02:48 AM

Chinee,

If you go to Amsoil's site and sign up as a preferred customer (a $20 annual membership), you can purchase S2k 0-30 for $6.45 a quart. Also, there is a Amsoil distribution center in Orlando. Which may ease shipping cost!

While the S2k 0w-30 is an excellent oil, the S3k 5w-30 has a little better additive package for extended drain and maintaining a cleaner engine. However, the S3k does not provide the same cold start protection, fuel efficiency, and lower operating temperatures as S2k 0w-30. The guys such as TooSlick at BITOG recommend S2k 0w-30 for the G35 engine especially in FI/TT applications and S3k for larger engines such as the QX56. He personally uses S2k in his Audi TT. TS also recommends an oversized oil fiter such as the Amsoil SDF-20 to slightly increase sump capacity and filter media.

LC/FP would also help the Amsoil chemistry or any oil greater reduce friction, increase the flash point and lower nitration, while increasing the cleaning properties of the oil. Which could be beneficial in FI/TT applications.

Old 04-08-2004, 03:27 PM

S06,

Glad to see that in addition to BITOG, you take a peek over here as well. I think I like the combination of S2K and the SDF-20 filter, and will regularly perform UOAs to determine the best interval... I think TooSlick suggested a 7.5K ODI for you, but I'd like to go longer.

I'm not sold on the LC or FP just yet though, it's easy to throw these in the same category as the Tornado. Although the folks at Bob's like them.. I still need to research some more to obtain a level of comfort that I'm not just throwing money away.

You know... I always told myself that I would never go the Amsoil route, because it's just too much ado about something as simple as oil.... but as a hobby, one can easily get carried away.

03.5 G35s

Old 04-08-2004, 03:43 PM

Gurgen... I think silent's comments on an oil for FI make a lot of sense. Also, it may be worthwhile to note that it's what's not on the label, namely the additive package, that may be the most important factor to consider when looking for protection. And viscousity can be misleading... it is possible to find thicker oils providing less protection that thinner oils, and vice versa.

In addition, driving styles and habits, city vs. highway, bumper to bumper traffic, short trips, etc., play an important part as well. And some engines "like" certain types of oil... there are just too many variables involved to speak in generalities. For instance look at this comparison between Amsoil 0W30 and Mobil 1 5W30... Amsoil numbers are better, despiste the lower viscousity and wider range... and both S06 and myself drive aggresively.

"Wear rates after 20,000 total engine miles:

Ams. 0w-30/5000 miles ....Mobil 10w-30 /4330 miles

Fe .....6 ppm....................19 ppm
Cr......1 ppm.....................1 ppm
Al......1 ppm.....................4 ppm
Pb......0 ppm.....................9 ppm
Cu.....11 ppm.....................9 ppm
Sn......0 ppm.....................2 ppm
Ni......0 ppm.....................1 ppm

Silicon 13 ppm....................16 ppm
Air Filtration played no role here"

The thing about unraveling (?) polymers was just too complex for me to consider, so I made my choices based on my UOAs as well as recommendations fro Bob's board.

Un fortunately I don't have a really good answer about viscousities..... good luck in making your choice.

03.5 G35s

Old 04-08-2004, 04:21 PM

Chinee

I went to Bob's site - those guys are really hardcore. I signed up and awaiting approval by the mod to post. In the meantime, from browsing the forum for a while, I gathered that Amsoil synthetic 0-30 and 0-40 are excellent oils. I was also surprized to hear that M1 oils have much better UOA's then redline oils and almost rival the Amsoil brand.

Given that porshe, AMG Mercedes use 0-30 oil Mobil-1 oil, I am thinking that that truly is a good idea. I so not care so much about having high ODI, just the absolute best protection I can get my hands on.

So you would say the Amsoil 0-30 (is this a syntetic oil?) oil may in fact be of higher viscosity than some of the Xw40 oils? I thought I saw that comment on the forums myself. Ideally I guess 0-40 Amsoil synthetic (with a 10-15K mi ODI) i sthe BEST! But I am still curious whether the high spread betweent the two visocities is not such a good idea.

Thanks guys
Gurgen

Old 04-08-2004, 04:53 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

But I am still curious whether the high spread betweent the two visocities is not such a good idea.

<hr></blockquote>

A good question for BITOG....

03.5 G35s

Old 04-08-2004, 04:58 PM

Chinee,

Thanks, I usually peek over here throughout the day trying to learn as much as I can about the G. Don't know if you saw my additional post at BITOG. At Terry's recommendation, I will be extending my OCI to 10K this time around. I concur w/ your researching LC/FP. I do the same thing with every purchase I make. That's how I ended up with the G. You can not beat the perfomance, luxury, resale value for its class and the limited production is an added benefit!!!

As you stated, taking a sample every 5k will ensure your on target for an OCI of 15k. Also, forgot to mention the SDF-20 is $8.80 for preferred customers and additionally running an oversized filter also reduces the pressure drop across the filter media, due to increased surface area. This is an important benefit when the oil is cold and thick.