Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

pop charger power loss?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pop charger power loss?

has anyone felt that after installation of their pop charger that they lost power on their g35?...for some reason i feel like the stock airbox gave me more power in the upper end.....now when i punch my car around 20-30 mph....it feels like it takes longer to get up to 60 or 80 mph....it jus SOUNDS louder and pretty badass....but am i really loosing power from this mod....also i have a z tube and that definately gave me power....i like that mod

Old 07-19-2004, 03:44 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: pop charger power loss?

yes.
yes.
me too.

04 / BO / G / aero / splash / prem / perf / cc / 22%tint
z-tube / k&n drop-in / Eclipse AVN

Old 07-19-2004, 04:32 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran 8 sets of 0-60 times with and without the P-C this spring. I consistently ran .2 to .3 sec worse with the P-C.

I ran some dynos which I posted on the Compiled GroundingGear™ Dyno Data Thread. If you look at day 2 where I went back to a stock box, It seems to show that the stock box is better, though there may be some set-up differences, etc. from one day to the next. We were pretty careful about the set-up though, and certainly supports my 0-60 data. Someone else running a full CAI also told me he lost power.

<font color=blue>[i]GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=blue>

Old 07-19-2004, 05:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmmm *as i think about switching my p/c back to stock air box*

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. soon to have 19" volk gt-c's and PIAA xtreme whites in the clearance and corners
Houston Texas

Old 07-19-2004, 05:50 PM

I recently switched my Stillen CAB back to stock box and am fairly satisfied. I don't really sense a difference in power between the two, if anything the real low throttle response is better with stock (like 1500 RPM).

However, the greatest difference is in how smooth the engine runs. It now feels like a luxury car again, it does have attitude when you get on it, but for toting around town in low RPM's the stock airbox is 100x smoother. I also just got the best gas mileage for a tank since I've bought the car.

I sold the Stillen CAB and am applying that money towards an exhaust system. To date, from my analysis stock airbox + z-tube + exhaust yields the best gains for the buck (bolt-on). About 245WHP for that combo. You can scrape another 4-5 by adding the plenum, ECU, and cats, but to me it's just not worth it.

04 6MT Sedan - Z Tube, Stillen CAB, 04 Z Suspension

Old 07-19-2004, 08:30 PM

holy [censored]!...i thought i was right....damn i feel really happy now as well as stupid...i mean it kinda blows that i spent 120 on the pop charger that kinda sux...but im glad that i wasnt the only one that felt this way....i think ill jus get the k&n drop in....ill do some 0-60 times too with and without the pop charger....thanx a lot guys...i really like the sound of it though....but it was faking me out SOUNDING faster than my car really was....thanx....lets get more feedback on this subject

Old 07-19-2004, 08:36 PM
WRAH

Well since I'm not made of money I was going to add this Mod with nismo grounding, b/f going adding the vortech kit. I plan I buying everything at once and waiting on the install (can't find a place to tune a s/c.) So now what should I do?

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by WRAH on 07/19/04 05:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-19-2004, 08:46 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind that there are many ppl that are convinced that their cars are faster with the aftermarket intakes, so it may be that results differ depending on the car. But it is true that with a more aggressive sound, the mind can be tricked into the feeling that their cars are more powerful. To be honest, I'm not sure I felt much effect from the Z-tube either, but I'll keep it as I like the sound. I'm sure that some intake mods on some cars have shown improvements however. They may show better gains with a freer flowing exhaust than stock.

<font color=blue>[i]GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=blue>

Old 07-19-2004, 09:05 PM

Wow I'm really surprised by this. I just installed my P/C with Z-tube yesterday on my G, and it feels alot faster. I didn't expect to feel much of a difference at all, but I did. It's louder and more aggressive sounding. And at around 50 mph, I climb to 80 much faster than before.

This is just me and my opinions, but I'm happy after adding this mod.

Old 07-19-2004, 09:11 PM
DED

The popcharger doesn't do anything at all until over 6,000 rpm.

It won't give you a noticable gain OR loss in the "feeling" of power, unless you really whacked the install.

It won't increase OR decrease gas mileage.

The difference has more to do with ambient temp, humidity, who you're with, what music is on the radio, how good your grounds are, how much gas you got in the tank, air pressure in your tires, if you're on your way to work or on the way home, etc.

With no mod changes I notice a change in power, idle, and sound in the morning. After the engine comes up to temp it changes again, when it gets over 90F it changes again, when it starts to rain it changes again....

None of the cars at CF Dyno day with PCZT showed less HP or torque than stock.

I believe that the stock airbox with ztube is still probably the best (at least safest) solution, but my feeling is that any loss of power you feel has more to do with temp than the PC. You would feel less power with the stock too if it's over 90F.

If anything, I think it looks cooler than stock.

So there.

2004 G35C 6MT Black. Killer.

Old 07-19-2004, 09:12 PM

Mine definitely felt faster when I installed the Stillen Airbox (used to it now). I've mentioned before, but I really wasn't expecting to feel it and when I had my Z, I could definitely tell the Nismo CAI lost power and throttle response...

Either way, no one should expect any intake on the market for the G to produce more than -5 to 5 rwhp. They are mostly for show/sound on this car.

Old 07-19-2004, 11:20 PM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

why is this in the forced induction area?

i def like this new section and just saw it, but this doesnt have anything to do with FI and should be in the tech section.

Daniel

03.5 5AT DP Coupe
Ground Kit / Z – Tube / Shock Sensor / 5% Tint - 30% Windshield
Clear Corners / L.E.D. Hood Lights / KPTech VDC Memory
KPTech OEM Remote Window Up / Invidia Exhaust

Old 07-20-2004, 02:03 AM

Man almost everybody is talking about hp loss.

Old 07-20-2004, 09:11 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been following this topic for some time. Last month I removed
my Stillen CAB and replaced it with the stock air box. I left it
on for over one week. I was looking to find more lower end power,
as several of us were saying it produced less low end hp/tq.
Well...I didn't notice any increase, but I was certainly missing the
growl of the Stillen. After I decided the Stillen did't cost me any
low end fun, I put it back on after I cleaned the conical filter.
Now the Sedan rocks again! I can't live without the Stillen HFAB

2003 TwBlue 5AT Sedan, sunroof,
Graphite Leather, splashguards, HKS exhaust,
14 wire Grounding kit, 350Z duct, Stillen CAI
Underbody rear diffusers, Drilled alum pedals

Old 07-22-2004, 08:13 PM

heh...
this is something similar to my bike.
I experienced horsepower loss on my 636 when I changed out my filter to a K&N Element.

I went back to my OEM Kawasaki element and regained my hp rate.

In the G35's case, it's going to a open element vs keeping the stock box.

| Hawaii International Race School | Formula Hawaii | Drift Session | Mid Pac Road Racing Association |

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: pop charger power loss?