Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Why is there a raspy metal on metal like sound when revving engine cold?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:07 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Why is there a raspy metal on metal like sound when revving engine cold?

It's not something I do all the time. I just decided to rev the engine high after starting it, and theres a raspy, metal-on-metal type sound coming from the engine when revs go past 3k rpms, more so around 4k rpms and up. The sound goes away after the engine has warmed up a bit in like a few minutes.

What's that sound about? (yes I have enough oil)

Old 07-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Even if it hasn't happened to you, just thoughts of what it could be? Thanks.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Thats just the way it sounds.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:14 PM
Weird, it doesn't sound right. Almost sounds like there's not enough oil circulating the engine.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
probably because you just started the car..

Old 07-31-2009, 04:26 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
What you're hearing are hot exhaust gases going through cold piping. Also, the heat shields are marginally loose when the piping isn't fully warmed. It has nothing to do with the internal operation of the motor.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
What you're hearing are hot exhaust gases going through cold piping. Also, the heat shields are marginally loose when the piping isn't fully warmed. It has nothing to do with the internal operation of the motor.
Ohh, awesome. Thanks for the solid info!

Old 08-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Although I agree with what DaveB says, you don't want to be reving a cold engine even when the outside temps are up. Give it at least few minutes until the temp gauge begins to register so that your oil, water pump and belts have some time to adjust.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Yeah its a new car for me, just listening to the engine at different temperature's, checking for odd sounds and what not. This is first engine I've had that sounded odd after starting.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Actually, it could be exactly what you thought....there isn't enough oil. Thats because when the car cools down all the oil drains. As the engine warms up the oil will slowly get pumped back up to the cylinders.

There is a reason you shouldn't rev your car when its cold. It can cause scarring on the cylinder walls. Not exactly the type of premature wear you want on ANY engine.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
Actually, it could be exactly what you thought....there isn't enough oil. Thats because when the car cools down all the oil drains. As the engine warms up the oil will slowly get pumped back up to the cylinders.

There is a reason you shouldn't rev your car when its cold. It can cause scarring on the cylinder walls. Not exactly the type of premature wear you want on ANY engine.
Like I said, first car to make that noise. And considering the VDC thats on our cars, I think Infiniti did their best on making the car idiot proof, so I doubt I'm scarring the engine.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
And considering the VDC thats on our cars, I think Infiniti did their best on making the car idiot proof...
I dunno about that. Most idiots still know how to press a button.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Point is, they're selling a fast car to the masses. Cold start revs better be 'ok' for the engine, or they'd have a ball with warranty.

It's an infiniti, not some 1980 ford.

I'm sure its the heatshields/piping, as stated earlier.

Last edited by SlickSilverG; 08-01-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley

The oil pump is driven by rpm so if you rev the motor, the pump runs harder. I do agree though, revving a cold motor is never a good idea because the oil isn't at an ideal temp. However, I think the sound he's talking about is when the engine is fairly warm, but the pipes aren't and you get on the gas a bit and hear a metallic ringing sound, especially in the 2000-4000rpms range. My HR y-pipe is a lot more prone to this sound when it's cold.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
The oil pump is driven by rpm so if you rev the motor, the pump runs harder. I do agree though, revving a cold motor is never a good idea because the oil isn't at an ideal temp. However, I think the sound he's talking about is when the engine is fairly warm, but the pipes aren't and you get on the gas a bit and hear a metallic ringing sound, especially in the 2000-4000rpms range. My HR y-pipe is a lot more prone to this sound when it's cold.
Yep its right around that range. The sound doesn't follow engine speed, just in that narrow band of around 4k rpms.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why is there a raspy metal on metal like sound when revving engine cold?