Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

plenum spacer PROBLEM :( need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
plenum spacer PROBLEM :( need help

Hey guys...So i kinda was stupid as **** wit this and idk exactly what i should do. So i have the spacer on and it seems there isnt a leak or not yet but the bolt in the middle of the throttle bottle probably snapped and made a gun like pop noise. I know i fvcked up and i dont want to hear people fvcking saying im an idiot but can someone give me some advice in what i should do? i guess i didnt properly use the torque wrench right on it but the rest i have them torque correctly...

Old 09-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by repin_LB
Hey guys...So i kinda was stupid as **** wit this and idk exactly what i should do. So i have the spacer on and it seems there isnt a leak or not yet but the bolt in the middle of the throttle bottle probably snapped and made a gun like pop noise. I know i fvcked up and i dont want to hear people fvcking saying im an idiot but can someone give me some advice in what i should do? i guess i didnt properly use the torque wrench right on it but the rest i have them torque correctly...
You have a few choices.

First, you could chance leaving it as it is as long as it isn't leaking. As long as it doesn't, it might not matter much that one bolt snapped.

If you want it fixed, then you take things back apart, and see if you can get hold of the remaining portion of the bolt. If you can, try to turn it back out and replace it. I would file two sides flat and then use strong vise grips. If its broken off flush, then carefully drill it, and use a bolt remover. If that fails, then drill and tap it and replace the bolt. You'll need to figure out the right size bit to drill it out, and you'll have to be careful as the steel bolt is harder than the surrounding aluminum casting.

Alternatively you could try to buy a replacement lower plenum section or throttle body (whatever part you snapped off the bolt in) from a junk yard or on the forums.

You probably don't have all the tools you need but you'll have just have to borrow or buy them.

Good luck.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
I don't understand what you've done.

Which bolt did you snap?

Old 09-24-2009, 12:35 AM

bolt number 6 is the messed up one

Old 09-24-2009, 10:53 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
Take the top off again and use some vise grips as said to remove the remaining stud. The tq setting is INCH pounds not Foot pounds that is a common mistake that people make. You are not the first one.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Msg Hydrazine (tony)
He can give you the measurements so that you can go and pick one up from a local source.. Or just order the replacement bolts from his website.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
Take the top off again and use some vise grips as said to remove the remaining stud. The tq setting is INCH pounds not Foot pounds that is a common mistake that people make. You are not the first one.
so was the poping sound just the sound of the bolt snaping in half or did i do something else?

Old 09-24-2009, 11:56 PM
yeah and i will prob message tony see if he can do anything

Old 09-26-2009, 01:44 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Take the bolt out and see if its messed up. It's possible the bolt didnt snap. Why haven't you tried that already...or have you? If it's broken take the plenum off and get the same size bolt as number 1 and replace.