Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Stillen & eBay Engine Damper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats because your RSX had a transverse motor and the damper would have mounted to the firewall, I bet it rattled like hell.

In the G, it mounts to a MUCH sturdier frame rail.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:24 PM
double post

Old 02-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i mean solid vq mounts

the k20 has liquid filled mounts too

Old 02-18-2010, 06:12 PM
I had a GSR and put the solid motor mounts in it, it definitely put a lot of vibration throughout the car. But for what I used that car for, it was worth it. I personally would not do that to this car.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:18 PM
i have a 6mt with an engine dampener...the purpose of the dampener is not to reduce vibrations but to reduce the movement of the engine...it actually causes your steering wheel to vibrate more...

anyways...not worth the time and money (the short shifter on the other is a better mod)

Old 02-18-2010, 06:57 PM
engine dampening is for cars that have trouble putting power down or cars that are doing a lot of racing. fwd cars wheel hop like crazy(and on rsx's u end up cracking the flex pipe on your race header or a test pipe and/or breaking your axles) the g is pretty ok at putting its power down since its not wrong wheel drive(especially with 350z suspension)

Old 02-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by techi13
i have a 6mt with an engine dampener...the purpose of the dampener is not to reduce vibrations but to reduce the movement of the engine...it actually causes your steering wheel to vibrate more...

anyways...not worth the time and money (the short shifter on the other is a better mod)
you missed the point of the last several posts...

Old 02-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by A.Chambers
have you used one? I think it does have a benefit. I decided on the cheaper one because even people with the Stillen are having problems with them breaking. I got mine for $40 shipped on Ebay. It breaks, oh well. A $180 one breaks, that sucks.

From my first drive it seems to really make the engine, transmission, car one solid working machine. There is a little more vibration at idle, but at any constant rpm above that I dont notice it. Taking off from a stop (regular driving) feels sharper and more direct, shifting is also easier and more direct.

I say it is well worth $40 or $70.
No I have not used one I have never had a situation where I thought I needed one, my mods are based on actually improving my. If issues arise from mods i address them and further improve upon the car I have never met anyone that can actually give a certain anwser of what this improves therefore I have never bought one just to throw a mod at my car.

If a mod is not worth $180 it couldn't provide much benifit, you say shifting is more direct a semi solid tranny mount would likely be a much larger improvment and costs about $100....I know its not e-bay cheap but at least it actually has a function that can be agreed upon.

It dosent make your car faster, it dosent make it more powerful, it dosent help braking or handling and it dosent give you a better ride quality. IMO a waste of money unless YOU think it looks cool then good for you enjoy it. It has no measurable gains so weather it "works" or not is strictly opinion, I have spent a small fortune on mods but this is one of the last ones I would ever spend my money on.

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 02-19-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
No I have not used one I have never had a situation where I thought I needed one, my mods are based on actually improving my. If issues arise from mods i address them and further improve upon the car I have never met anyone that can actually give a certain anwser of what this improves therefore I have never bought one just to throw a mod at my car.

If a mod is not worth $180 it couldn't provide much benifit, you say shifting is more direct a semi solid tranny mount would likely be a much larger improvment and costs about $100....I know its not e-bay cheap but at least it actually has a function that can be agreed upon.

It dosent make your car faster, it dosent make it more powerful, it dosent help braking or handling and it dosent give you a better ride quality. IMO a waste of money unless YOU think it looks cool then good for you enjoy it. It has no measurable gains so weather it "works" or not is strictly opinion, I have spent a small fortune on mods but this is one of the last ones I would ever spend my money on.

amen to that...waste of a mod

i want my quasi-luxury car's steering wheel to vibrate so shifts are slightly better..lol

putting it on an automatic is hilarious

Old 02-20-2010, 12:22 PM
I personally have 0 steering wheel shake. The only adverse effect that I have noticed is that the noises the motor makes is now somewhat amplified since it is connected directly to the chassis. Overall, any noise that is amplified (and not much at all) are stronly outweighed by the difference I feel with this brace.

I guess 19 and 20 inch wheels are out of the question for you since it makes your luxury car ride stiffer? Suspension would be out of the question too? Probably should remove that Z tube and Y pipe because now your luxury ride is now louder.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust
amen to that...waste of a mod

i want my quasi-luxury car's steering wheel to vibrate so shifts are slightly better..lol

putting it on an automatic is hilarious
There is absolutely no way an engine damper can do anything to your steering wheel, especially on a RWD vehicle.

Go get your tires balanced or replaced.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:06 PM
the engine damper transfers the vibrations of the enigne to the body of the car which vibrates your steering wheel(amoung other things), especially at idle, last time I checked unbalanced tires don't do much when you are stationary. It has nothing to do with the car being rwd

Old 02-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
if you've got exhaust mods chances are you have additional vibration...

I didnt get any additional vibration from adding engine damper...

There isnt enough vibration in the steering wheel to even notice (before and after damper install)...

There is minor vibration in the pedals - but again, that was there before damper - with significant breather mods... just adding hfc and exhaust will give you much more vibration that an engine damper will... and once you have those (with or without headers), an engine damper isnt gonna matter.

Having that been said - I'll reiterate that for an AT its not worth it (I didn't notice anything)... for MT it possible could be?

I really wish people that haven't used it would stop posting their "theory" or regurgitate what they read... these forums are becoming full of bogus info... (this pertains to just about any mod)... and this isn't to say that everyone that posts but doesn't have a mod is wrong - what I'm saying is there are too many people that don't know wtf they are talking about posting garbage.

It would be much more useful for people to post their impressions (and documented data if they have it) for mods they've used... the rest just fills space and makes it harder for someone that is looking for viable info.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust
the engine damper transfers the vibrations of the enigne to the body of the car which vibrates your steering wheel(amoung other things), especially at idle, last time I checked unbalanced tires don't do much when you are stationary. It has nothing to do with the car being rwd
Well you mentioned the steering wheel originally (nothing else), thanks for clearing up your theory. Have you used one on your G?

It does have it's application, regardless of its possible side effects.

For example, on a high horsepower build it helps keep you from blowing your squishy motor mounts, and creates much less vibration than solid or poly mounts.

If you're not FI and/or you're not racing your car, I agree it's probably not worth it. But some of us who actually drive our cars hard and are less concerned with luxury have it for a reason.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:19 PM
i didnt bring up the steering wheel, some other guy did, i just agreed with him

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen & eBay Engine Damper