Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

How terrible am I? 70K First time AT/DIFF fluid change!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How terrible am I? 70K First time AT/DIFF fluid change!

Guys,

I'm booked in for fluid changes next week.

I just broke 70K on my 05X and I'm getting the following changed for the FIRST time:

Transmission Fluid
Rear Diff Fluid
Serpentine Belts

Is this reasonable or have I been running on some horseshoe-up-the-a$$ luck?

I've one regular oil changes at 5000K intervals and I'm on my 3rd set of pads and rotors. (2 OEM sets and now on Hawk HPS & R1 Concept)

Thanks,
Eric

Old 09-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Empz
Guys,

I'm booked in for fluid changes next week.

I just broke 70K on my 05X and I'm getting the following changed for the FIRST time:

Transmission Fluid
Rear Diff Fluid
Serpentine Belts

Is this reasonable or have I been running on some horseshoe-up-the-a$$ luck?

I've one regular oil changes at 5000K intervals and I'm on my 3rd set of pads and rotors. (2 OEM sets and now on Hawk HPS & R1 Concept)

Thanks,
Eric
Bro, don't worry about it. Just make sure you change your Tranny oil from now on at the 20~40k kms interval.

You are fine with the rest, the diff oil can be changed every 30~50k kms and the belt should be changed when you find any cracks (flaking is okay...).

Old 09-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's something I don't get: in Canada since everything is metric, why don't you guys use Megameters? I mean wouldn't it be easier to write 50Mm (50 million meters) instead of 50K Km (50 thousand thousand meters). I thought the whole point of the metric system was to express numbers in useful multiples of 10 instead of multiples of thousands of thousands, right?

Old 09-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
would have been nice to do the ATF at 40-50kmi, but just do it on schedule and you should be fine, especially if you were not flogging it alot.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe_Camel
Here's something I don't get: in Canada since everything is metric, why don't you guys use Megameters? I mean wouldn't it be easier to write 50Mm (50 million meters) instead of 50K Km (50 thousand thousand meters). I thought the whole point of the metric system was to express numbers in useful multiples of 10 instead of multiples of thousands of thousands, right?
Its probably because the km and the mile are the closest units to each other. If you switched everything to megameters, you'd screw with everyone's world

Old 09-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a lot of folklore and profit-based motivation from dealers when it comes to recommended fluid change intervals. So I would first start with the official factory recommended intervals printed in the book. Exactly what goes bad with differential fluid, anyway?

Old 09-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
I have an IP 05X as well, and was thinking the same thing lately. I do have a few cracks on my belts and definitely need to replace those. Don't wanna do the tranny fluid change and screw up the transmission as most say it will start acting weird.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Noremac
Exactly what goes bad with differential fluid, anyway?
Differential fluid helps lubricate the gears in the gearbox and transfer the torque to the wheels, hence involves a lot of friction. I believe Infiniti recommends a drain and refill of the diff fluid every 30K miles or 2 years, whichever comes first. Old differential fluid will smell like a lot of rotten eggs with a sulphur-like odor, it's terrible!
Originally Posted by Kazaam35x
I have an IP 05X as well, and was thinking the same thing lately. I do have a few cracks on my belts and definitely need to replace those. Don't wanna do the tranny fluid change and screw up the transmission as most say it will start acting weird.
If you haven't done so already, you should do a simple drain and refill of the transmission fluid. It's like changing your motor oil, it's simple maintenance and insurance for the life of your car. Why risk the transmission of your car when it only costs $45 for tranny fluid and 1-hour's worth of time to do the job yourself?

Old 09-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
For the RWD I think the rec. first change is at 60k.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:39 AM
I changed my transmission fluid last time I had my oil changed, first time I've had to do it, but can't say how many times the previous owner had to, I'm at 79k

Old 09-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by godmans
Bro, don't worry about it. Just make sure you change your Tranny oil from now on at the 20~40k kms interval.

You are fine with the rest, the diff oil can be changed every 30~50k kms and the belt should be changed when you find any cracks (flaking is okay...).
Well after reading the few responses, I'm glad I'm not exactly on "borrowed" time.

The serpentine belts are definitely cracked, so that's a must.

The fluids will definitely be changed.

I'm considering doing a throttle body cleaning as well.

BTW ... brother, have you actually seen my car with my 20's on?

-E

Old 09-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure you're that bad off. Every time I've brought my car into the dealer for a tune-up I've asked them to check the transmission fluid...and every time, they say it's fine. I'm at 94K now, so I'm guessing the time will come soon.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:45 PM
haha, it seems every time my car goes to the dealer for an oil change they find something else that needs replaceing >< this time it was my break pads, oh well

Old 09-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by lexusk8
Differential fluid helps lubricate the gears in the gearbox and transfer the torque to the wheels, hence involves a lot of friction.
Yep, ok. But my question is still: How does it go bad? Unlike engine oil, differential oil is not subject to combustion gases, leakage, extreme temperatures, moisture intrusion, and (relatively) lower viscosity. I agree there is friction. I agree there could be some metal filings that fall to the bottom. But the oil is heavy and the casing is sealed.

I believe Infiniti recommends a drain and refill of the diff fluid every 30K miles or 2 years, whichever comes first.
Well, my 2004 RWD manual doesn't say that. Only when following the "Premium" service schedule, does it even suggest replacement at 60k miles. And Infiniti explains the "Premium" schedule by saying: "...owners need not perform such maintenance in order to maintain the warranties." The only other circumstances where differential fluid change is required (at 30k miles) is "if towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top carrier, or driving on rough or muddy roads".

Old 09-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by darnelled
For the RWD I think the rec. first change is at 60k.
Correct. But that is only when following the "Premium" service schedule. Even the relatively aggressive "Schedule 1" maintenance only stipulates inspection, not replacement.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How terrible am I? 70K First time AT/DIFF fluid change!