Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Help with EVAP Vent control valve SES Code P0455

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found this EVAP control valve fairly easy to install. Remove four bolts on the plastic cover. The valve is on the end of the plastic canister towards the front of the car- It is on the side of the end of the canister towards the right of the car. To remove, you will need to turn the valve counter clockwise. There is a tab keeping the valve from turning counter clockwise. I just took a long screw driver and pushed up on the tab and then rotated the valve. It turns from the 12 oclock position to the 9 oclosk position.

Attached Thumbnails Help with EVAP Vent control valve SES Code P0455-dsc04906.jpg   Help with EVAP Vent control valve SES Code P0455-dsc04907.jpg   Help with EVAP Vent control valve SES Code P0455-dsc04908.jpg   Help with EVAP Vent control valve SES Code P0455-dsc04909.jpg   Help with EVAP Vent control valve SES Code P0455-dsc04918.jpg  

Old 11-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by bigwilly
Ok obviously I can't even do something that should be simple. What am I doing wrong here? I have the panel off and the hose off, but I can't get the stupid electrical plug off or get the valve itself off. I have the valve turned about 90 degrees counter clockwise and the thing won't budge, I've tried it at different angles also and nothing. Also I been trying to unclip the electrical connector and I can't get it to budge either, There isn't enough room to fit needle nose pliers under there.
You need to push on the tab on the top of the plug....

Old 04-20-2011, 09:46 AM
how do i kow if it is this or the gas cap? I just got a new oem gas cap. It didn't solve the issue (maybe its defective?).

My SES light seems to come on between 2/3rds tank and 1/3rd tank then again under 1/8 tank. Does this imply anything? Otherwise I could probably put this thing in myself. Sounds easier then changing a headlight (much easier then replacing a g35 headlight).

Old 04-20-2011, 11:08 AM
is this the same part? will the work? anyone every try it (you have to scroll down to my selection)?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=4936

Old 10-06-2014, 07:13 PM
It's been a long time since anybody asked questions on this thread. I will try the listed part in the previous post from Rock Auto. Its $40 and is listed as a direct replacement. i will update this post after I replace it.

Thanks to all who added information. My newly aquired '05 sedan is throwing the code so I may try this fix.

Thanks to the OP and all who added information.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:14 AM
It appears to be the same part. Had the same code p0455 on a very high mile g35 sedan. replaced the vent control valve to the canister and the gas cap, no light so far. i also had to clean out the female area for the gas cap a little as it had accumulated some dirt etc around the fill area. MPGs are significantly better now thank god! now to do that 2nd rear wheel bearing :S now theres a pita for ya. Got mine 63$ from NAPA, was in stock. there was a more expensive 80-90$ version that is apparently a newer design but i'd rather replace it with the exact part. It lasted this long i imagine it will last the remainder of the cars life

i did however snap 3/4 of the bolts to remove the cover for the canister box.. damn midwest rust! you know there is also a small service hole if you dont wanna mess with that its just two tabs on one side you gotta push in with a screwdriver straight up on the outside edges, then the back pops straight up. My clip needed persuading so i ended up taking the cover off completely.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Do you have the part numbers for the napa parts?

Old 11-29-2014, 05:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Zack342
Do you have the part numbers for the napa parts?
BUMP any one fixed this problem yet? If so with what parts and how?

Thank you!

Old 03-02-2015, 11:02 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Is there a way to test the Vent Control valve?

I have P0455 code that takes a while to develop as a CEL (stored as pending code for a while first). I replaced the gas cap and it didn't change anything. I want to try this valve next.

OEM is around $100 and rockauto.com is $40. I'd like to be able to test it first so unsure if anyone has has a procedure. Being a solenoid valve, i'd imagine i can check resistance across the coil, but without knowing "good" values I don't have much to check it against.

EDIT:

Found it. Start around page 420 and keep reading

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Seda...5_Sedan/ec.pdf

What's interesting is according to the FSM, p0455 has nothing to do with a bad gas cap at all

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 03-02-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:15 AM
Ok, replaced my EVAP Canister vent control valve and erased the code. It came back. So for my P0455 it was neither the gas cap, nor the EVAP canister vent control valve. (once i solve this issue, i'll reinstall both OEM parts. The aftermarket get cap sucks)

I dug into the FSM, and they list the causes for the various codes.

P0488 is the DTC for the vent control valve. I checked the OEM part i removed and it functioned fine. No different than the Dorman part i replaced it with. I kinda regret not testing the original beforehand. I applied 12V to the connector and it clicked shut per the FSM troubleshooting methods (page 435 and on) and when i resistance checked the coil, i got around 16ohms on both. Didn't check the wiring harness yet to make sure I had 12V on it. SO my conclusion is that unless you have P0488, there is no need to change the evap vent control valve.

Checking the FSM for P0455 shows a different solution other than bad gas cap, or the EVAP vent control valve.

P0455 refers to the "Evap Canister Purge Volume control solenoid" that is located under the hood. Page 422 in the FSM above.

Cause is listed as this
P0445
EVAP canister purge volume
control solenoid valve circuit
shorted
An excessively high voltage signal is sent
to ECM through the valve
Harness or connectors
(The solenoid valve circuit is shorted.)
EVAP canister purge volume control
solenoid valve
Ive yet to start troubleshooting this one yet. Giving it a another shot of erasing my P0455 code and seeing if it come back. But not holding my breath since it came back once.

This valve is located on the intake manifold bolted to the rear passenger side. Gotta pull the plastic cover off.. One side goes to throttle body and the other the rear EVAP system.

Rockauto.com has the part....it's $91. Standard Motor Products #CP743 It's $91. Gonna troubleshoot before replacing

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 03-18-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:57 PM
Some good troubleshooting info here.

http://www.ismcentral.com/DTC/DTC_P0455.pdf

Basically, the order they have you go for troubleshooting it to replace gas cap first, then the EVAP vent control valve, and then the purge volume control solenoid on the engine.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:31 AM
UPDATE: Fixed

Guess it was the EVAP Canister Purge valve. After a day or so I checked the car for codes, pending codes and monitor readiness and found everything was all set. I erased the computer again (to double check) and put the original gas cap back on (because aftermarket doesn't have the loop that holds the cap to the car) and after 15 miles or so, the monitors all reset and everything is good.

So for me, my P0455 WAS the EVAP purge canister valve. $40ish from Rockauto for the Dorman part.

I checked the old valve again. I applied 12V to it and while the solenoid clicked, i checked for airflow through the valve by blowing on it (i didn't do this before) and found that the valve was not closing properly like it should. So the original valve did fail even though the solenoid was working.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
This thread is full of vague information. Here is what you have to do.

There is a large plastic cover panel at the rear of the car, right in the center. Behind the passenger rear wheel is the muffler, don't go looking for an access door there - there isn't one.

The panel is held in place with three screws and two nuts, along with two plastic push-expanding retainers. All must be removed.

Once the panel is removed, you will see the vapor canisters and the valve, which is on the passenger side of the vapor canister. To remove this control valve you must pull off a hose, and remove the electrical connection. Use a screwdriver to gently pry the connector free from the valve start at the top where the tap is located. Then rotate the valve counterclockwise, you will hear a click as the valve disengages from a clip hidden from view. You must rotate the valve about 120 degrees.

Now rotate the replacement valve into place, the new gasket requires considerable force to compress and then rotate back into place.

Reattach the hose and electrical connections. Consider some anti-seize on the nuts and bolts holding the cover on. Also might be good to have two extra plastic fasteners as I had to drill mine out.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
UPDATE: Fixed

Guess it was the EVAP Canister Purge valve. After a day or so I checked the car for codes, pending codes and monitor readiness and found everything was all set. I erased the computer again (to double check) and put the original gas cap back on (because aftermarket doesn't have the loop that holds the cap to the car) and after 15 miles or so, the monitors all reset and everything is good.

So for me, my P0455 WAS the EVAP purge canister valve. $40ish from Rockauto for the Dorman part.

I checked the old valve again. I applied 12V to it and while the solenoid clicked, i checked for airflow through the valve by blowing on it (i didn't do this before) and found that the valve was not closing properly like it should. So the original valve did fail even though the solenoid was working.
Hello all,

After reading all the helpful info, Im kind of confused. I have the P0455 ses code and Ive decided to buy the part but Rock Auto names them differently. Which one is correct?

Purge valve (by the intake) $110
Or
Canister selenoid (rear of the car)$45

http://www.rockauto.com/m/mobilecatalog.php?carcode=1431975&parttype=4936

Vapor Canister Purge Valve

2005 INFINITI G35 3.5L V6 :
Emission : Vapor Canister Purge Valve Price
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # CP743
Intermotor Solenoid

$106.79
Add to Cart
Vapor Canister Vent Solenoid

2005 INFINITI G35 3.5L V6 :
Emission : Vapor Canister Vent Solenoid Price
DORMAN Part # 911503
{#14935AM600, 14935AM60A, 14935AM60B}

$42.89
Add to Cart
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # CVS67
Intermotor

$74.79
Add to Cart
AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 2M1219
{#14935JF00B, PV585}

$76.79
Add to Cart
Engine

Old 06-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Jusseth
Hello all,

After reading all the helpful info, Im kind of confused. I have the P0455 ses code and Ive decided to buy the part but Rock Auto names them differently. Which one is correct?

Purge valve (by the intake) $110
Or
Canister selenoid (rear of the car)$45

Rockauto does name them weird.

VAPOR CANISTER PURGE VALVE is the one by the intake manifold

VAPOR CANISTER VENT SOLENOID is the one by the rear of the car.

I went with the DORMAN Part # 911503 which cured my P0455.

I removed my old one and tested it by applying 12V to the terminals. The solenoid buzzed and never fully closed. So that is how my original failed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help with EVAP Vent control valve SES Code P0455