Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Pop-charger w/Z-tube or K&N w/Ztube NEED HELP FAST

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Pop-charger w/Z-tube or K&N w/Ztube NEED HELP

I've got the Z tube/K&N drop-in (stock airbox) combo and love it!!! It seems as if they add a few HP and the sound from a WOT (especially over 3,500rpm) is definitely addictive (no whistle here...just a mean growl)!!! ;-)

I highly recommend both; not sure about the K&N cone filter though, but for $128 incl. shipping for the Z tube and the K&N drop-in filter together, you can't go wrong...many would agree, this combo is probably the best bang for your buck mod for the G35.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 07/21/04 03:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-21-2004, 08:02 PM

which web site did you get that combo from??

Old 07-21-2004, 08:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the Stillen intake on almost as soon as I got my car. I'm closing in on 30k miles so I swapped the stock one back in while I inspect/clean the Stillen filter. I will probably go back to it when the temps cool down a little bit.

My impressions are pretty much the same as everyone else. I seem to have gained some low end torque and it does seem a bit smoother. The whistle/squeal I had at about 2.5k rpms under mild accelleration is gone which I actually like. However, the cone filters (Stillen/Pop Charger) do seem to add some character to the overall driving experience. I now notice just how quiet my Borla exhaust is with the intake off and it seems like something is missing. I would say buy a Stillen/Pop Charger for the sound only and if you gain some power thats great.

DG/G 6MT coupe, Borla exhaust, Stillen intake, Z aluminum pedals, clear corners

Old 07-22-2004, 08:04 AM

I got the Z tube from EverythingG35.com For $74.99 + shipping and I got the K&N drop-in air filter from PerformanceNissanParts.com for $39.65 + shipping...total for the two = $128.51 incl. shipping. Not bad for such a great mod!!!

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter

Old 07-22-2004, 05:19 PM
Re: Pop-charger w/Z-tube or K&N w/Ztube NEED HELP FAST

or do set-up like mine...........ztube+k&n panel filter, open the stock airbox more by removing that "power duct" piece........in the 95+ heat were're having in the LA area, i am so happy my engine is not injesting all that HOT air under the hood.......for the sound, it really snarls at around 3K+.

04 6mt Sedan / stock airbox mod / z-tube / k&n panel filter / crank pulley / 18" r/h c2s / s-tein springs<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by klg35 on 07/22/04 02:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-23-2004, 02:47 AM

what is the power duck piece?? do you have the pictures to illustrate it for me? Wow, I got lots of help from the members in forum..

Thank you for everyone's help... and keep on coming.^^

Old 07-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try going back to the oem filter and you should not see a change [measure a change] vs oiled cotton drop in filter.

Remember the MAF output voltage was calibrated against [with oem setup].........every change you make throws the MAF calibration off track.

Old 07-23-2004, 11:23 AM

I have had a z-tube and K&N filter for months, but because I am mechanically challenged I have not installed in my coupe. SoCalTed generously offered to install for me, but he is too far from the west side of LA.
Anyone know where I can get the intake competently installed, fairly close to west side of LA, without having to mortgage the house?
Thanks for your help.
FRED

03 Coupe; 5AT; Diamond Graphite/Graphite;
Premium & Performance Packs, with Chrome OEM Wheels;
Partly Debadged; Aluminum Pedals; (soon) Z-Tube K & N Filter;
Fujitsubo Exhaust with Y Pipe

Old 07-23-2004, 12:09 PM

FYI - There's a couple of good 350Z intake tube install guides online; here they are:

http://www.g35world.com/howto/350z_i...be_install.htm

www.6mt.net/shop/350zintake.asp

I have to admit, my brother installed my Z tube for me, but the directions are very straightforward and easy with good pictures; I could have done it (even though I'm not very good mechanically speaking), but it just would taken me about 2x as long as his 20 min. Get it done soon...you won't regret installing it!!!

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 07/23/04 09:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-23-2004, 06:54 PM

Just ordered K&N drop in Filter and the Z-tube from Performance nissian parts. com or something for 123.00 dollar -ish included ship. I hope those come soon as possible. I am doing car wash my car today..before I install the parts.
With K&N Typhoon, I experienced good sound, but when my car is at stop, the engine RPM goes down close to bottom, and the car shakes little, and the RPM goes little up, then down and shake, and so on. I guess that's be cause MAF is off the track?? I don't like my car shaking a little in idle, that 's one of the reason I am changing(one other reason is that my intake makes whining sound(sound like old beat up car trying to WOT) end of the 2nd gear for long time, and it's annoying)

2004 IP everything 5AT/MOMO shift ****/Typhoon/PS2/Clear Corners/Blue Fog Lt/All white blue bulbs inside out except purple light under the door/Z-tube and K&N Drop in (on the way)

Old 07-23-2004, 07:56 PM

I think you'll be very happy with the Z tube/K&N drop-in filter setup; you could do an overnight negative battery terminal disconnect to reset the ECU, but I've been told that it's not necessary since the computer will learn your new setup after some time. I didn't do the ECU reset when I put in the Z tube/K&N and it's definitely adjusted as far as I can tell... improved power and sound with WOT and no idle, MAF, or other engine issues. However, I am planning on getting my ECU reflashed by Infiniti after the '05's come out in an attempt to resolve my 5AT MM tranny issues and maybe add a few HP as well ;-) Enjoy!

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter

Old 07-23-2004, 10:34 PM

To get a ECU flashed at the dealer, is it free? Would they do it under warranty if I complain about MM reponse is slow?
How you would do it? or we actually have to pay?

2004 IP everything 5AT/MOMO shift ****/Typhoon/PS2/Clear Corners/Blue Fog Lt/All white blue bulbs inside out except purple light under the door/Z-tube and K&N Drop in (on the way)

Old 07-24-2004, 01:05 AM

Not sure exactly yet, since the '05's aren't out yet, but I have complained more than once about my MM mode's shifting (the delay and the fact that it doesn't always shift into gear when I upshift). I took my service mgr out for a quick ride and duplicated it 2x; his techs hooked it up to their computer and they told me that my tranny is operating normally, but when I asked him about the '05 ECU and maybe TCU reflash, he said that may be an option at that time and yes, it would be under warranty...we'll see. I hope so b/c the tranny in MM mode shouldn't respond (or not respond) this way, imo. Not that I'm an expert by any means, but I think it's a glitch in the ECU and/or TCU and hopefully, it would be fixed for the '05.

Old 07-25-2004, 08:56 AM

BrianV,

Do you want to sell your Pop Charger?

PM Me...

Old 07-28-2004, 09:23 PM

I got my z-tube and the K&N drop in filter. I am going to install tonight....
But I am going to see how K&N Typhoon works first(I have to tighten more because I hear some air leak noise) and see how z-tube and drop in filter works out for me in performance. I will put some common after the install maybe tomorrow afternoon...

I am just so happy my shipment got here fast~^^;

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pop-charger w/Z-tube or K&N w/Ztube NEED HELP FAST