Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

around $2500ish to spend

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 11:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
around $2500ish to spend

I have clear corners, pop charger, ztube and aluminum pedals installed. I am thinking that im gonna drop another 2000 into the g coupe in about 2 weeks (payday). I think that im gonna get injen ses exhaust (850) and a crawford or kinex plenum (500). I will also get a grounding kit (~200) and that leaves about 500-1000 dollars to spend. What would u get with that money? I was thinking of maybe saving that and putting it towards wheels. I was planning on getting volk gt-c's with this money in the next few weeks, but i decided that im gonna hold off until the shcool year starts and i wont be driving around on downtown houston horrible streets and risking damage everyday. I also may put that into sway bars and adjustable toe arms with springs to lower it about 2 inches and also dont want to lose any handling because of the drop. Tell me what u guys think. Maybe pullys? i would install everything prolly except the pullys because i dont feel comfortable with the install directions that i read. I may just take it up to this shop down the road from me and get them to install it cause its an Infiniti, nissan, subaru shop where my friend got his 240's exhaust installed and he said that it seems alright. Not the kinda place i would let install a turbo or something.... but i would sit there and watch em while they put on a plenum and exhaust on my car and maybe pullys. What do u guys think.... hit me back

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... <3 aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. From down south, houston tejas

Old 06-25-2004, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: around $2500ish to spend

Save up for forced induction.....

Heeeeellllllloooooooooo people.......

2003.5 Black/Black 5AT Fully Loaded w/ Navi
Clear Corners / Injen CAI

Old 06-25-2004, 08:05 AM

i go to school and wouldnt have the money for f/i by the end of summer so i would have to wait till the end of NEXT summer for that...... so i wanna get bolt ons right now and f/i after high school. Im gonna be a junior next year tho

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... <3 aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. From down south, houston tejas

Old 06-25-2004, 09:10 AM

Wow, what kind of job do you have?? U said you're going to school, yet you have $2500 available cuz of your up and comming pay check!! Double wow!!!!

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."
2004 G35 Coupe | OB | Graphite interior | Premium and aero package | Popcharger | Z tube | Hotchkis sway bars | kinetix plenum on the way

Old 06-25-2004, 09:28 AM

Don't bother with the grounding kit unless you're just trying to dress up your engine bay.

Do you want to go faster or handle better? If your answer is "both", find some lighter wheels. The Nismos are a great choice or some lightweight Volks. Get down in the 18/19 pound range and you'll handle better, accelerate faster, and stop faster.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5

Old 06-25-2004, 09:31 AM

Spend the $2500 on wheels, it'll make your G stand out. Handling will improve with the newer wheels/tires. You can save a couple more hundred and get some Volks with tires from Mike at RevHigh.

Black on Black 5AT Coupe, Navi
Falken Koblenz 19x8.5 F 19x9.5 R
Falken FK-451 245/35 F 285/35 R
HKS Legamax Exhaust
350Z Duct
Stillen Hi Flow
7 Wire Hypergrounding Kit

Old 06-25-2004, 10:21 AM

im not getting paid 2500 dollars lol... im getting about a 1000 but i already have 1000 and im selling misc stuff that i should have about 1500 for in the next couple of weeks. hmmmm maybe i should still consider the gt-cs. I already got a quote from revhighonline.com for my 19inch gt-c's wrapped in TOYO T1s 245-35-19/275-35-19. The price was 2950.... and im thinking that for that much i could probably improve acceleration and handling a lot more by simply getting other parts. o and btw... i am interning in downtown houston... desk job with a/c where i sit at a computer 90% of the time. this is another reason that i dont want ot get the wheels just yet because downtown houston has really bad streets with random potholes and valves sticking up outa the ground and stuff. I just really dont awnna have to drive in 3000 dollars worth of rims and tires around houston and risk messing them up. I am looking to improve speed first and formost. I want to improve my speed from 0-70 at wot most of all. I was thinking exhaust and plenum for about 1450 (shipped) and then i would probably get rid of some of the body roll that i have with some new sway bars. I really want the wheels just to set my g apart because in the suburb of houston that i live in... there are a lot of g's runnin around and i see prolly like 5 a day that look exactly like mine (hell my mom drives a g35x). The volks would really make it stand out.... but i dunno how much the gtc's weigh and they will be 19" instead of 18 if i get aftermarket wheels, so i dont even think they'll weigh less.

Again.... anything im gonna have to do to my ecu to ensure that it still runs the same a/f mixture... or a good one for that setup i mean..?

Trending Topics

Old 06-25-2004, 10:29 AM

i will also probably get tein basics coilovers right after i get my wheels, but i wont do that till after my wheels are on there. So i guess my wheels and getting lowered will actually end up costing closer to $4k.... when i could put that into the engine and be runnin around in a FAST car. dont suggest f/i plz.... i dont even know where i would get a tt done in the houston area as i do not know of any good infiniti shops around here.

Old 06-25-2004, 10:33 AM

If you go with a 19" wheel, and it's about the same weight as the stock 18" wheel, you will go slower. The weight is farther from the axis and requires more force to turn than the same weight closer to the axis....I also hear you saying you want to differentiate your ride from others. Sometimes you can't have both. If you want performance though, you must know the weight of the wheel. The stock 18" is somewhere in the 24-26 pound neighborhood as is the stock Pilot. The Toyo Proxes and the Pilots are both light tires. The Pole Positions are heavy tires (3-5 pounds heavier). Keep that in mind and good luck with your decision. There is no wrong decision unless you're not meeting your objective, then it's wrong.

The ECU can be optimized with a Technosquare reflash. It is about $600. How much optimization? Hard to say. The more mods you have the more it will benefit you IMO. If your VIN is 80000 or higher you're SOL anyway, they don't have a 2004.5 reflash available yet. Go to their website and see what they do to the ECU and weigh whether it's worth that kind of money to you or not.

Also when doing mods, make sure you address air coming in and air coming out. Don't go throwing a bunch of plenum and intake mods without balancing the exhaust as well (headers, cats, y pipe, mid pipe, muffler). It's possible, but you won't be optimizing the benefits of either.

Old 06-25-2004, 10:36 AM

lol nevermind on that paycheck...i thot i was getting paid at the end of next week, but i got payed like 2 seconds ago so now i have a little over 1050 dollars in my bank account and get paid in another 2 weeks and by that time i should have about 2500 or so.... so i could either buy my wheels and tires or a LOT of engine upgrades. maybe i could buy the volks and then wait another 2 weeks and get exhaust and then wait another 2 weeks and get plenum grounding and sways

Old 06-25-2004, 11:08 AM

I completely understand your concern about bashing up your wheels in downtown Houston! That's a call you'll have to make.

Just a reminder about weight savings at the wheels: I believe that every pound saved of unsprung weight is the equivalent of 10 pounds saved of sprung weight. Saving 5 pounds per wheel would be the equivalent of removing 200 lbs from the sprung car. I hope I'm remembering those figures correctly. But my point is that you stand to lose the most weight by making the proper wheel choice. It's going to be hard to remove 200+ pounds from the G's stock curb weight in any other way. Of course, changing the tire diameter, etc. will raise other issues for you to consider, as mentioned above.

A loss in weight of the ratational mass is another area you can benefit from because the static weight savings are also multiplied (not sure by how much). You can lose weight from the rotational mass by installing a lightened flywheel.

The Amuse Titanium exhaust looks to shave off an incredible 50+ pounds over the stock exhaust. The Amuse system is said to only be 8 pounds total! The bad news? Say "buh-bye" to your $2500. [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img] I plan on saying the same to that amount once I take delivery of my G... ...and without much remorse, I suspect. [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

'05 IP(or ?) 6MT... ...Never too soon to think about modifications!!

Old 06-25-2004, 03:37 PM

my g is a 2004.5 so i guess no ecu reflash yet BAH. But i know about balancing air in and out... thats why i would prolly get new exhaust with my plenum. Instead of other stuff after my plenum, should i other things for my "air out" end of my airflow? What are other big bottlenecks in the system in the g? I live in houston texas like i said, so i dont know how harsh our smog laws are around here, but i imagine if i cant pass emissions i can just slip the guy a little extra cash (i have friends with early 90's 240's that havent EVER passed emissions lol. U guys talking about sprung weight made me decide to go back to my original idea of 18 inch gtc's and just throwing my stock pilot sports on them. I was looking at my pilot sports today anyways and i kinda think that it would be better having the big tire. It fills the wheel well better and is more protections for the rim (in my opinion). It'll also be a lot lighter i think than the stock wheels. I may get the wheels first now that im prolly only gonna have to pay in the 2400 range for them since im not getting tires and its a smaller set of wheels. Then i guess i'll start saving up the cash for exhaust (i really dont like my sound now until 3.5-6.5k rpms) i want to improve my idle sound and lower rpms as well as helping speed. remember tho speed is more important to me than sound

Old 06-25-2004, 04:27 PM

The most restrictive components of your exhaust are the cats, then the Y pipe, from what I've gathered. It's dynamic however. After you replace one, then replace something else, it retro effects your previous mod. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. Go to www.g-owners.com and read how Eagle1 actually lost HP with some mods, only to gain the HP back later in spades due to another mod.

The Pilots are among the best and lightest tire. If you can afford those, great choice. Check the specs on tirerack.com. The stocks will fit a maximum width of 8.5 in front and 9.0 in the back.

Old 06-25-2004, 05:26 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to be a party pooper....but,

1. Help mommy/daddy with car payments....
2. Help mommy/daddy with insurance payments...
3. Help mommy/daddy pay for your gas (if you don't already)
4. SAVE FOR COLLEGE!!!!! Put the money into a liquid money market vehicle and have your money work for you.

I'm assuming, assuming, assuming that if your parents can buy you a G, they're pretty stable financially and you won't qualify for a bunch of need-based college scholarships. I don't know a 16-17 y.o. who can qualify for a $20-30K loan by themselves (unless you're one of the founders of google or yahoo).

If you have any money left over, then maybe talk about rims/tires, exhaust, intakes.

When I was a sophomore in HS, I was working for minimum wage (which was $3.85/hr) and borrowing my mom's Toyota Tercel hatchback. You're lucky......be grateful and appreciative and show financial and economic maturity.

Again, sorry for being a party pooper, just wanting to share some reality coming from 11years of post-high school education/training including medical school and personally finding ways of funding my own educational journey.....

BUT, hey Injen intake, FI, rims/tires sounds good too! :-)

doc

Old 06-25-2004, 05:43 PM

uhhhhh.... well i dunno about the car payments or insurance. I could actually make my insurance payments easily every month cause im insured as primary driver on a '93 suburban with 200k miles on it. Point is... im NOT gonna spend my money on the car or put it away for college because my dad is paying for it and i dont have to.... I mean it may sound shitty but i dont wanna spend money on stuff that my "daddy" as u put it, would buy for me when i could be getting other stuff.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: around $2500ish to spend