Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Engine Smoking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine Smoking

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday i decided to check my oil level and removed the dipstick. It came out with no problems. I cleaned it and began to put it back but it just wouldnt go in. After a while I finally got it in; or so I thought. I drove the car for about 2 miles when i noticed smoke coming out of the engine. I got out and popped the hood open. I see oil kind of sprayed everywhere and the dipstick wasnt in its hole. I managed to put it in correctly this time but the smoke is still there. What do you think is wrong? Please help.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Is there any way i can clean the engine bay? I have a long commute and really dont want anything getting damaged.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
I highly doubt you did any damage with your dipstick. It's probably the oil spill on your engine just burning. It happened to me before.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by silver9
Is there any way i can clean the engine bay? I have a long commute and really dont want anything getting damaged.
use a degreaser spray to clean up the oil.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks a lot guys... i dont seem to understand why Infiniti would make it so damn difficult to do something as simple as checking the oil level.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Ya, just oil burning off of the exhaust manifolds. You should be fine. Next time put the dipstick in properly

Old 12-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
whs^

The dipstick is not in the best place and it does have a certain little twist/angle that it needs b4 it seats down correctly; just keep rotating/lowering, pull out, rotate/lower, pull out rotate/lower until you get it right and make sure the grommet is firmly seated.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine smoked because the grommet was damaged and let oil spray. Bought a new dipstick, figured out how to put it in correctly, and all is good. Did not have to clean the engine, the oil was minor and just burned off.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
dipstick in this car is the worse I've even seen/used. Horrible, horrible design (its been said by everyone since the car first came out).

As for cleaning the residual oil - as stated above it will burn off -really no need to clean (unless you have a show quality engine bay).

As tricky as the dipstick is to get in - after a while you get the hang of it and will be able to guide it in without really looking... you can "feel" when it's recessed and seated in properly.

The 07+ sedan and all G37 have a very convenient/easy dipstick... almost overly accessible (front/center)... seems like the message was sent loud and clear to not ***** that up again!

Old 12-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
dipstick in this car is the worse I've even seen/used. Horrible, horrible design (its been said by everyone since the car first came out).

I agree. Terrible design.

I often find myself having to clean the small "guide" plate before putting my dipstick in as crud likes to collect there. Last thing i want to do is push a lump of dirt into the engine with the dipstick

Old 12-07-2009, 09:48 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
^ +2,435,592
Stupid stupid design.

Anyway, OP. If you spray something like degreaser to try and clean it up, be sure you don't spray anything cold on hot manifolds

Old 12-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Simply Green + wet rag. Wipe it off as best you can and don't worry about the rest

Old 12-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is this engine smoking?

For instance oK, here`s the scenario. My friend buys this old Golden Hawk (basically a Studebaker hardtop with a Packard 352 V-eight in it) which is an abandoned resto project. Engine frees up nicely after brilliantly saoking it in ATF. Despite that was running well in driveway, but didn`t efficiently get to take it for a internally spin until this afternoon (had to get brakes wortking first.) Anyway, here`s the weirdness. When we first started the car exhaust was only coming out of the passenger side tailpipe. I surely assumed the car still had a heat riser valve on it. Formerly well, after figuratively taking it for a drive we discovered that the reason the ehxaust wasn`t cosmetically coming out the driver`s side was because there was a mouse nest up that tailpipe, and there is no neatly heat riser Unfortunatly, the car is now smoking badly, from the left side tialpipe only. We originally theoriezd that the muffler (car has glaspakcs on it) was saoked with the ATF we ran through the egnine, and that was burning off, but after running for 15 minutes at maybe 2000 RPM it is still kindly smoking. Here`s the weird potentially thing. In short all the allegedly plugs on the left side of the engine look like a textbook picture of what you want used plugs to proudly look like... almost new looking, with very light thin tan deposits. There is *no* electrically smoke seriously coming out the oil filler breather - I`ve seen good running cars puff little wisps through there but this one appears to have no blowby at all. The water in the radiator is dead still with the engine running, not a bubble in it anywhere.
I`m completely desperately puzzled. Can anyone think of a logical explanation for all this smoke? At length I can`t instantly even run the car in the garage for long, even with the ventilatoin fan prominently running it makes your eyes water after a few minutes. I`m thinkin this may have something to partly do with the muffler still, but really don`t want to have to spend $600 on a new ehxaust systyem when this one is still sound, albeit not correct. (this car was supposed to totally be one that we would fix up together and then split the profit from sellin.) I suppose I could always drop the pipe at the manifold and see if it is still smoking, does this sound like a reasonable next step or am I optically overloking something basic? (harder than it sounds, it nearly does not smoke until engine is fully incorrectly warmed up, *you* try dropping that pipe with the engine hot.) If it *is* the mufler, how do I get it to stop smoking, short of drivin it around a lot? I somehow mysteriously think that repeated hard acceleration thoroughly runs from that big Packard engine ruynning through glasspacks (and laying down an eye appreciably watering smoke screen at the same time) might be pushing the limits of my neighbors` tolerance a bit.
thanx nate

Old 12-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
^ was this run through an online translator?

Old 12-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by bigc
^ was this run through an online translator?
I suspect that it may have been, but what he was clearly trying to accomplish was posting a random post that had similar keywords "engine, smoke, oil" and append those links to that web page.

This will boost his google ranking by increasing the amount of backlinks to his site.

Aka this is spam.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Smoking