Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Analysis of the 335 and G37 (warning, math heavy)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Just in case bmw huggers don't believe it, LOL

http://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds/...p-474rwtq.html

Old 07-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by djamps
Take that $15k in savings over the bimmer and have GTM make it a 600whp TT G37. Yes, the stock block can take over 600whp with a basic TT kit, exhaust and a reflash. Now what's the better 'bang for the buck'.

Nissan FTMFW.
No win for Nissan. NA motors that are boosted are never remotely as dependable and ALWAYS seem to have major and annoying driveability issues. You'd better know an excellent mechanic if you have high hopes for a boosted VQ.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Infiniti Chica
Best ranked within it's category of German and European cars I assume is what you're saying. When compared to Japanese models (Acura, Lexus, Infiniti and possibly the Genesis at some point) and now a small number of American cars, the BMW's do not stack up based on Consumer Reports, Edmunds, JD Powers and other rating systems.

I would love to own a BMW, but not at the cost of having a repair shop name a wing or conference room after me.

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread.
Nope. BMW is ranked 7th on JD Power's 2008 LTD survey and is way ahead of the industry average in terms of reported problems. That means BMWs overall, are pretty reliable. BMW is way more reliable than Infiniti and even Honda.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...spx?ID=2008115

Old 07-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
No win for Nissan. NA motors that are boosted are never remotely as dependable and ALWAYS seem to have major and annoying driveability issues. You'd better know an excellent mechanic if you have high hopes for a boosted VQ.
+1 on having the work done by an excellent mechanic with alot of boosted VQ under his sleeve.

A properly boosted VQ drives like it was boosted from the factory and isn't any less reliable if spec'd, installed, and taken care of properly. I can attest with first hand experience the drivability of my boosted VQ is 100% stock.

People cutting corners or otherwise having half-*** work done by themselves or unqualified shops that don't stand behind their work, that's another story.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
the 335i is the better car and I am a infiniti fan boy

Old 07-06-2009, 07:09 AM
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
Nope. BMW is ranked 7th on JD Power's 2008 LTD survey and is way ahead of the industry average in terms of reported problems. That means BMWs overall, are pretty reliable. BMW is way more reliable than Infiniti and even Honda.
I reread the article and found that BMW is not ranked very highly. here is their quote:
For a 14th consecutive year, Lexus ranks highest in vehicle dependability, improving by 25 problems per 100 vehicles since 2007 to achieve a score of 120 PP100. Following in the top five rankings are Mercury, Cadillac, Toyota and Acura, respectively.

In addition, Lexus garners six segment awards—the most of any nameplate in 2008—for the ES 330, GX 470, IS 300, LS 430, LX 470 and SC 430. Toyota follows with five segment awards for the Highlander, Prius, RAV4, Sequoia, and Tundra. Ford and Honda each capture two awards. Ford models receiving awards are the Crown Victoria and Ranger, while Honda earns awards for the Element and S2000. Models by Buick, Chevrolet, Hyundai, Mazda and Mercury each rank highest in one segment.
In addition, the vehicle dependability section of the study ranks Infiniti above BMW. Even Buick and Mercury have higher dependability ratings according to their survey.

JD powers does not do a break-out by car, Consumer Reports does, as Edmunds (I think).

Old 07-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me being a G35 owner, I know i'm not the fastest around, even after spending 2k on exhaust, MD spacer and tune we can't be that fast. But thats not the point. This car just looks super fast and it looks beatiful. I think this was more of what infiniti had in mind when they did the car.

imo- all bmw's have the same bland look, inside and out. the 3-5-7 have similar straight lines and thats it its to simple. the G35/37 have a better design and thats more important. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind smoking a 335i just to see their face, but we cant do that unless we go FI.

However, at least with my G35 i know is dependable and reliable as opposed to a bimmer, that could possible but not all have major reliability problems.

overheating was a major problem when the 335i fist came out after that 4yr warranty your going to be paying an arm & leg to repair stuff. thats why most people lease bmw not finance.

if you want a fast car get an evo or sti, spend 4k and you will have a really fast car, if you want a reliable fast enough for a DD, good looking car than stick with the G-family

Old 07-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
BMW has dropped and Infiniti has climbed for 2009:

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...spx?ID=2009043

Old 07-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by rcdash
BMW has dropped and Infiniti has climbed for 2009:

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...spx?ID=2009043
Yes, but they're still above the industry average and that includes all makes of BMWs including the unreliable 7-series and somewhat expensive to maintain 5 series. The 3 series has had a fairly solid reliability record, even when going by CR. A 3 series is the only BMW I would consider owning because their fairly cheap to maintain and work on, if you're a DIYer. I'm all about purchasing reliable cars and I'm entirely comfortable with buying a later model 3 series, most likely a slightly used base 335i coupe or possibly an E46 M3.

I absolutely love my G and it's been a solid and reliable car. For the money, you can't go wrong and IMO, it's a steal. But if I had the choice and money, I would much rather have a slightly used 335i (sedan or coupe) over a G37 sedan or coupe. It's just a better overall performing car. Looks wise, I think the 335i models own the looks of the G37, especially with wheels and other aero enhancements.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitG35
the 335i is the better car and I am a infiniti fan boy
I own a 335i and I would say otherwise. While I personally feel the 335i is faster than the G37 in stock form...however, that is only half the battle.

In terms of reliability I would say Infiniti/Nissan blows the 335i away. I have owned my 335i for 8 months and it has seen service in that period more than my G35 has in the 6 years that I have owned it.

As far as creature comforts are concerned I would say they are about equal, with the Infiniti having a slightly better NAV system.

The only reason I bought the 335i is believe it or not I got a better price with BMW than I did for the G37. I was dissapointed that Infiniti was not willing to deal more.

As far as modding potential goes...there is big potential with both platforms. Each one of these cars can be made monsters via the aftermarket.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by silver g
I own a 335i and I would say otherwise. While I personally feel the 335i is faster than the G37 in stock form...however, that is only half the battle.

In terms of reliability I would say Infiniti/Nissan blows the 335i away. I have owned my 335i for 8 months and it has seen service in that period more than my G35 has in the 6 years that I have owned it.

As far as creature comforts are concerned I would say they are about equal, with the Infiniti having a slightly better NAV system.

The only reason I bought the 335i is believe it or not I got a better price with BMW than I did for the G37. I was dissapointed that Infiniti was not willing to deal more.

As far as modding potential goes...there is big potential with both platforms. Each one of these cars can be made monsters via the aftermarket.

what about the handling between the 2?

Old 07-06-2009, 02:53 PM
There was a comparo in Motortrend between these two cars. The 335 edged out the G only slightly in most of the tests, but due to the fact the 335's oil kept overheating on the track they gave the win to the G. Apparently it's been fixed (now ships with oil coolers) but you can see where reliability can be very important. It would suck to be slowly cooking your engine over the years and ending up needing a longblock after your bearings take a dump and destroy your heads and turbos.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djamps
Just in case bmw huggers don't believe it, LOL

http://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds/...p-474rwtq.html

Yea but you cant prove its reliable. How many TT g37s are on the road? How many miles do that have on them? How hard have they been driven? Im sorry just because they say its reliable, doesnt mean jack. For one, on a dyno they cant reproduce every single load you are going to encounter on the road. Two, They cant replicate the way thousands of people drive there cars. And three, what would you rather have 300whp (and you only have to spend 2gs or so and you have a reliable 400whp, which will put down most things on the road) that has proven to be reliable or 600whp that is untested? And you could later have to put another 15grand into a fully built motor thats probably not gonna be that reliable. Honestly ill take the Bimmer for peace of mind. You need to except the g37 for what it is.

Ive never driven a 335i but i have driven a 135i and i will say that car and driver over hypes the bmw because they recieve big bucks from them to do so. The physical steering wheel feels great, its nice and fat (very race car-esq) but it does feel some what numb. The g35 has to much road feel in the wheel and i feel the bmw just doesnt have enough but it does feel very responsive. During every day driving i dont think youll notice a difference in the steering as far as responsiveness goes. As for the shifting. Its OK, its definitly better then a Gs shifting but still doesnt hold a candle to the honda s2000 shifter. I dont know what the word im looking for is but its a little to slick of a shifter. I like the car to feel like its going into gear without being to notchy the bwm lacks this. I will say that the overall handling and ride quality is awesome in the BMW, you cant beat it.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitG35
what about the handling between the 2?
Obviously the handling is better in the bimmer, but the G37 is no slouch either. If you are using the car for daily driving purposes I would say the G37 is good enough.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:29 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
But a reflashed 335 would also have questionable reliability for the same reasons as a boosted VQ. In both cases, we exceed the respective manufacturer's designed power output.

There is also a big difference between the newer HR/VHR motors in terms of strength and breathing capability. Its dual throttle bodies and MAFs are almost begging to be force fed. TT technology has come a long way. Even the stock ECU (w/Osiris) is being used to manage 600+ WHp now. Prices have also come down substantially making a boosted G37 compete very well in power and price even against a reflashed 335.

I also understand the 335's turbos are small compared to the GT-28's used by GTM in their stage 1 kit. In short, a reflashed 335 is maxed out whereas the G37 can still be "dialed-up" for those daring to do so. I wonder how much bigger turbos run for the BMW?

More HR/VHR are being boosted everyday with good results so far but IMHO, I think the venerable 335 has finally met its match.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Analysis of the 335 and G37 (warning, math heavy)