Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Check those PCV valves

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Check those PCV valves

For the past 6 weeks or so, the part throttle acceleration of my car felt a bit flat and not quite right. While I was at my last auto-x event, I had the hood up while the car was idling between runs and I heard a hissing sound coming from the area of the PCV valve (forward passenger side valve cover). It was a sound I had never heard before. While a PCV valve does have some noise associated with it, this was much louder than normal. When I got home, I pulled the valve. Everything seemed fine, but when I applied to vacuum to the valve, it would not hold it. There was a small leak or obstruction letting a small bit of air through. The correct operation of the valve is to close under high vaccum situations such as throttle throttle acceleration. At WOT, there is no vacuum therefore the operation of the valve isn't that important. I attempted to clean the valve, but it would still leak. I called around to all the Nissan and Infiniti dealers and none of them stocked the valve because they said it never failed. I would agree, I've never had a PCV valve fail before, but I guess there's always a first time. I ordered a new valve, got it, and tested it. It held vacuum perfectly. I put the valve in and driveability was back to normal. My MPGs are up about 10% too over the past 2 weeks even with the cooler temps.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
part #?

Old 10-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i also hear a hissing noise fromt the pcv area ill check mine out tomm. hopefully the dealer stocks that item.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:17 PM
same prob here all fixed

Old 10-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
For the past 6 weeks or so, the part throttle acceleration of my car felt a bit flat and not quite right. While I was at my last auto-x event, I had the hood up while the car was idling between runs and I heard a hissing sound coming from the area of the PCV valve (forward passenger side valve cover). It was a sound I had never heard before. While a PCV valve does have some noise associated with it, this was much louder than normal. When I got home, I pulled the valve. Everything seemed fine, but when I applied to vacuum to the valve, it would not hold it. There was a small leak or obstruction letting a small bit of air through. The correct operation of the valve is to close under high vaccum situations such as throttle throttle acceleration. At WOT, there is no vacuum therefore the operation of the valve isn't that important. I attempted to clean the valve, but it would still leak. I called around to all the Nissan and Infiniti dealers and none of them stocked the valve because they said it never failed. I would agree, I've never had a PCV valve fail before, but I guess there's always a first time. I ordered a new valve, got it, and tested it. It held vacuum perfectly. I put the valve in and driveability was back to normal. My MPGs are up about 10% too over the past 2 weeks even with the cooler temps.
I'm hearing the same thing. How many miles are on your car I'm at 108k. How much and where did you get the valve from?

Old 10-28-2009, 01:27 AM
you can go to any parts store but i ordered mine from the deal only took 2 days to get in.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:39 AM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
how much

Old 10-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I picked up one up a while back from the dealer for $16 and autozone had the purolator pcv for $15 as well.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
according to the FSM, you can check this by removing the PCV valve from the rocker cover (valve cover) while idling. You should hear a hissing sound if its working properly. Also, you should feel a strong vaccuum immediately when you press your finger to cover the valve.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:33 PM
tollbooth the issue were having is we are hearing a hissing when the pcv is installed in the valve cover.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
according to the FSM, you can check this by removing the PCV valve from the rocker cover (valve cover) while idling. You should hear a hissing sound if its working properly. Also, you should feel a strong vaccuum immediately when you press your finger to cover the valve.
Yep, that's one way to do it. I used my MityVac and attempted to apply about 19hg of pressure. It leaked a bit even with minimal vacuum. I got the OEM valve from Nissan for $12. Keep in mind, the valve is going to hiss, even under normal operation. Mine was hissing very loudly and clearly wasn't performing the way it should.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by afmafia
tollbooth the issue were having is we are hearing a hissing when the pcv is installed in the valve cover.
Just saying that you should check this BEFORE you decide its not working properly. Its supposed to hiss somewhat...if its working. It shouldn't be too loud though.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
That's interesting, back in the day, we changed the PCV valve with every tune up. And back then, we did that every 20,000 miles. I'll check mine as soon as I get a chance.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:58 PM
for 12 bucks it was worth changing

Old 10-28-2009, 08:45 PM
i payed 9 at dealer

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Check those PCV valves