Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Grounding Kit Benefits - Possible Explanation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 02:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Grounding Kit Benefits - Possible Explanation

My guess as to why the wires work is because they enable a "clean" signal from the different sensors throughout the engine bay to reach the ECU uncorrupted.

The batteries in the car may be DC but there are plenty of spurious signals being generated by other moving parts in the engine. In fact, even the 12VDC battery is charged by an alternator. A car engine has to be an extremely "noisy" environment. Don't forget a car is isolated from an earth ground by the rubber tires.

I don't know the voltage level of the different sensors in the engine (volts, millivolts, less(?)) but lowering the noise floor and reducing signal "jitter" could possibly allow the ECU to "read" the signals more accurately and therefore make better engine adjustments resulting in a smoother running engine. The farther the sensors are from a decent ground the worse the sensor sensitivity. The distance from a good ground can change the IMPEDANCE of a circuit resulting in a noisy ground plane.

I also believe some cars may NOT show any improvements with a grounding kit because grounding is unique for EVERY CAR! Some cars have poor grounding and are going to benefit from the change. Those that have decent grounding already won’t see any (or much) improvement.

04, TB/W, Nav, Aero, 6MT, etc...

Old 07-13-2004, 09:51 AM

Wow so maybe the folks who have had negative experiences can finally move on based on this rationale.

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan (E-thing but Nav)
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 07-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd hope ppl can move on. However, looking at the history of posts....

One of the Electrical Engineering Technicians I just met promised to do a short write-up to counter the comments of "The only way these things would work is if the grounds are corroded, etc. anyway!" I'm waiting patiently and I'll post his explanation in it's entirety.

It's seemed to do at least something for virtually every car I've tried it on. I know of only 2 of my clients that has said it's done little or nothing to their cars. I can't answer for those that have tried other kits, since construction materials and even techniques can theoretically make as much difference as the actual grounding points. At minimum, it's improved the smoothness or idle. This is based on numerous blind tests as well, and with skeptics that were convinced they wouldn't do anything. Admittedly, users report different effects, so it may be true that the H-G's effect may vary depending on the vehicle.

The GM at the Infiniti dealer has it on 3 of his vehicles. He's noticed most of the difference on his AT G35 and Frontier truck. Despite the numbers of positive comments of 6MT drivers of Zs and Gs, he says he only notices a significant improvement on his 6MT 350Z during more humid days! I'm hoping he'll notice the benefits that others have in their 6MTs when (if) I install the ECU wires to his system. So far, he's been enthusiastically recommending GroundingGear™ for auto tranny equipped cars, and more reserved in his recommendations for the manual equipped cars based on his own experience.

I honestly don't know if you can show a consistent power increase on dyno. I know many magazines and independent tests have shown the increases, sometimes significantly! I believe my own dyno showed at least a slight increase in both TQ and HP, some interpreting the data to show more, some less, but applying statistical analysis, shows a statistically significant change.

Regardless of power changes, most report an improvement in throttle response which may explain the sensation of increased power and pick-up. This, combined with smoothness increases the enjoyability of driving your car, which is what this mod is mostly about.

<font color=blue>[i]GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=blue>

Old 07-13-2004, 02:54 PM

I'm not sure why only those with negative or benign experiences should stop commenting. The newbs deserve to hear both sides. Not just those with claimed successes.

So long as experiences and opinions are voiced in an adult way with factual comments or even subjective comments voiced in a way that isn't flammatory (or inflammatory), I'll feel free to share all my opinions, observations, and quips to my hearts content.

There's no need for those that have positive thoughts about a mod to feel defensive that someone else doesn't share the same joy. And there's no need to keep scores or tallies as to the frequency of the comments. And there's no need to imply that those that didn't feel or find and MEASUREABLE difference installed them incorrectly or used the wrong brand. I can assure you this was not the case with me.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5/Crawford Cats

Old 07-13-2004, 03:00 PM

so much for hoping Gord

14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by SixFive on 07/13/04 12:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-13-2004, 09:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I'm not sure why only those with negative or benign experiences should stop commenting. The newbs deserve to hear both sides. Not just those with claimed successes. So long as experiences and opinions are voiced in an adult way with factual comments or even subjective comments voiced in a way that isn't flammatory (or inflammatory), I'll feel free to share all my opinions, observations, and quips to my hearts content."

Catafish:
Actually perhaps you don't realize this, but most, at least I, am still waiting for some maturity in your posts, at least when it comes to the subject of grounding. Rather than listen to other views on this mod, you insist on comments like:

"Re: Just installed Japanese Electric Power System Unit [re: UnlimitedTuning]

Catatafish (Veteran)
07/12/04 05:54 AM

Thanks. I'll put this info in my grounding wire, plenum gasket riser, tornado, and ebay $20 super chip folder.", yet I believe you posted in another forum that you objected to having grounding lumped in with mods like plenums, intakes, etc.

This certainly shows your obvious bias against grounding despite all the feedback that others have shared to the contrary. You insist on spamming every thread with your negative posts. Most of the negative feedback comes from you and Neffster. Rather than allowing the few others that may have negative or positive things to say, you've decided it is your role on this forum to attack the validity of this mod in it's entirety. I think based on your multitudeds of post, most will agree that you have not had any success with grounding. But to tell everyone else that it does absolutely no good just because you do not agree with it, is similar to playground bullying, and you are shouting louder than the other kids that differ with you so others might change their minds. We all know you don't think grounding works! Your multiple posts in all threads grounding related say so! Whom are you really trying to convince?

I've read several psychology thesis papers re behavior on internet forums. (Gord, knowing you're a therapist, I'm sure you have as well). I assure you, Mr. 'fish, that the type of behavior you exhibit had been described in detail, as well as the motivation behind same. Whether you choose to believe it or not is up to you.

Just as others that insist on calling the people that change lights, pedals, etc. ricers and assorted other names, you seek to make your opinion the only valid one. Even those that disagree with changing lights, etc. finally shut up, but since you haven't gotten much opposition to your views, you continue. (There's a psychology behind this as well)

I don't know why the moderators on this board allow some to repeatedly babble on like you do, as it has destroyed the decorum of other similar boards.

If I'm not mistaken, the Grounding FAQ contains comments from a huge number of board members that have experienced very positive experiences with the grounding, culled from the big thread at the top. By saying grounding does absolutely nothing , not only do you show your ignorance and bias, but you insult all other members by claiming that yours is the only valid point of view.

Sorry if I seem harsh, but I'm putting in another long day at the office with clients that don't seem to want to get better either!

My apologies to the other member of G35Driver.

Old 07-13-2004, 10:12 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ummm. I'm hoping this doesn't turn into one of those threads that disintegrates and must be closed. We don't need a pi$$ing match here.

Ck, I have a little bit of knowledge and background as you've inferred which is the reason I try not to respond to some posts. I assure you, a few members names repeatedly pop up amongst the Mods and Admins here and we are watching certain members. I believe that GSM has already PM'd some of the offenders.

You do make some valid points however. I also have to say that Catafish does make some valuable contribution to the threads, so it's up to the other members to think of him what they will.

BTW, I keep my 'therapist' persona separate from my function here. I don't get paid enough (anything really) to do that outside of my office. I'm actually a bit surprised that you're sharing what you are![img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I try to come here for a respite and accept that I can't treat any personality disorders by remote.[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

And yes, most, but not all of the comments posted on FAQ are from the members here. The members will recognize their own initials and places of origin, though most of the rest of us only know them by their user names. Chances are, if it's about a G35, it's from one of the members here. Many ppl said that they want the abridged version of effects to decide for themselves about this mod. The skeptics won't believe it does anything anyway, so it's likely they're not even going to bother reading it.

<font color=blue>[i]GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=blue>

Old 07-14-2004, 08:55 AM

ckg,
I seek to balance the discussion, particularly for the newbs. You're free to create a spreadsheet and measure the posts about grounding, and the responses from each side. I'm sure you'll find the frequency with which comments come from each side is fairly balanced. I'd say it's pretty fairly balanced if not favoring the side of the vendors comments. I don't post a testimonial every time I hear someone say something negative about the wires, although vendors constantly cite testimonials bolstering their assertions. This is what an entrepeneuring vendor should do, and it's a good business practice. However, when a newbie comes along they haven't "tracked" all my posts and I'll comment on them when I see that the situation warrants it. Sometimes, I'll even make a sarcastic comment among peers, but this is normal for a human being to do and I'll not apologize for that. I don't come remotely close to flaming so no biggie.

You're free to pass over my name when you see it. In fact, that's pretty much what I'll do when I see your name from now on. It's easy and if you believe in free will, you too can implement this technique. If you feel bullied, just pass on over my name when you see it. I do not have the power of telekinesis or mind control. And there's no need to claim I'm mentally ill or have some kind of diagnoseable internet behavior disorder, that's not really a valid arguement to why you think the wires help. It's an ad hominem arguement actually and you can read more about that and other fallacies at www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies. I'll try and keep my assertions to the wires them selves rather than attack you.

I'll continue to post my experiences with this product without degrading those that favor it, and I'll feel free to let out a smart quip now and then to a propaganda posting vendor ( I DO NOT mean Gord in this case). I am human and not above sarcasm. But I won't flame and don't think I have. I haven't been warned by any Mods and don't think I deserve to be. If you feel otherwise feel free to contact them and I'll take my lumps if I deserve them. Until then I wish you well with your mods, and your opinions.

Gord I have the utmost respect for you as a poster and entrepeneur. You are a great resource to this board but I disagree with the benefits of this product. I agree there is no need for urination contests over this, particularly with psychoanalysis arguments. I continue to wish you good luck with your product and until I can measure a benefit from it personally, I will continue to post my opinion on what it has done for me. I know you're man enough to accept this and hope you never take offense to my opinions.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5/Crawford Cats

Old 07-14-2004, 08:57 AM

No need to apaologize but don't give the bulleys too much credit...there is still a strong sense of being able to brainstorm without bias for ego or laden in what one already thinks they know around here. It's just simmered down some.

It's the new folks that need to feel like they can share an experience without getting trampled by the needy. They just need to ignore them as well and FEEL WELCOME to share and enjoy thier cars with us.

14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley