Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Intake Plenum Spacer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot hydrazine, I'll be doing it in the next few days..I really like the G35 but just needs a bit more get up and go in stock form. Of course this is coming from some one with a muscle car haha..

Old 07-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Gotta love the sound and power of a built V8.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Yeah I love muscle cars...But I also really enjoy driving the G35 around it's two different experiences

Old 07-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
+1

For all their different qualities, I can't really imagine myself drivng a muscle car on the road course.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Actually they handle really well once you update the 40 year old components..I have done a number of things to mine already and it's becoming fairly agile...now I just need to do the brakes haha..4 drums+0 power=scary

Old 07-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Question

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
If you are familiar with muscle mechanics, this will be easy for you.

Its really not hard to do. Just open up the plenum like a clam shell, remove the lower plenum to install the Aramid gasket (if you are getting one of the Iso kits), reinstall the lower, put in the spacer and put the top plenum back on. Bolt it all down and you are done.

Its not really engine work. Its air intake manifold work that basically involves two pieces of intake manifold.
After checking out ByThaBay's DIY video, it seems like this install would ideally involve 2 people. Just curious how common it is for a DIYer to install this by himself?

Old 07-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Very common.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I did mine last weekend by myself in about 90 minutes and that included cleaning the throttle body & MAF. I'm not that mechanically inclined but it was pretty easy.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Thumbs up

That's what I wanted to hear. Good stuff.

I just read the installation manual, so now I understand the "clam shell" analogy. Ok, I'm pretty fired up now, and I'm itching to buy the spacer! (This would be my first "real" mod.)

Once I do make the purchase, I have a few questions because I'd be doing the installation by myself:
1) the hoses at the back of the plenum: MotorDyne's manual says there are only 2 hoses, but the fellas in the video found three. How many did you find that needed to be unplugged? Also, it looks like the one underneath is tough to get at. Any tips for unplugging that one if you don't have a helper around?

2) the six white iso thermal internal spacers: How did you ensure these plastic spacers didn't slide off the bolts when it came time to put the upper plenum back on?

3) The manual says retorquing isn't necessary, but I've read a few postings where people said they did have to retorque the bolts after some time. Did you have to retorque?

4) I'm thinking of keeping the stock gasket in place just in case I decide to sell the car and take out the spacer. For those of you left the stock gasket in, have you encountered any problems because of this?
Thanks all.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
1) the hoses at the back of the plenum: MotorDyne's manual says there are only 2 hoses, but the fellas in the video found three. How many did you find that needed to be unplugged? Also, it looks like the one underneath is tough to get at. Any tips for unplugging that one if you don't have a helper around?

There are three. One is right on top to see but its the two down beneath where they can't be seen that make it a little more difficult to move the plenum around.

2) the six white iso thermal internal spacers: How did you ensure these plastic spacers didn't slide off the bolts when it came time to put the upper plenum back on?

They have self retaining clips inside of them. When you push it onto the bolt it zips up kind of like a zip tie.

3) The manual says retorquing isn't necessary, but I've read a few postings where people said they did have to retorque the bolts after some time. Did you have to retorque?

You don't have to. Its only necessary to tighten it to spec once.
Once installed and after a few thermal cycles, the tension on the spacer and supports relaxes and it all seals up really good.
And even though the tension relaxes a bit, it doesn't need to be retightened.

4) I'm thinking of keeping the stock gasket in place just in case I decide to sell the car and take out the spacer. For those of you left the stock gasket in, have you encountered any problems because of this?

Yes, you can cetaintly do this. Either way is fine.

Some people don't like to use more than one gasket because (technically it increases the chance of a leak), but in practice, its never been a problem as long as the stock gasket is in good condition.

Leaks are simple to diagnose. If you have a leak, you would know as soon as you did the install. Leaks show themselves as a rough or stumbling idle. If your idle is good, you don't have a leak.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:59 PM
I pulled the trigger last night. I went with the 5/16 iso thermal spacer, and ordered it directly from MD. I read too many horror stories where 3rd party vendors provided incomplete shipments and/or incompatible components within their shipments.

Based on what I've read, MD is a reputable company, so I'm counting on them to get my order right. Thanks again for the all the feedback, fellas.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:04 PM
I didn't have any issues with my 3rd party vendor but if you can get it direct for the same price basically that is great...and MD gets to make a little cash too.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Motordyne 5/16 iso thermal.... i am selling my used one if your interested $150 shipped.