Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

TEIN Lowering Springs Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 12:57 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: TEIN Lowering Springs Questions

1. Word to the wise, im racing has had serious known problems delivering on the goods that people order from them, go to my350z.com, their have been a lot of complaint threads, I would NOT order from them because I would not want worry about finding myself in need to make a simular post. You would be better off to order the springs from
www.gruppe-s.com and they are a sponcer here.

2. Any time you do a suspension install you do need to have the car aligned. Due to the mild drop you should not need to pay for extra parts to get back into spec.

3. G35 lowering springs all take into account the mild nature of the shocks the cars come from the factory with. This show's up in the mild nature of the spring rates vs oem spring rates on the aftermarket lowering springs, here take a look. Notice that many are SOFTER! then the stock springs

RSR G35 coupe springs (progressive front and rear)
315/315 F+0 R-8%
Transfers +8% roll stiffness to front

Hotchkis 350Z springs (linear springs)
340/330 F+8% R-3%
Transfers +12% roll stiffness to front

Tein H-tech 350z (fronts are progressive, rears are linear)
358/375 F+14% R+11%
Transfers +3% roll stiffness to front

Tein H-tech G35 coupe & sedan(fronts are progressive, rears are linear)
324/260 F+ 5% R-22%
Transfers +27% roll stiffness to front

Tein S-tech G35 coupe & sedan (fronts are progressive, rears are linear)
358/274 R+14% R-18%
Transfers +32% roll stiffness to front

Tanabe GF210 Series 350Z
336/375 F+7% R+10%
Transfers +3% roll stiffness to rear

Tanabe NF210 Series 350Z
314/353 F+0 R+3%
Transfers +3% roll stiffness to rear

Tanabe NF210 Springs G35 COUPE
297/336 F-5% R-2%
Transfers +3% roll stiffness to front

Tanabe DF210 Springs G35 COUPE
308/353 F-2% R+3%
Transfers +5% roll stiffness to front

Tanabe NF210 Springs G35 SEDAN
297/269 F-5% R-21%
Transfers 17% roll stiffness to front

Tanabe DF210 Springs G35 SEDAN
286/280 F-9% R-18%
Transfers +9 roll stiffness to rear

Given that your car is a lease, I would not worry about the oem shocks lasting at all. In the same breath, shock life will face a greater threat from a excess drop amount (1.5"+) and too weak spring stiffness that doesn't prevent bottoming out the shocks internally. Tokico D-specs are excellent cost effective way $499 to ramp up the way the car rides and drives. They are double adjustable (Koni's are single adjustable), they can be set softer then the oem shocks or firmer. I have driven on them and I can vouch for how well they make the car better.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 09-22-2004, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a set of H techs & absolutly love them...just the right amount of drop plus the ride is just as soft as stock You will need an allignment after the install but you'll be able to get it back to spec w/ out a problem. Try ebay...I've seen them there for very cheap.

XMLM

Old 09-22-2004, 04:37 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

you can also find tein s-techs on ebay for 150 or less shipped anyday

Old 09-22-2004, 04:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look into the H techs for the 350Z.
The spring rates are much better. The G Htechs, are way softer than stock springs!

"I like you.....You remind me of myself when I was young and foolish"

Old 09-23-2004, 09:10 AM

If the primary criteria is to lower the Coupe by just under an inch, what springs should be used? The Coupe H techs might not lower enough and are relatively soft. Eibach and S Tech for the Coupe seem to lower too much. As for Z springs, do we need to adjust the advertised drops to compensate for differences in stock springs and vehicle weights, such that Z S Techs wouldnt just be .7 and .6 as on the Z? Thanks.

Old 09-23-2004, 04:00 PM

the best all-around performance springs for the coupe are without a doubt going to be the RS*R springs (the 350Z ones, though) - they transfer a good amount of roll stiffness to rear with more aggressive spring rates than are found in any other spring made specifically for the G35 coupe while also only lowering 0.8" front and rear... If I decide against going with Tein Basic Coilovers, I am definitely getting these springs (and later pairing them with the Tokico D-Spec shocks)

2003.5 BS coupe 5AT
Clear Corners, Alum. Pedals, Pro-1 Intake, Resonated Test Pipes, UR Pulley, CF Engine Cover, GReddy EVO II, Kinetix Plenum, Hotchkis Sways, Pro-1 Headers

Old 09-27-2004, 08:48 AM

I would recommend the RSR down springs for the 350z. My friend put them on his coupe and it looks and feels great. they advertise a .6 drop for 350z. i think he measured around .9 to an inch on his coupe. Im going to order some as soon as i get the money.
my opinions.

Jump and the net will appear

04 5at coupe
t. blue, premium
performance w&t, splash guards
z-tube, k&n filter, clear corners, alum. pedals
30% Huper Optic

Old 09-27-2004, 10:42 AM

I know an allignment will be necessary with the RSR springs, but will you need any otehr modifications with them to get the allignment back to spec

Old 10-07-2004, 01:08 AM

AL503 has RSR springs on his coupe. I don't know if they are the 350Z version. His car kicks a$$ on the track (or maybe he just kicked mine).

03.5 5AT-S (Black-Willow-Premium-Sport-Aero-10 Wire GroundingGear™-Silverstars-PIAA LEDs-PopCharger-Z Tube-Tint-Stillen Dual Exhaust)

Old 10-07-2004, 08:16 AM

If I'm not mistaken AL503 also needed about $1000 in additional camber and toe adjustments (both front and back) because his drop was a little too low to stay within stock "nominal" alignment specs.

A good friend of mine has the RS-R's (for the 350Z) on his G35 and took a good amount of time deciding which springs to buy. Like most, he started off wanting a full coilover set, did his homework and ended up with the RS-R's.

Several things to remember:
1. Add ~0.5" of drop to any spring advertised for the 350Z.
2. Always mention if your springs are for the G or the Z. This helps other posters give you advice.
3. Really read up on "roll stiffness" and "oversteer/understeer" and analyze your driving habits. The 3% roll stiffness that the H-Techs for the Z transfer to the front wheels should keep your car handling like stock. You can always add sways if you like later.
4. Really read up on spring rates and understand what they mean.
5. Consider any understeer you might be adding by changing tire tread widths. Stock 225/45/18 and 245/45/18 gives you some understeer, a 245/35/19 and 275/35/19 will give you another (additional) understeer. If you are going with larger rims, you will not want to bend them. The tire profile will be smaller, thus transfering more of the loading from the potholes and bumps in the road to your shocks. Make sure to ask yourself, "do I really want shocks that are 40% stiffer, and a smaller sidewall just to do 80% highway driving and 20% city driving?" Also factor in whether or not you want to track the car and if so, how often. This should all help to lead you to the right set of springs or coilovers.

I recently did this (last few days) and my choice were the Tein H-Techs for the 350Z. Other people have made the same considerations and ended up with another product. For me, I will not be tracking the car, wanted a drop for asthetic reasons only, wanted something that would eventually work well with larger rims/tires, would handle near the stock set up, would have spring rates that would not kill my stock shocks and not cost an arm and a leg. I am also trying to avoid buying front control arms and toe and camber adjustment for the rear end of the vehicle.

Good Luck with your research and feel free to querry Gsedan35 and AL503. These 2 posters really helped me substantially!!!

Old 10-07-2004, 12:08 PM

Yeah. I've spent about $220 on rear camber rods and toe bolts so far. I'll need to spend another $370-$850 (depending on which model I go with) on the upper control arms for the fronts. Waiting to see the new cusco's that are supposed to be out in Nov.

With the ~1" drop, I couldn't get the fronts back in max spec nor the left rear. I think my right rear is maxed out but still in spec.

Neff, looks like you know just about as much as I do now.