Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

pistons and rods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pistons and rods

so im wanting to up my power and from what ive been reading the rods are the weakest link on the g.... so would just lc pistons and rods be good for 600whp? i have a 60-1 turbo and only going to about 500rwhp but just want to find a little more about these engines and such... also what about the bc stroker? better for n/a or the same as boosted?

oh and if i do pistons rods and a cam what could i raise my redline to?

thanks guys

Old 02-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Stronger "Bottom End!"

Hey Dudeman, for everyone's opinion do a SEARCH, this has been discussed
almost as much as "debadging!" (I like the stroker approach)
Gary

Old 02-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Hey Dudeman, for everyone's opinion do a SEARCH, this has been discussed
almost as much as "debadging!" (I like the stroker approach)
Gary
yea ive searched and havent got any straight up answers... my favorite one was for a stock block "they can handle 7psi" not very informative at all considering 7psi will range in power depending on turbo lol

same goes as aftermarket gears? cant find anythingggg i see all these 700+hp Gs and nothing about any gears? no dog box? wtf mann frustrating

im interested in the stroker kit as i get a discount on them from my sponsor i had when i had my sti but i know when you go with a bigger stroke you can rev out the motor as much so can someone tell me this

4.15 redline-?
3.5(little bit bigger bore) redline-?

Old 02-04-2009, 11:19 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
I would suggest setting a goal. Ex 500 hp and what will it take to get me there. Talk to the people who are going to be building your car and ask them what they would suggest using, then ask others.

If you are going for 500hp you do not need a stroker kit. It can be gone with pump gas, rods and pistons, and other supporting mods. How many lbs is going to be determined by the turbo output and tune.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts
Shouldn't this be in FI forum? =)

Old 02-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
I would suggest setting a goal. Ex 500 hp and what will it take to get me there. Talk to the people who are going to be building your car and ask them what they would suggest using, then ask others.

If you are going for 500hp you do not need a stroker kit. It can be gone with pump gas, rods and pistons, and other supporting mods. How many lbs is going to be determined by the turbo output and tune.
i build my own cars just wanna get a lttle more info on these cars such as weak points and i know the stroker isnt needed for 500whp i pmd someone on a seized block on here so ill probably pick that up and depending on how high i can rev the motor with the stroker kit will be the factor on the route im going to take... and more then likely 42r or equivalent will be going on the build

Old 02-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
i wouldnt boost a 4.2 engine i heard its not safe unless you sleeve the block go with the 3.8l stroker and boost it

as far as redline? i think 7.5k but im not so sure

Trending Topics

Old 02-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by eljoker
i wouldnt boost a 4.2 engine i heard its not safe unless you sleeve the block go with the 3.8l stroker and boost it

as far as redline? i think 7.5k but im not so sure
darton sleeves alll the way! thanks for the input

Old 02-17-2009, 07:13 PM
picking up a long block friday!

Old 02-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Cosworth internals all the way! and If you are trying to make over 600, darton sleeving would be the way to go as well. I have been told by a few really great engine builders that stroking a motor and big boost does not go together. If you want to make more power, up your cfm. Thats just my 2 cents

Old 02-19-2009, 05:43 PM
im only going to be making around 550whp for now so im keeping the stock sleeves and doing pistons and rods... the block thats in the car now is going to be pulled and fully built after i get the new one in but its going to take me about a year to build it as i have other **** to take care and cant drop every penny into and plus i want to take my time and do everything right...

Old 02-19-2009, 07:03 PM
cp pistons rings and eagle rods are being put in the block im picking up 1179 shipped to my house picking up the rev out long block that runs for 300 so its a pretty good budget build

Old 02-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I have read this in a couple of places, no first hand knowlege mind you, for high HP VQ motors (600+), the weak point is where the cylinder meets the head. During high rpm, the cylinder itself will start a harmonic vibration that will eat up the head gaskets.

Note there is no support between the cylinders and the main block at the head/cylinder interface

If you want a high HP motor, you must support the cylinders through the water jacket to the main block. As I'm sure you know, proper fasteners and tqk specs will stop part of that.

This one is properly sleeved and supported.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
I have read this in a couple of places, no first hand knowlege mind you, for high HP VQ motors (600+), the weak point is where the cylinder meets the head. During high rpm, the cylinder itself will start a harmonic vibration that will eat up the head gaskets.

Note there is no support between the cylinders and the main block at the head/cylinder interface

If you want a high HP motor, you must support the cylinders through the water jacket to the main block. As I'm sure you know, proper fasteners and tqk specs will stop part of that.

This one is properly sleeved and supported.

yea this semi build will only see around 550whp so i think ill be good but like i said with the bigger build i wanna take my time and do everything right so it will take me a while to have it done which is ok since im in no rush

are those aebs sleeves in the second pic?

and its called wet sleeving when it in contact with the coolant with the holes in them.

Last edited by DudeMan; 02-19-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
That's actually a stroker kit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: pistons and rods