Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Engine is SMOKING PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine is SMOKING PLEASE HELP!!

Hi, Guys I have been a Infiniti owner and I like my G35 but recently have been in a dilemma.
My G35 is an 03 G35 manual Transmission with 125,000 miles and now what is happening is at start up and when driving the vehicle blue smokes is seen from the exhaust.

I Have 2 Options, Sell it or Fix it

-I can rebuild it with new pistons, rings and bearings. I do have an 06 long Block with reletively low miles that i was planning on using in the future for Boost.
Here is my question Can I use the 06 revup Block? So I can use the revup block so I can build it. Then when it is time i can remove the engine from the vehicle and pretty much perform a long block replacement.

-Another option people tell me is why not upgrade and buy a complete used revup engine with everything including harness ecu and heads. Dont really want to do this since there is so many oil consumption motors.

-Another option people tell me is why not buy a used automatic engine 03-05. Since it might not have been abused. But dont know if it will work, everything is going to math up?

Please Guys I did my research but want to know what other people think I should do. Dont really want to sell my baby

Old 01-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
It sounds like your head gasket is bad - blue smoke in exhaust. You could probably just replace that and be ok for now, depending on your compression.

You can use the revup block and be fine. I'd recommend getting a wiring harness and ECU.

I always thought a long block was the whole motor, heads and all.

You could use an auto engine and just swap directly, no problems. Just cuz its 5AT doesn't mean there was no abuse....stupid people. LOL.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
If the head gasket was blown, you would know by now as there would be over heating and oil in your coolant and vice versa. You may just have a worn out motor. If you see more smoke when you decelerate then it's most likely rings. If it's at start up only, it's valve guides. if it's both, it's both.

Pull your oil filler cap and look for a chocolat milkshake foam on the inside. If you see it, you have a blown head gasket. Check the dip stick for same. Look in your coolant over flow for same. If you find it in any of those locations, you need a new head gasket.