Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

***car turning off while driving??!!!

Old 02-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation ***car turning off while driving??!!!

okay here is the whole story. It happened to me TWICE today. FIRST time ever happening to me. My car is a Manual.

The first time was during lunch hour, I was driving and was in 6th gear I believe and was probably slowing down and noticed that my steering wheel got really stiff and could barely move it. So I looked at my dashboard? and saw the check engine light, break light, and etc on like if my car has turned off and I came to a stopped at a red light and turned it back on and the car seemed fine and I got food and went back to work.

The next time, I went to go get an estimate on my car(because of an accident) and when I was making a right turn to get back to work, my car turned off again HALF way making a right. I believe I was in second gear this time while doing this.... I do not know what is wrong. This has never happened to me before... can anyone give me any advice?

Old 02-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I remember someone either on this site or another had a similar problem. Don't remember the exact cause but I think it was a sensor....

Now I had a 93 Taurus SHO and belonged to the SHO Registry in the early/mid 90's when I had the car. Some guy had a similar problem. He went to pass a truck and when he was in the opposing traffic lane, in the middle of the pass his car just shut down, completely. Turns out it was a faulty crank shaft sensor.

You may also want to check you MAF.. Do a search here and other Infiniti forums. You'll find hits. Good luck.

Last edited by geronimomoe; 02-15-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 03 6mt sedan. I had an evap leak code and they changed some sensors (covered under warranty) and it went away. The good thing is maybe it kept a record when the CEL came on and it should be an easy problem to diagnose.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
are you still under warranty? take it to the dealer. If not, you can clean you MAF sensor but be careful as it's fragile

Old 02-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have heard on multiple occasions that cold air intakes can cause the engine to stall. I notice in your sig that you have an Injen. That could possibly be the problem, however, if I remember correctly, the stalling would occur usually on highway driving in 6th gear.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Do you have any type of electrical modifications (aftermarket alarm system, ect)? If it's installed poorly you can lose ignition like that easily. If you're not throwing any codes, I'd be pretty sure it's loose ignition switch wires.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
This happenend to me before, check the MAF sensor. Also, do you have a CAI?

Old 02-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
^ Yup do what he said, that must of been the problem. You'll wanna check it all out before you take it to the dealer to be fixed if needed too.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by elayman
are you still under warranty? take it to the dealer. If not, you can clean you MAF sensor but be careful as it's fragile
Sadly I am not under warranty...How would I clean the MAF Sensor? Where would it be at? What do I clean it with? Sorry for all the questions.. I really dont know..

Originally Posted by sfgr415
I have heard on multiple occasions that cold air intakes can cause the engine to stall. I notice in your sig that you have an Injen. That could possibly be the problem, however, if I remember correctly, the stalling would occur usually on highway driving in 6th gear.
Well it happened once on the freeway also slowing down on 6th gear...

Originally Posted by djamps
Do you have any type of electrical modifications (aftermarket alarm system, ect)? If it's installed poorly you can lose ignition like that easily. If you're not throwing any codes, I'd be pretty sure it's loose ignition switch wires.
No electrical mods that I know of.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I seriously thought I would be by myself on this one. I was freaking out. I talked to one of my friends that is a certified Tech and he told me that it could be two things:
1. Gunk in the gas tank so I had to buy some stuff to clean it with.
2. Spark Plugs so I went to go buy new ones but didn't install them yet because the car is in the shop for the repair because of the accident last week.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
your accident had something to do with it?? what was hit??
im guessing it never happened before the accident ..??

Old 02-16-2009, 11:38 AM
well it happened ONCE before the accident and the rest was after but then I got hit on my rear driver side wheel so I am pretty sure that it wasn't because of the accident..

Old 04-09-2009, 01:12 PM
I have a friend that is a car technician and he said it could be four things:
1. Clean out MAF sensor on Intake *usual problem*
2. Replace Spark plugs
3. Buy the liquid thing that cleans out your gas tank/gas. I bought the Chevron thing from Auto Zone.
4. Check for Loose Wires

I did #1-3 and it still happens. I will have to get one of my friends to take a look under the hood again this weekend to help me check for loose wires.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Note: I do notice it happens most of the time when I am in 6th gear going fast and put my car in neutral to slow down.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just take her to the dealer and get it fixed. u're wasting your time.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ihahve the same problem on mine...it happened when i changed my air filter..i have a injen cai...gonna try and clean the maf sensor

Old 04-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Crank angle sensor.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ***car turning off while driving??!!!